• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Days from raising right hand, serious doubts or just cold feet?

Cold feet, or serious doubts?

• Cold feet, everyone gets it. Just do it, you'll love it and be glad you did.

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No, these sound more like serious doubts. You should seriously be reconsidering doing this.

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Wanabe, you are the only one on this board that knows whether or not NFO will work for you. As much as I wanted to be an Officer in the Navy, I knew that pilot was the only option for me, therefore that was the only option I put down on my package. I didn't want to be forced with making the decision you are faced with now. How old are you? If you are approaching the age limit, more than likely getting the PRK and then reapplying isn't an option for you. If you are not approaching the age limit, I would definitely look into the PRK and reapplying option. That is what would have done if I had found myself in your situation (depending on age). Its a tough call, but I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Read what people have to say on this board, and then make the decision that is right for YOU. Good luck on this.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If I couldn't have been a pilot ... I would have been an NFO ... If it was me, I'd raise my right hand in an instant.
Ditto ... ditto ... AND ditto.

I don't normally participate in threads like this, as any 'contribution' I can make is dated, biased, and in concrete .... BUT (and mebbe this 'BUT' is a GOOD thing) ... my 'contributions' are based on hard-core experience. Soooooooo ... having said all that:

I came in during a 'real' Mutha-lovin' NAVY war ... that's what I wanted ever since I was 7 years old; it was 'my' time.

I'd have even been a Black-Shoe if that's how the cards were dealt.
The Riverine Force (very easy to get orders to it :)) took a back seat to no one in terms of service, guts, and commitment underlined in blood.

As a matter of fact, I LIKED life aboard ship. I LIKED the bridge ... I LIKED teak decks ... I LIKED the heave & roll of a stout ship ... I LIKED 'big guns' ... I LIKED Brasso'd brass ... I LIKED marlinspike 'seamanship' ... I did NOT LIKE red lettuce and green tomatoes ... so, you can call me crazy, but I LIKED/STILL LIKE the sea ...

To the OP: why do you 'want to come in'??? JUST TO FLY ??? Or are there other, more compelling reasons?? While you might be getting 'cold feet' right now just 'cause it's a major sideways move considering what you 'wanted' (hell, I 'wanted' a LOT of things; still do)... but at the end of the day (I hate that phrase), you gotta' do what's BEST FOR YOU ... and ask yourself this: if I raise my right hand and take an oath to serve & defend ... will I be an asset to the U.S. military forces and to my Country ??? When I'm an 'old man' ... will I be PROUD of what I did to 'serve & defend' sooooooooooooo many years ago ???

If the answer is YES: your path is clear.
If the answer is MAYBE: you need to do more 'lookin' until you can say 'YES' or 'NO'.
If the answer is NO: then go to work for a brokerage firm or a bank. If there's any left worth goin' to work for ... :)

beaverslayer

pilot
From the other side of the spectrum: I have not sworn in yet, and won't be able to for another month or so when I graduate. Dude I understand what you're feeling--that twisted feeling in your gut that says you just might be making a mistake. Mine hasn't gotten bad yet, but it will. I full expect to get cold feet, and I absolutely intend to take that oath no matter what. There is nothing that is going to stand between me serving my country as an officer in the world's finest Navy. Obviously I can't guarantee that you will love every step of the way, but if you take the opportunities you have been given, kick ass in training, and make the best of every situation offered, I am sure that you will not look back on it with any regret whatsoever.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... One thing is that every active pilot I talked to said that they wouldn't have settled for NFO. And one NFO I talked to specifically said that if I took the NFO slot, I'd be settling...

Well it seems that since you wrote this you have talked to a few more active pilots and NFOs who have offered advice to the contrary. (You can count me too.)

But I still cringe a little bit inside when I think about the fact I'll never be a Pilot.

Hey, over time I cringe about a lot of stuff. Then I get over it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with cold feet and a little self-doubt before you commit in a few days. Everybody who's replied just about covered all there is to cover. All of the replies are worth re-reading since this is your life we're talking about. Think about it some more.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
If you don't do this now, and you don't get selected for SNA next time, and you run out of time altogether; you will spend the rest of your life wondering what it could have been like. I don't know about you, but that would drive me nuts. I rather sign up and regret it, than not sign up and regret it. At least, in that case you know that you tried. Plus, think about this; even if you are not a pilot in the military, when you get to be 60 you can look back on your life and say that you have done something interesting and tell your kids and grandkids about it. Unless, you rather tell them the story about how you navigated your paper plane out of the office that one Friday when your boss was out.
So, DO IT!
Also, from my limited but eventful experience in the NAVY, I am telling you that the friendships you make and the people you are going to meet are worth that SNA spot. Plus, there is simply no other feeling that can compare to walking out on the fantail at 0100 and looking at the water glow at 30+ knots, or walking out on the STBD boat davit at 0600 and observing the sunrise while you are crossing the Atlantic--it looks like a painting, only much more impressionable.
Good Luck with your thoughts, and I hope to see you in the fleet!!!
P.S. My OR told my something the other day that kind of stuck with me: "remember, it is a privilege to be at OCS not a right." I think he is spot on!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, rehashing the cold feet thing, totally normal, even if you are sure about what you're doing. Even after doing NROTC for 4 years and knowing for a long time what I was getting into, I still felt like barfing a bit on commissioning day since I knew from then I really wouldn't have much control over the next 8 years of my life. It's nerve-wracking. People say a lot on this forum (an adage I have adopted) that you may love the Navy, but the Navy does not love you back. While joining the military is all about serving your country and it is an honor and privilege, at the end of the day, you need to take the career path that makes you happy. This goes for just starting OCS and at every step in your military career.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
What you get out of this job is the experiences you go through, and the people you share them with. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you're the one throwing the sticks around or not.

Ajleger

Definitely normal to have doubts.. I know I did when I signed on for BDCP, even though I've had a lifelong dream of being an astronaut. Granted, I got what I wanted, and the only option I applied for (pilot), but after having been through OCS, I would have happily signed on to be an NFO and while I'm not asking to redes lol, I wouldn't have complained too hard if I were NPQ'D and had to. Hell, going to OCS caused a divorce for me, and I still wouldn't change a thing. You only get one chance to make a difference in this world... take it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... I did NOT LIKE red lettuce and green tomatoes ... so, you can call me crazy, but I LIKED/STILL LIKE the sea ...

How 'bout them Brussel Sprouts??? I'm convinced Navy bought the entire market

ONU_Pbear

I originally applied for Pilot and NFO, and was incredibly fortunate to be selected for both.

eyesight had slipped to 20/50

So I accepted Naval Flight Officer, and started preparing for that course.

I know this is a great opportunity, and I'm incredibly fortunate to be in this position.

These points from your post sound very familiar to me. I was selected for both Pilot and NFO (in that order also) in October. Pilot has been a dream of mine since before my older brother (5 yrs older) can remember. I also agree that we were both extremely fortunate for the opportunity.

Then the wonderful experience that is MEPS said my eyes were 20/70. However, I know my eyes are not that bad. I know this because I had an eye exam about 6 months before MEPS and one a month after that have both resulted in 20/30 left and 20/25 right.

Could I have stopped the process and reapplied with a return to MEPS and passing eyes? Yes I could have. But I wanted to take my shot now and there were to many unknown variables to reapplying. Even then it all depended if my eyes would pass MEPS on a return trip.

A few things that made me go ahead and swear in, I wanted to be an officer in the Navy. If I only would have accepted Pilot, I wouldn't have put my other 2 options on my application. I was still a little dissappointed that I was DQ'd from pilot when I know that the MEPS test wasn't accurate, but there will be plenty of other experiences that the Navy will provide me with other than just flying. I know that my civilian career will never be able to give me those kinds of experiences. I will also have a awesome job as an NFO and I couldn't be more excited that I have this opportunity to be a part of the best Navy in the world.

Like others have posted, it is Officer first and Pilot/NFO second. If you decide to go ahead with NFO, you will still be in the air and have a small chance to redes later. Each selection board is a mistery and no one knows why they got selected, so there is no way to know that you will get picked up again.

I was in a similiar situation and I didn't hesitate to swear in and take my opportunity. Things happen for a reason and I'm sure I will not regret my decision anytime in the future. You said your class is coming soon, so what is your class date? I will be in the 9 May OCS class. Let us know what you decide.

FastMover

NFO
None
Do it. You will have a blast flying in the T-6 in Pcola, and then whatever a/c you end up in after that. You will be doing something that the vast majority of your civvy buds can't (or won't). Naval Aviation is one of the most demanding and rewarding professions on the planet and you've got a shot at it. Don't waste it.