• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deciding to reapply for 183

Status
Not open for further replies.

megrey06

Kingsville
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I've made up my mind to reapply for OCC-183 following my denial for 182. It hasn't been an easy decision for various reasons (many of which anyone else who did not get 182 probably understands), but when I take away all the fluff I know in my gut that it is absolutely what I want to do ("it" being become a Marine and fly).

I don't know who else might be struggling with the same decision, so I thought I would illustrate a little of the process that I have gone through. (For those of you who got in or those that had no trouble making the decision to reapply, this may be a little boring.)

I have been at this process for almost a year including the time I spent working with the Navy recruiter (prior to my "seeing the light"). The Navy told me that they were chock full and only taking those with very high GPA's, high flight time etc.

On the day (June '02) that I found out that I was not selected by the Millington crowd (Navy), I called the Atlanta OSO's office and talked with the Gunny there. After some light persuasion and when he found out that my father had been a mustang officer in the Corps, he agreed to meet with me.

We originally started working towards the October '02 OCS class, but I had developed shin-splints and my pull-ups weren't quite where they needed to be. I made the call to delay sending my package until the board met in December so that my PFT would be more on par.

My final PFT for this board was a 241. Under normal circumstances, that may have been enough. However, as most of you know the last eight months or so in aviation recruiting have been anything but normal. I feel like the remainder of my package is competitive. I have high test scores, quality rec's etc.

What I've been told is that this particular board had the highest average PFT score recorded in quite a while. Out of 40 applicants, they only took 25 and nobody from my state was picked up (ground, law or air). I only mention the numbers to say that these are very competitive times, and anyone applying or thinking about it needs to reaffirm their commitment to becoming a Marine and make sure that their package is absolutely everything that it can be.

Anyway, I know that I have to put my name in the hat just one more time or I'm always going to wonder if I really did everything that I could to make this happen. After I got the call from my OSO on the Thursday after Christmas, I was down and started looking at all the civilian flight schools. I was ready to move to sunny Florida and just make it happen on my own (not to mention borrow $50k to do it). But I know that even though that might enable me to fly for a living, I still want to serve. I want to be a part of a community unlike any other and share in the camraderie among fellow Marines and aviators. I know that those that are there now can attest to this - I've never met a Marine who couldn't.

To anyone out there, in any service, that is considering dropping out of the game and just moving on - I say give it one more shot. Don't wake up and be 40 and say what the heck have I done with my life. I'm 26 and married with a good career going. My wife just got a great job here in town and she's making more than me. But she's willing to drop it to follow me. That support is crucial, and I couldn't consider this without it. I know that I have to improve my PFT and get it somewhere in the 275+ range to make myself competitive. It won't be easy. Nobody said I had to like it, I just have to do it.

Hope you guys don't mind me sharing my thoughts. I didn't mean for this to come out sounding like a Tony Robbins testimonial, but just putting my thoughts into words helps me reaffirm my decision.

Best of luck to everyone, and I'll buy you a beer in Q-town when I get there in June.

-Matt

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Ooh-Rah Matt...
I can relate to the way you feel about becoming a marine, and I also would recommend that you give it another shot. It took me three years straight of filing for medical waivers to get me into OCS. As a matter of fact, I was told by a lieutenant that I set the record for most requests for medical waivers ever in my district. Every other person who had applied and got rejected as much as I did quit, but I stuck with it.
I still remember the phone call I got from my OSO at 7 AM the day my waiver came through- he was even more excited about me getting it than I was! I went to OCS last summer and here I am today, just finishing up my last semester of college, and heading off to TBS after that.
For what its worth, the people on the review boards DO look at how many times you've applied for OCS, and that IS a positive factor on your record- that you've failed gracefully and have come back to try again.

I'm not trying to sound like a friggin fairy tale or something here, I just want to provide a little bit more motivation in that it CAN work out with persistance, and that I know how frustrating it can be at times to have your own personal dream reject you.

Don't give up.

Semper Fi

davidsin

I hear ya Matt and texman-

I origionally was shooting for class 180 ground. I didn't quite make the pft (225), so I decided to try 181. I got injured (hernia) dealt with the splints, etc. all that pretty much brought my pft down to below first class, so I decided to try for 182 air since ground closed up. For 182 I passed the flight physical/astb but there were waivers that I had to get cleared. I'm pretty much good to go and my self pft was 279. I'm just waiting on my waiver to come in. It was a long hard road for me as well (over a year), but I've been told to stay the coarse and stay motivated, and good things could happen. I am too 26 years old.

Don't be discouraged by anything. Think positive about everything and stay motivated. If the splints are getting you down...don't even sweat that. It'll go away. Just eat good, run every other day and mix the routine with some humps in between the runs, c-train on the days you're not running, and do a good stretch routine before and after every workout.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

megrey06

Kingsville
David and Taxman,

'preciate the support. I look forward to all that may come to pass in the coming months.

-Matt

Beaver

Matt,
It's encouraging to hear that you've decided to reapply. I agree that the Marines look highly on perseverance and dedication so I'm sure you'll be fine. I first applied for the 181 class but got denied along with everyone else. I was really down for a while but I decided that I really wanted to be a Marine and couldn't picture myself doing anything else at this point in my life so I reapplied for an aviation slot for 182. After a lot of hard work and stressful months, I found out I got in and it was well worth it. Even if I hadn't, though, I almost certainly would have reapplied again for the next class. Anyone who gives up after one after one or two tries probably doesn't want to be a Marine bad enough or isn't strong enough mentally.
Stick with it and good luck.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey guys,

Since everyone is pouring there hearts out I guess I might as well add to the mix. I will keep it short. Got shot down by the Navy .... and as with you Beaver, I was on the phone with the Marine OSO 5 minutes after I got off the phone with my Navy recruiter. I am 27 ... going to be 28 in April. After letting him know just how much this means to me he told me about applying for the age waiver and that he would be more than happy to help me out (gotta take the ASTB again cause I got 5,5 instead of 5,6 but that will be no problem). He told me exactly what to focus on (PFT!!!!!) and was actually really cool and willing to help me.

I too am looking at the civilian flight schools (as a back up) but I won't stop trying to get in untill I am no longer qualified (i.e. age) and even then I will probably try something (haha). But seriously ..... what's the worst that can happen .... they say no .... what's the best that can happen ..... fullfillment of a lifelong dream. I pick #2. Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

-Spin

davidsin

one question...what's the age limit for a Marine aircontract anyway?

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Davidson,

My recruiter said that it is 27 1/2 but that I can apply for a waiver. Others on this board have also said that age (within reason) is not as much of a factor with the Marines as long as you have among other things a great PFT but maybe someone else could elaborate as the only hard facts I have are what my recruiter said.

Peace,

-Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.