• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DD-368 Conditional Release for BDCP Denied

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
Hello, I am currently an ISSN in the navy reserves(Intelligence). I have worked through a Navy Officer recruiter to ready my BDCP Pilot package and I have everything on the list completed except my DD-368 Conditional Release from my reserve unit. Because the Navy Intel community is in such a need for personnel, my unit is disapproving my release to submit for the BDCP commissioning program. I have talked to many Chiefs and Officers in my unit and I am trying to find a way to get into this program. I only have 4 years left of eligibility to be commissioned or I'm too old, and I have 4 1/2 years left on my reserve contract. Would I be looked at in a harsh way by the selection board if I decided to go IRR(Inactive Ready Reserve) so I could separate from the reserves to submit my package, or would I be able to explain the reasoning behind me taking this drastic action to ensure I have a successful navy career. Any info on experience or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
ps- I also have my CO's letter of recommendation for the BDCP program. He wrote me this letter before his chain of command informed him of the Navy Intel manning situation. I don't know if this helps my case.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You need to talk to your recruiter again. I am almost 100% sure that a commissioning program trumps any enlisted status or commitment. If you are accepted into BCDP, I do not believe a release from your reserve assignment can be denied. Your command can say they do not want to release you, but I believe they HAVE to release you.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
HAL Pilot, thanks for the information. I believe you are right in some aspects. The only problem is that before the recruiter can submit for the board, the conditional release needs to be signed. Because I am in Navy Intel, it has to go through RIAC(Reserve Intel Area Commander) and CNRIC(Commander Naval Reserve Intel Command). They all have to endorse the form. My commander seems to thing that even though the unit doesn't recommend the release, if BIG NAVY feels they need more pilots(or people in this program) than they need Reserve Intel, then they will override it and approve it anyway. Highly unlikely outcome it seems to me.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I bet your problem with BDCP is that you are enlisted prior to OCS and commissioning. Best of luck with BDCP because it is the best deal in the Navy.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Have you tried a STA-21 package? Still have plenty of time to get one of those together for this year.