• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DEC '15 IDC Board

zack13usa

I applied for SWO-IP, Intel, and SWO (In that order). I am hoping I get picked up for any one of the positions. Cheers!
Quick question guys; what's the main difference between IP and SWO-IP? in terms of selection first and duties, work environment...etc.

Daniel Noble

Hello all,

I am applying for IW and Intel.
I am prior service with just shy of 9 years in the submarine fleet. I was a First Class Radioman, Communications Supervisor, LPO, and EKMS Manager/Alternate Manager. No NJPs.
* Current TS/SCI.
* Prior Evals are a mixture of MP/EP.
* No PRT failures, averaged in the Excellent range.
* B.S. Electronic Engineering Technology, overall GPA 3.33
* OAR 52
* Submarine Warfare Qualified, 5 Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medals, 2 Good Conducts (Missed my 3rd by a month due to separation), numerous Admiral's Letters for various achievements.
* Served on the USS Rhode Island (Trident Class) and USS Alexandria (Los Angeles Class).
* LORs: Last CO (O-6), current supervisor, recently retired CTTC, last LCPO (E-8)
* I have attended numerous tech and operational related schools for C4ISR subsystems and EKMS systems.

I have been separated for 2 years, and have been working in the Oil and Gas industry.

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,

I am applying for IW and Intel.
I am prior service with just shy of 9 years in the submarine fleet. I was a First Class Radioman, Communications Supervisor, LPO, and EKMS Manager/Alternate Manager. No NJPs.
* Current TS/SCI.
* Prior Evals are a mixture of MP/EP.
* No PRT failures, averaged in the Excellent range.
* B.S. Electronic Engineering Technology, overall GPA 3.33
* OAR 52
* Submarine Warfare Qualified, 5 Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medals, 2 Good Conducts (Missed my 3rd by a month due to separation), numerous Admiral's Letters for various achievements.
* Served on the USS Rhode Island (Trident Class) and USS Alexandria (Los Angeles Class).
* LORs: Last CO (O-6), current supervisor, recently retired CTTC, last LCPO (E-8)
* I have attended numerous tech and operational related schools for C4ISR subsystems and EKMS systems.

I have been separated for 2 years, and have been working in the Oil and Gas industry.

RM? I thought those all were changed to IT years ago?

Daniel Noble

RM? I thought those all were changed to IT years ago?

My official rate was Submarine Communications Electronic Technician. The rate and insignia of the Radioman was merged to make the new rate Submarine Electronic Technician rate, but Communications division are still openly referred to as Radiomen. The Radioman sparks in brass on the deck inside the Radio Room is still maintained, polished during clean up ship.
The Submarine ITs are the LAN administrators on board.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Checking in! I'm applying for Oceano and SWO-Oceano.

Male, 23.
Atmospheric Science major
GPA 3.73
OAR 70.

Looks like you got good advice for what to apply for. OCEANO is a GREAT program that few apply for with a great career path. You have a great OAR score, super GPA and the right kind of degree. Best of luck! I'm including the OCEANO data sheet in case you haven't seen it. Great info.

Attachments

• 1800 Community Info Sheet_Feb15.pdf
    237.9 KB · Views: 33

flynndyl

Looks like you got good advice for what to apply for. OCEANO is a GREAT program that few apply for with a great career path. You have a great OAR score, super GPA and the right kind of degree. Best of luck! I'm including the OCEANO data sheet in case you haven't seen it. Great info.
I appreciate the encouragement and the info. I understand OCEANO billets are limited, I'm just hoping for an opening or two.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the encouragement and the info. I understand OCEANO billets are limited, I'm just hoping for an opening or two.

Recruiters used to get a status type sheet that would show for each designator how many spots there were, how many had been commissioned already, how many had been pro Y and how many had been issued FS letters, that way we would know what direction to guide applicants.

Do you mind if I ask why were you ProRec-N? and what did you do to fix your package?

As others have stated, no word on why we get a Pro Rec N. I just attempt to show progression rather than submitting the same package each time. Example, this package I managed to finish my Enlisted PPME and Officer PPME up to Block 5. I did not have it on my previous package. Additionally, trying to get new interview appraisals and LORs for the March Board.

zack13usa

I've noticed in several posts before, selectees would describe the reason why they were selected by noting that their "motivational statement" for instance was strong, or their overall GPA was high enough for them to be chosen...etc. That gave me the impression that the board make some remarks on everyone's package| application stating the "main" reason" for their decision...again I was just speculating

zack13usa

exNavyOffRec

I've noticed in several posts before, selectees would describe the reason why they were selected by noting that their "motivational statement" for instance was strong, or their overall GPA was high enough for them to be chosen...etc. That gave me the impression that the board make some remarks on everyone's package| application stating the "main" reason" for their decision...again I was just speculating

I can see how that would lead you down that thought process. The board gets/takes very little time with each application, don't count on your application getting more than a quick scan, and the thing that will catch their eye the quickest is high GPA and preferred degree.

I can see how that would lead you down that thought process. The board gets/takes very little time with each application, don't count on your application getting more than a quick scan, and the thing that will catch their eye the quickest is high GPA and preferred degree.

@NavyOffRec... Small question, just asking with your experience. I currently have an OAR of 52. When taking it, I was informed that it was slightly above that of others who have taken the test at my particular office. However, with the threads and forums, I see 60-70 OAR scores. Does this typically hold allot of weight? I am considering re-taking it, however, I also know that if I score worse, I keep the recent score regardless of what the score is. As per the above comment, time is limited when reviewing the packages, so if anything I would imagine it could grab someones attention if it were higher, and you had a good GPA?

exNavyOffRec

@NavyOffRec... Small question, just asking with your experience. I currently have an OAR of 52. When taking it, I was informed that it was slightly above that of others who have taken the test at my particular office. However, with the threads and forums, I see 60-70 OAR scores. Does this typically hold allot of weight? I am considering re-taking it, however, I also know that if I score worse, I keep the recent score regardless of what the score is. As per the above comment, time is limited when reviewing the packages, so if anything I would imagine it could grab someones attention if it were higher, and you had a good GPA?

it doesn't hold much weight, as I have said on other threads I have had guys with low OAR get picked up but they had tech degrees and high GPA's, I have also seen/had guys with high OAR's not picked up and they had average GPA's and non tech degrees.

it doesn't hold much weight, as I have said on other threads I have had guys with low OAR get picked up but they had tech degrees and high GPA's, I have also seen/had guys with high OAR's not picked up and they had average GPA's and non tech degrees.

Thank you, I will continue to submit and improve (holding off on my OAR for now). Limited resources while deployed, so I sincerely do appreciate the information.