• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dec 1st OCS

Jeep_Shark

Well, it looks like im going to be heading out to the OCS class on December First. Is there anyone else on here who has recieved word that they will be attending this class as well? Also, a question. I plan on flying to RI since i will be coming from California and i dont know what kind of situation that is going to put me in as far as bringing the extra stuff that most guys keep in thier trunks. Could any experienced guys who flew instead of drove help me out with some ideas about what worked for them? If i have to bring nothing but the required i can get by but i was hoping that there was some way that someone knew of to bring the stuff with you without a car to park. Thank you for the help.

flyman

I would drive you will end up making money and you will want your car. Plus it is gonna be really hard to get your car to the east coast any other time. Im from California too so trust me it is good advice

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
When I went in as an enlisted crewman in 2001, I drove my car from Seattle, Wa. to Norfolk, Va. It really isn't that bad driving all the way across country. Don't get me wrong, its a loooong drive, but its definitely worth having your car.

-Ken

Jeep_Shark

thanks for respondign guys. Unfortuantly, between my wife and I we only have one car and im afriad she will need that at home. I probably wont be able to afford a new car until after OCS. Otherwise i would drive there in a hearbeat as i totally understand the benefits of having a car. My hope is that someone on here has experience flying in and can give me some tips. Thanks for the input though

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
You won't need a car in Newport, plenty of your new friends will have one. If you are flying into TF Green call these numbers before you depart, and make an appointment. The numbers are for the Cozy Cab and it will drop you off at the barracks on base at Newport. When I was there it cost $20, but just ask when you call. If you take a regular cab it's about $60.

401-846-2500
401-846-1500

Jeep_Shark

You won't need a car in Newport, plenty of your new friends will have one. If you are flying into TF Green call these numbers before you depart, and make an appointment. The numbers are for the Cozy Cab and it will drop you off at the barracks on base at Newport. When I was there it cost $20, but just ask when you call. If you take a regular cab it's about $60.

401-846-2500
401-846-1500

perfect, thanks

FSUPilot

Just received the Final Select letter for the December 1st class. Looks like we might be in one of the smaller classes.

Warden, I am leaving from Jacksonville if you're looking for a ride. I don't normally allow gators in the vehicle, but I guess if you wore a FSU shirt for the ride I could make an exception.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

401-846-2500
401-846-1500

They drop you off inside the base now?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Jeep Shark,

Just a thought if you were planning on getting a car right after OCS, you can afford one now. Unless I'm mistaken, once you have orders in your hand for OCS you're eligible for the USAA pre-commissioning loan of up to $25k at only 2% interest. Anybody verify that for me, I thought you could get it if you were within a year of commissioning or do you have to wait until you pin on the bars?

The Warden

Just received the Final Select letter for the December 1st class. Looks like we might be in one of the smaller classes.

Warden, I am leaving from Jacksonville if you're looking for a ride. I don't normally allow gators in the vehicle, but I guess if you wore a FSU shirt for the ride I could make an exception.

We might be able to work out a compromise. PM me and we can look into car-pooling from there. It would be nice to meet someone before the scream-fest started.

Jeep_Shark

Jeep Shark,

Just a thought if you were planning on getting a car right after OCS, you can afford one now. Unless I'm mistaken, once you have orders in your hand for OCS you're eligible for the USAA pre-commissioning loan of up to $25k at only 2% interest. Anybody verify that for me, I thought you could get it if you were within a year of commissioning or do you have to wait until you pin on the bars?

ok, thanks, ill see about looking into that loan. i think it is too late though because i already informed my NRD that i am going ot need to fly and i think the arrangements have been made.

Jeep_Shark

also, does anybody know what my situation is going to be with bringing items that are outside the "what to bring" list? (ex. cell phone) will there be a place to store that kind of stuff or should i just bring the essentials. I realize that driving guys can bring more and leave it in their cars but what about the rest of us?

P.S. congratulations to every one else who made it, i look forward to seeing you guys there.

FSUPilot

Jeep Shark,

If you need some storage space I'll have my vehicle up there. Should have plenty of room.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
for those of you who got in the dec 1st OCS class, when did you guys submit everything for final select? I'm SNA pro rec and I did my MEPS and PFT and had everything sent back in September 18th and still havent gotten word. And one more question, when you get your OCS date, can you ask for an extention if needed? thanks guys.