• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCS Legacy Hornet sim....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
To be fair, the COD probably boltered first.

shots-fired.jpg

RoarkJr.

DCS World looks pretty fun and realistic. Here's a video of a couple (I believe former) Hornet pilots flying together in VR. Does anyone here use or have experience with it?

It looks like it could be fun to try out different aircraft in the VR world (cobra, H-1, harrier, etc.). I have the Cessna/T6B in X Plane 11 and don't foresee having the time to mess around too much with DCS, as I'm in NIFE, but it would be interesting to get some opinions on it. Thank you.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Use as in professionally or as in play flight sims for fun in their spare time?

Every couple of years it seems like there's some SNA who aces the program and happened to have a nice home flight sim setup that people attribute the success too. Then USN goes and buys a bunch of sims and tries to replicate the success of a grander scale and it doesn't work. When I went through VTs there were a bunch of disused MS flight sims gathering dust in the sim building. Someone would occasionally play with one but I never personally knew anyone who had huge success with it. Most people found the static cockpit trainer from the 70s to be more useful. That and the simple little JAVA RI app.

RoarkJr.

Use as in professionally or as in play flight sims for fun in their spare time?

Mostly professional. If it has zero or negative professional value then I'd be less interested. I don't have the necessary experience to make that determination yet so I'm asking here.

I'll remediate my search function skills.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Every couple of years it seems like there's some SNA who aces the program and happened to have a nice home flight sim setup that people attribute the success too. Then USN goes and buys a bunch of sims and tries to replicate the success of a grander scale and it doesn't work.
That's because they are missing the hidden variable, which is: unprompted home flight sim use by SNAs is just a marker for someone who is hyper motivated to succeed and become a naval aviator. Hyper motivated bc they are at home with the curtains closed playing flight sim games instead of out at bars meeting eligible singles or playing shirtless beach volleyball or whatever else SNAs typically enjoy in their off time. The home flight sim stuff is just a residual artifact of that hyper motivation factor, and the hyper motivation factor is the true underlying driver of success. Just like how Jocko says certain people succeed at BUD/S - they succeed because they want it so badly they will go to any lengths to succeed, get better, and not quit.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The problem is players of the game who have no actual experience or involvement in real world aviation, that are so good at the game, that they think that translates to anything meaningful. By meaningful I mean the fact that they think their ball flying, or BFM, would be competitive with that of a proficient real fighter pilot. And unfortunately, MANY of those types of players exist and actually believe that. Of note, from my understanding, real fighter pilots that try to play DCS suck it at it relative to the gamer; mainly due to muscle memory applied to approximate simulation, lack of feel, and not giving a shit nearly as much. This may contribute to the gamers' false sense of superiority.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The problem is players of the game who have no actual experience or involvement in real world aviation, that are so good at the game, that they think that translates to anything meaningful. By meaningful I mean the fact that they think their ball flying, or BFM, would be competitive with that of a proficient real fighter pilot.
These kinds of people are easy to spot online. They're the ones posting "hurr durr why don't they pick me to be military pilot."

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's because they are missing the hidden variable, which is: unprompted home flight sim use by SNAs is just a marker for someone who is hyper motivated to succeed and become a naval aviator. Hyper motivated bc they are at home with the curtains closed playing flight sim games instead of out at bars meeting eligible singles or playing shirtless beach volleyball or whatever else SNAs typically enjoy in their off time. The home flight sim stuff is just a residual artifact of that hyper motivation factor, and the hyper motivation factor is the true underlying driver of success. Just like how Jocko says certain people succeed at BUD/S - they succeed because they want it so badly they will go to any lengths to succeed, get better, and not quit.
There's more to practice then just putting the time in. Without applying the sim to the syllabus you're just hoping you're doing the right thing. Some cases had guys who did this in primary and did well but I'd be curious if they did any better than a guy in the syllabus who was putting in the same amount of time using a different type of chair flying. In that case, they're just a guy who's trying really hard in front of a sim. Which is that any different then a guy who practices EPs in traffic or while bouncing a ball? I've also never heard much more about these guys continuing to use home flight sims in advanced, the RAG, or the fleet. If people could have proven that it makes a difference they'd be using it.