• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Day in the life of USMC Helo Drivers?

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
I'm very familiar with the way the Army Warrant Helo drivers day goes, as well as deployments and overseas tours. I just wanna get an idea of what a typical day in each different airframe. Helo's run in my family so I liked to keep the tradition going in some form, but not in the Army.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
Quite funny..... but not exactly the response I was looking for. But what's work without having a little fun throughout the day.

gotta_fly

pilot
Quite funny..... but not exactly the response I was looking for. But what's work without having a little fun throughout the day.

Having never been there or done that I can't answer your question, but I'm not sure anyone else can either. The types of missions, schedules, responsibilities, and other variables mean that you probably can't get a 'quick picture' of the day in the life of every airframe. This site has brazillions of posts where people have been inadvertently answering your question for years. I suggest you take some time and browse or search the existing content then try again with some more specific questions. Whenever I can't sleep that's what I do, and it's filled my head with lots of knowledges that make me a nerd to my SNA brethren.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
I have found some good things from searching. I know a retired Marine XP, he's given me a lot of knowledge from the jet side of the house and Herc guys too. Have found some good information on Cobra's and Huey's, as well as the MV-22. Thanks.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I'm very familiar with the way the Army Warrant Helo drivers day goes, as well as deployments and overseas tours. I just wanna get an idea of what a typical day in each different airframe. Helo's run in my family so I liked to keep the tradition going in some form, but not in the Army.

I'm not from the helo community but have been in Marine aviation since starting July 2000. But I can speak to the "typical" day in any Marine aviation squadron.

A "typical" day in a fleet squadron involves being at work from 0730 until 1630, MINIMUM. This will change depending on your ground job and how much studying you need to do (tactics, NATOPS, quals, etc). You may or may not fly on any given day, it depends on a number of things (time in squadron, upcoming dets/deployments, if you're working up for a qual, etc etc). Sometimes you fly days, sometimes you fly nights and sometimes you fly both..... again depends on what the squadron is doing and what quals you need.

Ground job..... everybody has one. You may be the Coffee Mess O, the Powerline O, the CMCC (you basically own all the classified material), the NATOPS O, the Legal O or a number of other such "administrative" type jobs. These are the "paper pushing" type jobs. You may, and probably will, have more than one. At times, depending on your ground job(s), it will seem like the ground job is your first priority and flying is just something else you do on the side. It kind of sucks, especially if you're the new guy trying to work up for your quals but that's the way it is.

Just because you're at work 9+ hours a day doesn't mean that you'll be busy as hell the whole time. There will plenty of times when you're just sitting around not doing much of anything. This is a good time to get caught up on studying, go work out or just spend some time getting to know the Marines you serve with.

When you're deployed, things may actually get a little easier in some ways. A few of the ground jobs become easier and some aren't really needed at all. Writing the daily flight schedule is WAY easier because your squadron will be tasked to fly certain missions and all Ops has to do is plug in crews to fly them. There basically seems to be less BS when you're deployed and actually doing your job for real.

Sorry no helo specifics but hope this helps a bit.

FlyinRock

HeyJoe
I went to see that site about an hour ago and got so caught up in it I forgot I was supposed to drain the swamp. YouTube never ceases to amaze me. The parody of a Marine Corps Day had me laughing all the way through.
I think it went downhill from there and made me homesick ..... I miss being in the field goddammit.
Semper fi
Rocky

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A day in the life of a jet pilot (as told by Helo pilots)

HeyJoe
I went to see that site about an hour ago and got so caught up in it I forgot I was supposed to drain the swamp. YouTube never ceases to amaze me. The parody of a Marine Corps Day had me laughing all the way through.
I think it went downhill from there and made me homesick ..... I miss being in the field goddammit.
Semper fi
Rocky

If you liked that one, you'll love this one (an AW not so oldie, but goodie)

phrogpilot73

Sorry no helo specifics but hope this helps a bit.
Pretty much the same thing, only we don't have a Coffee Mess O (the S-5 Officer does it), and we don't have a Powerlines O (Flightline is what we call it). Other than that, our days are about the same.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Concur with above. Different communities have different numbers of pilots per squadron, which affects how many collateral duties each has. For example, a typical phrog squadron should have 25-30 pilots. My skid brethren probably have about 40. Jets are probably pretty high too, counting FO's. Also take into account the likelihood of detachments from the unit, which force others to fill in the gaps created by detached officers.