• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS December 2016 IWC Board

egiv

Well folks, that's a N for me. Word on the street there's a shift coming soon with those over 8 years AD OCS applicants for the IWC community. Issue with people hitting 04 and getting out (20 years) This is just rumor mill so take it with some salt, I was a 12 year AD guy decent package but my time in could of been the nail in the coffin. AW is a great source of information and appreciate the help of the members and recruiters. Good luck to all that made it.

In a presentation by the Cryptologic Warfare OCM I attended several months ago he specifically named this as something weighed when selecting new accessions. We are a very prior-heavy community, which - like you're getting at - causes problems at the O-4/5 levels when O-3Es hit 20 and bail. Obviously doesn't mean it's a deal-breaker, but having more than 8 years prior service is definitely a factor taken into consideration when selecting new accessions to meet quotas and plan the community's structure for the years to come.

FWIW, I know several other 1810s with 10+ years in that got selected on their 4th or 5th OCS application.

exNavyOffRec

In a presentation by the Cryptologic Warfare OCM I attended several months ago he specifically named this as something weighed when selecting new accessions. We are a very prior-heavy community, which - like you're getting at - causes problems at the O-4/5 levels when O-3Es hit 20 and bail. Obviously doesn't mean it's a deal-breaker, but having more than 8 years prior service is definitely a factor taken into consideration when selecting new accessions to meet quotas and plan the community's structure for the years to come.

FWIW, I know several other 1810s with 10+ years in that got selected on their 4th or 5th OCS application.

If O-3E's are leaving what is causing them to leave? people that enjoy their job tend to stay. Are people getting FOS'd going for O-4 and O-5? If they are then just don't FOS them and the problem should fix itself! Maybe you could get promoted early!

Several years ago one of our OR's who was an IWC LDO was able to get info from NRC on selections and number of applications, across all designators a person that was turned down once had a far less chance of getting picked up on subsequent boards for the same designator, the exception was SNA and SNFO when they retook the ASTB.

egiv

If O-3E's are leaving what is causing them to leave? people that enjoy their job tend to stay. Are people getting FOS'd going for O-4 and O-5? If they are then just don't FOS them and the problem should fix itself! Maybe you could get promoted early!

Several years ago one of our OR's who was an IWC LDO was able to get info from NRC on selections and number of applications, across all designators a person that was turned down once had a far less chance of getting picked up on subsequent boards for the same designator, the exception was SNA and SNFO when they retook the ASTB.

I don't think it's for lack of liking the job, just a lot of people that hit 20 and decide it's time for a more stable, family-friendly lifestyle. With the availability civilian intel agency billets, it's not too difficult to time it so your last tour sets you up for a well-paying civilian job in the same field.

I can't really speak to everything they take into consideration when making selections, just observations on current 1810s; I was pretty surprised to hear people were getting selected after so many tries, but hey, their persistence paid off and they eventually got what they wanted. Most of the non-priors I know only applied once, but I think that has more to do with non-prior applicants not yet being invested in the Navy, whereas some of the enlisted guys/girls know they want to stay Navy either way, so they keep banging on the door until they get picked up.

exNavyOffRec

I don't think it's for lack of liking the job, just a lot of people that hit 20 and decide it's time for a more stable, family-friendly lifestyle. With the availability civilian intel agency billets, it's not too difficult to time it so your last tour sets you up for a well-paying civilian job in the same field.

I can't really speak to everything they take into consideration when making selections, just observations on current 1810s; I was pretty surprised to hear people were getting selected after so many tries, but hey, their persistence paid off and they eventually got what they wanted. Most of the non-priors I know only applied once, but I think that has more to do with non-prior applicants not yet being invested in the Navy, whereas some of the enlisted guys/girls know they want to stay Navy either way, so they keep banging on the door until they get picked up.

I could see IWC picking AD after a few tries given what they looked for in the past, essentially if you weren't enlisted in the intel field you had a very low chance, now that they have been looking for a greater variety that could change. The guy with the great GPA and degree who gets a N probably has a good shot if he keeps trying, but the one with a 3.0 in english probably not so much. I have a feeling it is the later that skew the numbers for those that apply over and over.

Statistically the profile is still high GPA, tech degree gets you the best shot.

sejudah

I spent 5 years in the Marines as a linguist. I got out about 4 years ago to go to college. My major GPA is a 4.0 but my OAR wasn't that impressive. I am hoping I get selected based on my sigint background. If not then I don't have time to wait and try again. I had 2 kids while in college and they need to eat.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I spent 5 years in the Marines as a linguist. I got out about 4 years ago to go to college. My major GPA is a 4.0 but my OAR wasn't that impressive. I am hoping I get selected based on my sigint background. If not then I don't have time to wait and try again. I had 2 kids while in college and they need to eat.

The boards don't care about major GPA, they only care about cumulative.

exNavyOffRec

I had several people selected with min OAR, the degree and GPA are most important, and if you have a non tech degree that makes it even harder, most non tech are selected for Intel but it is tough, sometimes it is like they just flip a coin on some of the great applications.

If your GPA is 3.8 then at least you should have a chance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Happy Holidays everyone! Here's the board stats. As a whole (all IWC programs) selection rate was a 13.6%, which is around average for these programs.

OCEANO: 1 selected, no fleet applicants
Cryptologic Warfare Officer: 14 selected, 1 fleet
Information Professional Officer: 8 selected, 2 fleet
Intel: 15 selected, 1 fleet
Cyber Warfare: 1 selected, no fleet

SWO OCEANO/IP/IWC options: None selected

There were roughly 18 applicants, 3 fleet who were not selected but will be reviewed at the next board. It's HIGHLY ENCOURAGED applicants make improvements between now and the March board.

STEM majors continue to be key for selection. High GPAs, High OAR scores, and leadership experience are important. If you don't have a STEM degree, you better have some sort of graduate degree (Masters, JD, etc.) to counter STEM majors.

If you're under 29 (non-prior) or 31 (prior), I would highly recommend considering other options as a backup plan. If you have a Poli Sci degree with a 3.0 GPA, the stats are significantly against you getting selected. I have only seen one non-STEM major selected, prior CTT with a 3.98 cumulative GPA from a very prestigious school

exNavyOffRec

Happy Holidays everyone! Here's the board stats. As a whole (all IWC programs) selection rate was a 13.6%, which is around average for these programs.

SWO OCEANO/IP/IWC options: None selected

There were roughly 18 applicants, 3 fleet who were not selected but will be reviewed at the next board. It's HIGHLY ENCOURAGED applicants make improvements between now and the March board.

STEM majors continue to be key for selection. High GPAs, High OAR scores, and leadership experience are important. If you don't have a STEM degree, you better have some sort of graduate degree (Masters, JD, etc.) to counter STEM majors.

If you're under 29 (non-prior) or 31 (prior), I would highly recommend considering other options as a backup plan. If you have a Poli Sci degree with a 3.0 GPA, the stats are significantly against you getting selected. I have only seen one non-STEM major selected, prior CTT with a 3.98 cumulative GPA from a very prestigious school

The volume of applicants selected is pretty impressive, that IP number is 2-3 times what the average was for years, it will be interesting to see what the FY goals end up being.

sejudah

Oh my. I feel kind of nervous now. My degrees are in linguistics and Pashto with a Chinese minor... Not really STEM (but linguistics is a science). I am just hoping my previous experience in the field helped me.

exNavyOffRec

Oh my. I feel kind of nervous now. My degrees are in linguistics and Pashto with a Chinese minor... Not really STEM (but linguistics is a science). I am just hoping my previous experience in the field helped me.

STEM means it includes a year of calc and calc based physics

Gles

Will you be releasing any information about the range of OAR scores or GPAs that were selected? I'm mostly interested in intel/1830.