• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deciding between paths..

FunWithGuns

Im a junior in highschool and weighing my options for a commission in the Marines. I want to go to a public university in Texas (current resident). I'm trying to decide between PLC and NROTC Marine option.

The pluses for NROTC is they pay tuition upfront, and the opportunities of summer cruises. I'm only looking at paying $6,000 a year for tuition, not even taking into account generous financial aid.

With PLC the extra money I would get from having 3 years in when I graduate would in years time, offset the tuition.

I understand some people need the close supervision and early PT to keep them on track, but I am very self motivated and get everything taken care of.

Am I overlooking anything? Im just looking for guidance from someone who has been there and done that.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Go to Texas A&M, join the Corps of Cadets, and see the OSO in College Station. You don't have to make a final decision about which track you take just yet. I'd apply for everything available to you, including the academy, and then figure out which one fits best for you.

You're on the right track and asking the right questions. Good luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Except that he can have a 4 year scholarship out of HS if he applies now.

If you're going to a cheap college, PLC will probably be financially better in the long run.

If you want to go somewhere more expensive, go NROTC. I think the $85K I got from NROTC offset the time in grade advantage I would've gotten in PLC.

Whatever you do, don't be an Aggie--they're gay. :icon_smil

I recommend that if you can get accepted, pick the most expensive and best NROTC school you possibly can, e.g. Penn, Cornell, MIT. Definitely one that doesn't do a corps of cadets or any of that malarky.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Except that he can have a 4 year scholarship out of HS if he applies now.

I was assuming he was still going to do that. Maybe a bad assumption.

If you're going to a cheap college, PLC will probably be financially better in the long run.

If you want to go somewhere more expensive, go NROTC. I think the $85K I got from NROTC offset the time in grade advantage I would've gotten in PLC.

Good advice.

Whatever you do, don't be an Aggie--they're gay. :icon_smil

I recommend that if you can get accepted, pick the most expensive and best NROTC school you possibly can, e.g. Penn, Cornell, MIT. Definitely one that doesn't do a corps of cadets or any of that malarky.

Terrible advice. Don't let the bitterness of chopper-land rub off on the lad.:icon_smil

stew47

As the proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009 A WHOOP!!!, I concur with Harrier Dude. Come to TAMU....you won't regret it! Born in Corpus, but raised in lil' J'ville, TX, I never heard of the traditions that TAMU had. Now that I am here, I have embraced these traditions and will always remember them.

The Corps of Cadets are the backbone to our traditions. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? The TAMU Corps of Cadets will not only prepare you for your career, but you will have the best four years of your life as well.

FunWithGuns

I have toured College Station and loved everything except the Corps of Cadets, it may be great for some, not not my kind of thing. Of course Im looking at A&M. I dont want to be like all those hippies up in Austin wearin orange and sippin tea. Tech is out of question... what self respecting university is in a dry county?

In all seriousness, there is a good chance I will be able to graduate from A&M will no debt and a degree, without a ROTC scholarship. That seems like a pretty good situation to be in starting off as a LT on my way to TBS.

I need to do more college research and explore If It would be better in College Station with all the pretty ladies, football, and good music. OR possibly go to more expensive school with a NROTC scholarship.

As I understand it, the Marines dont care if I get a degree in milking ducks as long as I have a degree. As long as I keep my PFT scores in the 270's I should be fine?

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I have toured College Station and loved everything except the Corps of Cadets

Agreed! I had a Cadet tell me I was "enlisted swine" and technically I should salute him because he outranked me (when I was still a nasty enlisted person that is).

A&M is a great school and if you do the Corps that good. They were a little too moto for my liking... but then again so are the Marines ;)
College Station is a good town to live in too. You cannot go wrong if you go that route.

Also look into UT. They have a Navy ROTC program and a Marine OSO in Austin. I would compare the schools and the cities. I liked living in College Station but I loved living in Austin. Just depends on what kind if things you like to do...

Check both out before you make a decision.

BENDER

pilot
Many schools in Texas to choose from, all have there positives and negatives. Try not to make your decision based on the school name or reputation, its all hype and all crap, I made this mistake. Go where your friends go, what best fits your budget, what has the best resources for your major, because when it's all said and done your education is what you make of it.

MasterBates

I had an A&M Cadet type look at me like I should be saluting HIM when I walked by in a bag (with LT bars in plain view) after a 5 yard stare down as he walked by (I was waiting outside Freebirds for a CDR to finish paying) I went "what no salute for commissioned officers" and he looked like he wanted to shit himself. Then an CDR walked out behind me. Look on his face priceless.

Most have been fairly squared away in my travels to CS in uniform. But some of the jackasssery I have observed when there in civvies has left me with a so-so take on them. Just the way some treat non-cadets like 2nd class citizens.. A tad too full of themselves for what is essentially ROTC on crack.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I have toured College Station and loved everything except the Corps of Cadets, it may be great for some, not not my kind of thing. Of course Im looking at A&M. I dont want to be like all those hippies up in Austin wearin orange and sippin tea. Tech is out of question... what self respecting university is in a dry county?

In all seriousness, there is a good chance I will be able to graduate from A&M will no debt and a degree, without a ROTC scholarship. That seems like a pretty good situation to be in starting off as a LT on my way to TBS.

I need to do more college research and explore If It would be better in College Station with all the pretty ladies, football, and good music. OR possibly go to more expensive school with a NROTC scholarship.

As I understand it, the Marines dont care if I get a degree in milking ducks as long as I have a degree. As long as I keep my PFT scores in the 270's I should be fine?

Like I said, you're on the right track. I enjoyed my experience in the Corps of Cadets, but it's not for everyone. It helped me a lot with discipline, academics, and PT. I would have failed out if it weren't for the Corps, but maybe that's just me. Looking back, I had a great time, but it was more akin to being part of a fraternity than actually being in the military. You might want to consider taking part in their "Spend the Night with the Corps Program" and seeing if it is what you think it is. You might like it.

I have freinds and fellow servicemembers from A&M (both CTs and non-regs), t.u. (like my kid sister), Tech (who, by the way, drink as much or more than anybody else), and a variety of smaller schools. Texas Public colleges are a great "bang for the buck" if you are seeking a commission in the Marines. You can't go wrong, really.

Yes, you can major in anything (I did Sociology since "duck milking" was unavailable at the time) and I wish I had majored in something a little more marketable. You might want to keep that in mind.

You also might consider enlisting in the reserves. It will give you an idea of what the Marines are like, help you gain some experience and maturity, and help out financially both while in college and later on (with an earlier PEBD). This is BY NO MEANS MANDATORY for getting a commission, but it does have several advantages. You could also wind up missing a semester or so being deployed to Iraq, so keep that in mind as well.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide.

ThetaChi

pilot
It doesn't matter where you go....as long as you have a good time. Just don't forget what you are working for in the process.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
I was in your very situation about 6 years ago. I chose UT and picked up the Marine option scholarship, and I wouldn't change a thing about it, I had a great time.

If you receive the Marine option NROTC scholarship, take it. You have mentioned the tuition up front and the summer cruises, but you're going to have the opportunity to develop your leadership skills by interacting with the unit's instructors and leading your peers, and I feel that sets you up a little better for OCS/TBS than someone out of PLC with no prior experience of a military environment. I'm not saying there aren't social retards that come of out NROTC, but learning to balance the responsibilities you have for NROTC with class and the fun stuff is a good primer for the "real world".

Don't forget the monthly stipend ($250/month as a freshman, +$50 every year to $400 as a senior) and $300/semester for books as part of the NROTC scholarship. It's not much, but it was all I needed to live off once rent was paid.

Also, some (most?) NROTC units have an alumni association which provides scholarships to deserving mids every semester. Over the course of 4 years, I received $3500 in scholarships and my Mameluke sword at commissioning from our alumni foundation...compares pretty good with the $4,000 bonus the OCC Lts are receiving this year.

That said, if you do not receive the 4-year NROTC scholarship, PLC would probably be a wiser choice. There is enough BS associated with NROTC that if you weren't getting paid, PLC would be a better route to the same goal, in my opinion.

Of course Im looking at A&M. I dont want to be like all those hippies up in Austin wearin orange and sippin tea...

I need to do more college research and explore If It would be better in College Station with all the pretty ladies, football, and good music.

College Station is known for pretty ladies, football, and good music? You do need to do more research.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
That said, if you do not receive the 4-year NROTC scholarship, PLC would probably be a wiser choice. There is enough BS associated with NROTC that if you weren't getting paid, PLC would be a better route to the same goal, in my opinion.

But dont discount the fact that you can pick up a 3 years schollarship after a year as a college programmer.