• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deciding between USNA and USAFA

AppleJuice

I know there is a lot of information out there to help people make similar, if not the exact same decisions as this one. However, I would like to ask some slightly more specific questions to clear some things up for me. I was given appointments to both academies, and my goal would be to fly. I know there is good opportunity for that at both academies, but if my ultimate goal is to fly fighters, would it be dumb to base my decision partially off of which academy might give me a better shot at that? My older brother is at USNA and is about to graduate with a pilot slot and was telling me it is so unpredictable in terms of what each branch needs that it might not be smart to base my decision on that at all.

Also, for those of you who may have originally wanted to fly fighters and ended up with something bigger, what are your thoughts? It would be nice to get an idea on what that might be like. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any information you can give me to help make a good decision, though I know ultimately, I can't go wrong with either.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I concur with your brother that basing your decision over likelihood of flying fighters at this point is not a good idea.

Your brother is correct that there are too many factors in play to know what you’re going to fly in either service. Choose the academy you’d like to go to based on the overall culture of the service and which one is a better for for you.

I wanted jets and ended up in helos. It’s not a big deal. You’ll end up liking whatever you fly. Kind of a cliche answer but I never sit there and think, “Man I wish I got jets 8 years ago.” You’ll either get jets or you’ll get over it fast.

I would also suggest looking into duty stations in both services and thinking about which places you’d want to live or not live.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Having never attended either institution, I can't give any accurate advice. And being an old fart, the final product (winged aviators) out of flight training for both services may be completely different from when I went through in the late '70's. General consensus back then (for the tactical jet side at least) was that the Navy produced a much superior initial product because students were introduced to all aspects of the tactical mission (low levels, weapons delivery, air combat maneuvering, etc.) prior to getting winged, whereas the Air Force studs basically winged with just basic fam, instrument, and formation flying and would get all of the tactical side once they were awarded their specific platform. Navy guys would naturally get advanced tactical training for their platform once they got to the FRS. We used to say that the Air Force might have had a slightly better product once they were in the "fleet" for awhile, because all of their training was devoted to the mission, whereas the Navy guys were forced to use a significant amount of their training time to stay proficient for landing on the boat. But like I mentioned, things may have changed dramatically since then. I haven't really kept up with all of the different changes that have taken place through the years. I may be somewhat biased, but if you want to live the country club lifestyle, choose the Air Force. If you like getting getting dirty once in awhile and being a better all-around officer and manager in the end, the Navy is the way to go.

Pcoola19

I’d base a large portion of the decision on what branch has jobs/lifestyles outside of the pilot path that you’d enjoy more. There’s always a chance you get medically disqualified or can’t snag a spot so would you rather be a SWO/Submariner/Marine or are there a swath of Air Force jobs that sound more appealing? Personally the higher likelihood of flying fixed wing, numerous civilian transferable careers (including Space Force commissions), and lifestyle, I’d take USAFA any day.

exNavyOffRec

I’d base a large portion of the decision on what branch has jobs/lifestyles outside of the pilot path that you’d enjoy more. There’s always a chance you get medically disqualified or can’t snag a spot so would you rather be a SWO/Submariner/Marine or are there a swath of Air Force jobs that sound more appealing? Personally the higher likelihood of flying fixed wing, numerous civilian transferable careers (including Space Force commissions), and lifestyle, I’d take USAFA any day.
Do you like golf? :)

I have known or worked with those who went to one of the other, some have been happy, some have not. I was at a VFW function with a guy that had recently finished his commitment with the USAF and he wanted to fly "jets" or more specific "fighters", he ended up flying transports, said he couldn't wait to leave, another didn't get picked up pilot but instead was sent to be a missile guy and was bored to death, but my friends son went USAF and then selected for flight training but wasn't able to complete, he however loves his new job, it is like many will say "grow were you are planted". I know similar USN stories, knew a guy that was USNA that wasn't picked up for SNA or SNFO, ended up SWO and always talked about how he was "better than guys that got SNA", but also know a guy that was USNA and failed flight school, went Supply and has had a stellar career.

If you really want aviation maybe you should pay for college yourself and then try OCS where you can say SNA or nothing.

Like has been said what would you do if you didn't get aviation? Either by luck of the draw or maybe finding out there was a medical issue that DQ you from aviation?

A Day In The Life

pilot
Can’t describe it much better than Bob Norris:

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

drgndrvr

pilot
I graduated from USNA, flew helos, and did my shore tour as a NROTC instructor. Feel free to ping me with any specific questions.

Honestly, you've received great advice here already. I'll try to put this in a decision framework:

1. Do you want to be, above all else, an officer in the military? Others have said it, but I'll say it again: there are many things outside of your control when picking an occupation. You can do everything right and not be able to fly. There is nothing worse than an officer who doesn't want to be where he or she is and poisons the service experience for those around him/her.
2. If so, do you have any strong preferences? For example, a specific branch, or specific commissioning source? Or are you open to all avenues of commissioning and hopefully flying? There are very real cultural differences between the branches and, as posted above, between the Air Force and the Navy. Those may or may not matter to you. If you're open to all avenues then you have ample opportunities to commission; for example:
a. Apply to service academies and national ROTC scholarships. Choose between these. If none of these work out (this process is specific to NROTC):
b. Attend a school with ROTC options and "walk on" your freshman year. Apply for national scholarship. If this doesn't work out:
c. Continue with ROTC and apply for a 3 year scholarship. If this doesn't work out:
d. Continue with ROTC and apply for a 2 year scholarship. if this doesn't work out:
e. Apply for OCS. If this doesn't work out:
f. Maybe think about another career field :) But I doubt you will get to here. From my experience, a student taking the required courses and crushing it in the ROTC unit is next to guaranteed to be picked up for a scholarship.
3. Have you considered the Coast Guard, USCGA and ROTC? Both are very solid options to expand beyond just USAFA and USNA.
4. And finally, regarding numbers, I believe USNA and NROTC commission about 25-30% of their graduates into naval aviation (pilot and NFO).

AppleJuice

What happens if you go to an academy and don’t get a pilot billet??
Ive thought about this a bit and it is one of the reasons usna seems more appealing - there are at least to me, a lot of other exciting options such as subs that usafa doesn't really seem to have. From what I've read and seen your'e somewhat of a second class citizen in the air force if you dont fly

AppleJuice

Can’t describe it much better than Bob Norris:

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.
I've actually seen this a few times and I feel like I would enjoy a lot of the aspects of both branches which still makes it a difficult decision. I must say though, I like that the Air Force is generally much more organized. It has become evident to me on several occasions as my dad was in the Air Force for a long time and comparing that to my brothers experiences at USNA

AppleJuice

I graduated from USNA, flew helos, and did my shore tour as a NROTC instructor. Feel free to ping me with any specific questions.

Honestly, you've received great advice here already. I'll try to put this in a decision framework:

1. Do you want to be, above all else, an officer in the military? Others have said it, but I'll say it again: there are many things outside of your control when picking an occupation. You can do everything right and not be able to fly. There is nothing worse than an officer who doesn't want to be where he or she is and poisons the service experience for those around him/her.
2. If so, do you have any strong preferences? For example, a specific branch, or specific commissioning source? Or are you open to all avenues of commissioning and hopefully flying? There are very real cultural differences between the branches and, as posted above, between the Air Force and the Navy. Those may or may not matter to you. If you're open to all avenues then you have ample opportunities to commission; for example:
a. Apply to service academies and national ROTC scholarships. Choose between these. If none of these work out (this process is specific to NROTC):
b. Attend a school with ROTC options and "walk on" your freshman year. Apply for national scholarship. If this doesn't work out:
c. Continue with ROTC and apply for a 3 year scholarship. If this doesn't work out:
d. Continue with ROTC and apply for a 2 year scholarship. if this doesn't work out:
e. Apply for OCS. If this doesn't work out:
f. Maybe think about another career field :) But I doubt you will get to here. From my experience, a student taking the required courses and crushing it in the ROTC unit is next to guaranteed to be picked up for a scholarship.
3. Have you considered the Coast Guard, USCGA and ROTC? Both are very solid options to expand beyond just USAFA and USNA.
4. And finally, regarding numbers, I believe USNA and NROTC commission about 25-30% of their graduates into naval aviation (pilot and NFO).
What does the track look like for rotary aircraft? My brother was telling me everyone who selects aviation goes to some general flight training for two years, and then everyone gets their airframe including rotary people, who then split off. Is that wrong or is there anything else I should know? I ask because I mentioned originally my goal is to fly, specifically fighters, but helicopters are a pretty exciting option to me as well assuming I would get that far. Also, do you know at all how this contrasts to the track someone might take to fly helicopters from usafa?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Supposedly the percentage of pilot slots out of USNA is higher than USAFA. I’m trying to actually verify if that’s true.

Having seen both sides the airframe choices after flight school vary widely. What you fly after flight school is a crap shoot. Don’t base your choice on that.

I will say that on a whole, I prefer the culture of the Navy over the AF, but that can also be very squadron dependent. However, the AF does give you more opportunity to fly later in your career even if you don’t screen for command. For example, I’m a non-squadron command O-5 and I fly ~30 hours a month and I’ll finish my career flying.

Bottom line, flying in either service is awesome, consider the non-flying aspects to help guide your decision.