• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
Only having a bachelors degree is essentially a show stopper for any DCO IWC program.
I've have met several people in the IW community that did not have a masters degree and were picked up with only a bachelors degree. Most of them were prior enlisted. Several did end up applying to graduate school after they were picked up for DIRCOM.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've have met several people in the IW community that did not have a masters degree and were picked up with only a bachelors degree. Most of them were prior enlisted. Several did end up applying to graduate school after they were picked up for DIRCOM.

When did they join? Different times when they joined 5+ years ago and now.

We have quarterly DCO IWC calls and coming from board members the graduate education is essentially the ticket to getting an application seriously considered.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Only having a bachelors degree is essentially a show stopper for any DCO IWC program.

The same can be said for Supply DCO. Everyone I've met has at least a Master's, some have multiple graduate degrees or a PhD.

exNavyOffRec

Well not to get ahead of myself, but does anyone here recommend applying for selection to multiple boards? This is my first time applying, and had I known it was so selective, I would have possible applied to others over the course of the past year. I want to serve so badly and ultimately the job I do is secondary to actually getting into the Navy as an officer in the first place. Any thoughts there?

DCO looks for people with experience in the field, so more often than not a person who is competitive in one field will not be in another.

PG84

Your OR can work with you if you want to put in packages for other communities. If the job you are currently doing is secondary to getting into the Navy, why don't you apply to OCS and serve full-time? I feel like dircom is way more competitive than OCS because you are placed in a pool of highly qualified candidates with years of professional and educational experience - many with doctoral degrees. If I had the option to do it over, I may have gone the OCS route. That said, I'm glad I kept trying for DCO and good luck to you as well.

I'd love to go full-time, but it's not in the cards. Wife and young son at home, and switching jobs would be a big pay cut. So as much as I'd love to, it wouldn't be the best thing for my family right now. That's why I started looking into this a year ago in the first place.

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
When did they join? Different times when they joined 5+ years ago and now.

We have quarterly DCO IWC calls and coming from board members the graduate education is essentially the ticket to getting an application seriously considered.
Some of them were in the last 3 or 4 years. I mean, I'm not saying all you need is a bachelors degree to get into the IWC. Everyone I've seen get picked up had other stellar qualifications that made their overall package stand out. If you are putting in a package with no graduate education, you better have other compelling things that make you look shit hot compared to the other applicants. But a masters degree is not a requirement for entry.

exNavyOffRec

Some of them were in the last 3 or 4 years. I mean, I'm not saying all you need is a bachelors degree to get into the IWC. Everyone I've seen get picked up had other stellar qualifications that made their overall package stand out. If you are putting in a package with no graduate education, you better have other compelling things that make you look shit hot compared to the other applicants. But a masters degree is not a requirement for entry.

There are many things that are not required, but often the boards will essentially make it required, for instance it has happened where for IWC community boards will make an across the board cut for GPA, doesn't matter what your other qualifications are, if you are below the line you are just a pro N, yes people get picked up with a graduate degree, but those that apply without one are already at a disadvantage.

PG84

Does anyone know if the board takes age into consideration? I ask because I am a first time applicant and if I don't make it this year, I will be 34 next year. In short, I'm not getting younger and I am wondering if that will be held against me. Physically, I could probably outperform a lot of people 10 years younger than me, but I'm just asking if they look at your D.O.B. as a deterrent.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Does anyone know if the board takes age into consideration? I ask because I am a first time applicant and if I don't make it this year, I will be 34 next year. In short, I'm not getting younger and I am wondering if that will be held against me. I could probably outperform a lot of people 10 years younger than me, but I'm just asking if they look at your D.O.B. as a deterrent.

I believe you can apply up to age 42 without a waiver. I had a DCO in my class that was 40, so I'd say don't worry about being 34 and not being selected your first time around.

Thatnavyguy87

Does anyone know if the board takes age into consideration? I ask because I am a first time applicant and if I don't make it this year, I will be 34 next year. In short, I'm not getting younger and I am wondering if that will be held against me. Physically, I could probably outperform a lot of people 10 years younger than me, but I'm just asking if they look at your D.O.B. as a deterrent.
From my understanding, the biggest thing that they look at is whether you can do 20 and retire. 34 should be no issue. Active duty is a different story though.

Thatnavyguy87

Looks like no dice this week guys and gals. Have a great weekend, and push off the idea of results coming out, so you can actually enjoy the weekend (something I have been struggling with lol).

FitGar

Darker than the depths of the oceans.
This is my first try. Still anxiously waiting for a call from my recruiter...but looking at past boards, I take it we're more likely to get a response by the end of the month or beginning of August no?

Thatnavyguy87

This is my first try. Still anxiously waiting for a call from my recruiter...but looking at past boards, I take it we're more likely to get a response by the end of the month or beginning of August no?
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how long vs previous boards. It's all down to the board. I'm taking it as there are a lot of really good candidates and they are arguing with each other about who is getting selected. I imagine it will be next week or first week of August, as the board met right before 4th of July.