• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

damn monkey bars

Fetter

I just came to the realization today that I absolutely suck at the monkey bars. I couldn't really ever do them well, now that I recall. I have no problem with pullups, but I could get shown up by a kindergartener on those things. Has anyone else had issues with this part of the obstacle course? I think I'm going to have to hit the playset hard before I go full retard at OCS.

What a sad, sad day.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
LOL! Monkey bars are simple. Can you be more specific about your issue with them? I always thought they were easy. One arm over the other just like a monkey. Maybe adding some monkey noises will help you get into the mood for them? :D

Practice is really the only suggestion I can offer. This is pretty humorous.

My experience is the playground. Not OCS.

Fetter

I think it is just a momentum problem, I never really cared to learn back in the day. I was always climbing on top of them, rather than using them properly. I'm trying to muscle my way through, rather than swing as much as I should. I'm not sure how technical I can make this sound...lol

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think it is just a momentum problem, I never really cared to learn back in the day. I was always climbing on top of them, rather than using them properly. I'm trying to muscle my way through, rather than swing as much as I should. I'm not sure how technical I can make this sound...lol

Jeez dude..one of the easiest and most primitive activities of our (my?) childhood.

You sure you weren't in the Magic: The Gathering / Pogs collecting crowd? :D

You're years removed, so it's cool if you want to come clean. Nobody is going to throw you into a trash can anymore. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Don't muscle. Finesse it. Once you get that momentum going it's really easy.

MettGT

pilot
Alright, I'll spare you some ribbing....but come on, the monkey bars?!? Honestly, the only time you do monkey bars at OCS is on the confidence course. Like the others have said, the key is momentum. Try bicycle-kicking your legs while you go through.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like the others have said, the key is momentum. Try bicycle-kicking your legs while you go through.

I would add working on your timing to that. When I got to Quantico I found wearing boots to be a new factor due to weight, but I found using the momentum of my feet and timing the swing of my arms worked every time. You can't rush it and I would not recommend bicycle-kicking as that lessens advantage of momentum. Watch how a Monkey does it on Animal Planet, they don't Bicyle Kick.

I loved Monkey Bars as a kid and built a set for my very athletic daughter who loved to go to local playgrounds and use them. So I continued to use them. Seems liek I can't rip off as many pullups as I used to, but I can still own them Monkey Bars...it's way more technique than strength.

Lobster

F*#K monkey bars...all the cool kids were on the swings anyway trying to launch themselves into orbit :D.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
F*#K monkey bars...all the cool kids were on the swings anyway trying to launch themselves into orbit :D.

watch

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Monkey bars...

During the confidence course while waiting for an obstacle I noticed our platoon staff goofing around on them... one of our SIs and our platoon commander were skipping bars, 2 hands on the individual bar at the same time.

PT was fun having an SI that as a PTI at Drill Insturctor School, and a platoon commander that could probably do the CRT run in 18 minutes

Fetter

Good advice, all. I have not heard of towel pull-ups and that sounds like it should help me quite a bit.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Good advice, all. I have not heard of towel pull-ups and that sounds like it should help me quite a bit.

Yeah they're a pain in the ass but a pretty sweet workout. Lots of variations: two hand-towels, one big towel -> two hands and then when you pull up alternate which side of the bar your head goes on, two big towels - for even more burn in the forearm for grip. If you've got some kettle bells or a gallon jug or something with some sort of weight, throw a towel around the handle to work on your grip.

S/F