• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DEFINITELY the worst MEPS question ever. (Like, EVER)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I thought electronic emissions were required to be tested by the FCC prior to sale to the public? Isn't that what those stamps and seals are all about on every piece of electronic hardware that you buy?

That sticker basically means is that while the gadget does transmit, its transmitting power is certified to be below some established threshold. (If you're really curious, try an online search using keywords like "unintentional radiator," "intentional radiator," "FCC sticker.")

As HAL explained, although it's a long shot it's possible for crappy wiring in, oh, the odd airliner or maybe even old-ass naval aircraft, to inadvertently work as an antenna for stray 'trons.

Kinda like when you drive an old car under a bridge and you can hear the engine ignition noise on the AM radio. Does anyone else remember that? :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I fly the oldest-ass naval aircraft, and routinely fly with my cell on/receive(miss) calls/and send text messages back to the rear. No issues.

If your aircraft was designed for the age of sail, it shouldn't be bothered at all by electronic emissions.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I fly the oldest-ass naval aircraft, and routinely fly with my cell on/receive(miss) calls/and send text messages back to the rear. No issues.

That means you've got good avionics techs, or wherever you carry your phone isn't too close to any avionics, or both. :) No, really.

And I'm not trying to say that consumer electronics will make planes fall out of the sky. Honestly, I turn my phone off on airline flights because that's the rule. And I have often "forgot" (ahem) to do that on naval aircraft (old and new) and have heard a nuisance buzz in my headset (right as the phone started vibrating) exactly once ever- and I'd put money on the cause of that being some random wire in the avionics not having its shielding wire properly grounded.*

It's a long shot. Possible, yes, but a long shot. I'd worry less about my avionics going bonkers than I would about the phone in my pocket suddenly vibrating right as I'm trying to flare (helo or f/w... note to self- don't put phone in either chest pocket again).

And the Phrog isn't oldest-ass... it's like a fine wine or a well aged whiskey ;)

*Edit- it's not magic or some mysterious dark art- either stuff is put together right and properly maintained or it's not.

phrogpilot73

And the Phrog isn't oldest-ass... it's like a fine wine or a well aged whiskey ;)
Which reminds me of a story...

I was giving a young 1stLt one of his initial HLL X's, and he crossed over to the other side of the formation. Violently. Like I thought I was going to be thrown out the cockpit door violently. We land, and I debrief and say "Dude, the Phrog is like a mature woman. You have to seduce her and romance her. She's not like say, a Cobra, that you would treat like the dirty little slut she is."

It worked.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
So are you going to make it in time for this Dec board?

My recruiter tells me I will, but he's never been concerned about the MEPS date. He just said I needed to make sure I got all 10 fingerprints done and sent or unfavorable delays could occur, so I did that. So here's hoping!

BDfan88

My recruiter tells me I will, but he's never been concerned about the MEPS date. He just said I needed to make sure I got all 10 fingerprints done and sent or unfavorable delays could occur, so I did that. So here's hoping!
How did you do on the vision tests? I hated the depth perception test. I felt like I was guessing the whole time but I passed A-D.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
How did you do on the vision tests? I hated the depth perception test. I felt like I was guessing the whole time but I passed A-D.

I nailed A-D right away, E took me a little bit, and F took me a solid two minutes. I just couldn't see it until I envisioned it correctly. The vision doc was very nice about letting me try harder...I've heard not everyone gets the same flexibility.

That said, I'm 20/20 with no issues on any of the other tests.

Now the HEARING test, for one of the frequency ranges I scored a 35 in my left ear. My doc told me that's the absolute threshold before DQ. I think it was mostly due to other circumstances (e.g., hearing other people clicking buttons in the small testing cubicle, not having headset pressed closely enough to my head until almost done with the test, etc.).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Which reminds me of a story...

I was giving a young 1stLt one of his initial HLL X's, and he crossed over to the other side of the formation. Violently. Like I thought I was going to be thrown out the cockpit door violently. We land, and I debrief and say "Dude, the Phrog is like a mature woman. You have to seduce her and romance her. She's not like say, a Cobra, that you would treat like the dirty little slut she is."

It worked.
I'm told the side stick on the A330s is very sensative and when not actually moving it, you just kind of hold your hand around it but really don't touch it. The instructors always say "pretend its a dick and it's not yours" while make a disgusted look and jerking their hands off it. I was riding the jumpseat into Vegas and the FO was way overcontrolling while coming into land. The Captain says "it's not your dick" and the FOs's hand came flying backwards. The plane smoothed out and I could see the FO was was now barely touching the stick when he put his hand back on it versus having his hand clamped around it. (I wonder how our female pilots fly it......)