• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deciding between two NROTC programs

Tigerman14

Hi all,
Right now I am in the middle of my NROTC scholarship application and I am having a tough time of deciding my number one school. The two schools I am in between on are Oklahoma University and Penn State University. I plan on majoring in Meteorology in college and I understand they are the top schools for meteorology. My goal is to become a naval aviator so I am wondering if one school gives me a better chance to become one than another. In addition, which of the two programs overall is better? Finally, can anyone leave comments on how many midshipmen are in each program and say how they like the program?
Thanks,
John

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My goal is to become a naval aviator so I am wondering if one school gives me a better chance to become one than another

Absolutely not. Anyone who tells you otherwise has sipped too much koolaide from their particular NROTC unit.

lmnop

I don't know a thing about their meteorology programs or likelihood of you becoming an aviator from either program, but Happy Valley is a great place to spend 4 (or more) years.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Penn State is pretty sweet. It was my #3 for NROTC. State College is pretty sick, and you can always go to NYC or Philly for a weekend if you want. And the tail is pretty nice. Big unit though.

Oklahoma is a good school, but you're stuck in the middle of Oklahoma.

BUDU

I go to school 45 minutes east of Penn State. Been there a couple times, know a few professors. My cousin goes there, too. Great school. And I'll echo C420s sentiments, at least about the tail. Can't speak for the unit.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Penn State's Meteorology is as you said, one of the best. However, both schools will net you the meteo degree you desire and since you want to be an Aviator, quite frankly in the end it won't matter how reputable your degree was.

My best advice is to visit both schools and decide which campus you'd like to spend 4 of the best years of your life. Both NROTC programs will lead to a commission, so don't split hairs on that.

Best of luck on your decision.

Bevo16

pilot
Penn State has a better reputation as a University as a whole than OU does, that's for sure. I see you are from Michigan, so you are used to shitty weather and pasty white/chunky women. Penn State won't be much of a change in that regard.

If the quality of tail that you will be surrounded with factors into the equation at all (and if it doesn't, you can stop reading now) you are going to find hotter women at OU. That is due in large part to the 10% rule for the University of Texas system that is forcing so many Texas HS students to go to school north of the Red River. There are plenty of hot co-eds in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Ft. Worth/Austin etc that just can't get into Texas/Tech/Texas State/TAMU. Out of state tuition at OU at Oakie Lite is cheaper than Baylor/SMU/TCU/Rice, so that is a a draw for them as well.

If you are into meteorology, the high concentration of trailer parks in Oklahoma also greatly increases the odds that you will see a tornado up close while you are in school. So OU has that going for them as well.

Penn State has a fossil on their sidelines at football games, that is interesting.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fuck oklahoma. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Never going back.

Go to happy valley.

Norman did have some good looking girls, but only because they were too dumb to get into UT. Penn State has more than its share of good looking girls too.

I'm down with snowboard chic though, so i might be biased in my opinion of the hotness or notness of a patagonia parka with a beanie and oakley snow goggles on.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Personally I would go Penn State.. This is purely opinionated though..

I Spent a good half of this year out in Oklahoma City before I got my scholarship (Worked for the FAA, we do training there) So I got to hang out and party with some OU people... VERY nice school, and the people there are VERY friendly, but kind of boring out there after awhile... Not to mention it is the 2nd or 3rd most obese city (Fried Pizza, Pies, and LOTS of BBQ).

Penn State on the other hand you gotta deal with the cold for a few months but you are only a few hour car ride from Pittsburgh, Philly, New York, DC etc....

IMO lots more to do and better eye candy from what I saw (I am originally from Pittsburgh)

But ultimately it depends on your taste... If you like the open range and cowboy stuff then OU all the way.. If you don't mind the cold and like to go skiing with hot chicks in tight sweaters Penn State FTMFW

EDIT: I almost forgot!!!! Liquor stores suck in Oklahoma... Near-Beer in the gas stations and warm shit in the stores.. Pennsylvania has state stores where you can drive up, pick up a nice cold case and go on your merry way.. Hell you can even get a 6 pack to go from the bar! (Iron City beer!!!!!!)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Who goes boarding on the east coast....that sounds lame....

Fucking west coast prima donnas. Think they've got a corner on the powder. Stay out west, we don't need you crowding up Vermont.

Disclaimer: I've been to Park City and Big Sky... If I could, I'd probably go back in time and go to college in Montana.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Screw you guys. I went to OU. Hot women, good college football, warm weather. The NROTC program is good there.

My only advice is to actually get involved at school go to the functions and meet people. Campus Corner is fun and the UT/OU rivalry is an exciting thing to be a part of.
The academics, while Bevo may disagree are getting a LOT better and President Boren is successfully improving things to make it just like a University of Texas in that regard.
Norman is an awesome place to be during the school year. There actually is a lot of fun to be had and places to go and see.

The meteorology school there is like Top 5 or something in the nation and the National Weather Center is there..so of course you're getting the best folks in the business giving you your education. Plus, you get to go storm chasing! There is plenty of convective weather in the area. In other words, you'll never get bored in that regard during March-May chasing tornadoes.

Anyway, if you're serious about the move to Norman, don't hesitate to PM me.

Good luck with your decision. Boomer Sooner! ;)

sickboy

pilot
Go to Penn State, that way we'll get to play at Gap. Feel free to PM me with any questions about PSU.