• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Defending the Constitution

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, this came up in another thread when I misspoke about my duty being to the bosses vice the Constitution. Here's a short, but good article from a prior Naval Aviator arguing that the military doesn't provide adequate training to understand what it means to defend the Constitution.

U.S. Military Not Ready for a Constitutional Crisis
While I am not a fan of anyone creating a political platform as a guide to greater understanding (that guy baaaaddd, this guy goooood) the author has some good points. Instruction on the importance and meaning of the Constitution is important and should be a thing. All kidding aside, I would gladly dump the AKO/NKO pointless class of the moment for a good Constitution Day activity.

Defending the Constitution is our primary duty, there can be no arguing that.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I am not a fan of anyone creating a political platform as a guide to greater understanding (that guy baaaaddd, this guy goooood) the author has some good points. Instruction on the importance and meaning of the Constitution is important and should be a thing. All kidding aside, I would gladly dump the AKO/NKO pointless class of the moment for a good Constitution Day activity.

Defending the Constitution is our primary duty, there can be no arguing that.
Yeah, I think there’s absolutely room to argue that good, nonpartisan civics training of some sort wouldn’t be a bad idea.

taxi1

pilot
The phrase that launched a thousand POM cycles and a billion PowerPoint slides
The Congress shall have Power...To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
The founders truly feared a standing Army, and built in a timer to ensure their temporary nature, that the 5 sided building now does battle with.

But the Navy is not restricted to that cycle
...To provide and maintain a Navy;

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
If it didn't sink in during your K-12 experience, what's one more class going to do?

Things that weren't emphasized much or at all throughout my K-12 experience:
  • How credit/loans/etc. work
  • Media literacy
  • The nuances of a military officer's oath with regard to the Constitution and orders
Things that were emphasized a lot:
  • Sex is for a husband and wife
  • The devil put dino fossils here to test our faith
  • -Screams in math-

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Things that weren't emphasized much or at all throughout my K-12 experience:
  • How credit/loans/etc. work
  • Media literacy
  • The nuances of a military officer's oath with regard to the Constitution and orders
Things that were emphasized a lot:
  • Sex is for a husband and wife
  • The devil put dino fossils here to test our faith
  • -Screams in math-
The helicopter is strong in this one...