• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Davis-Monthan 60's

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Wow, some seriously rare birds there. There's an AF-1 Fury there that had the following info.

When NAF Litchfield (now Goodyear Airport) closed, many of these airframe were transferred to MASDC. Here 139531/4B-109 North American AF-1E Fury (209-151) Navy/Marine of VT-86sq is on display by the perimeter fence in an early version of "Celebrity Row".

Have to assume attributing it to VT-86 was some sort of typo unless VT-86 once had a different role.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Words....

Have to assume attributing it to VT-86 was some sort of typo unless VT-86 once had a different role.

Yeah, the guy's wrong. Litchfield closed in 1968 and the a/c there were trucked down the turnpike to Tucson that year. At that time, the 4B tailcode was assigned to NATTC Glynco (Naval Air Technical Training Center). VT-86 didn't come along until June 1972. Before that date, all training at Glynco was under the NATTC umbrella -- all the advanced NFO training (except for patrol folks who went to VT-29 at Corpus), GCA controllers, AIC controllers and various other folks. VT-86 stood up on 5 June 1972, exactly one week before I got my wings there. I was really mad because Glynco was a TAD assignment for NFO training, and I had traveled light and left my whites in storage at Pensacola. Big mistake. Had to quickly purchase a whole new Tropical White Long (what they were called then) outfit -- shoes, bridge cover, shoulder boards, shirt and trousers -- just to stand in formation as VT-86 stood up as a separate squadron.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Great post...the AD-6 (LOL!) closeup 1/4 down the link was owned by VT-30 (Corpus) on 07/27/62..logged a 2.8 in her as a NavCad in Advanced.
icon7.gif

brownshoe

Contributor
Great post...the AD-6 (LOL!) closeup 1/4 down the link was owned by VT-30 (Corpus) on 07/27/62..logged a 2.8 in her as a NavCad in Advanced.
icon7.gif

You old fart!:)

(BTW... Hugh called me right after you did this weekend. He's doin' fine, feisty as ever.)

Steve

Pags

N/A
pilot
I like the bright orange HT-8 H-34. Nothing says "practice your autos a lot" like a piston engined helo.