• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DADT repealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Serving with women isn't an issue? Numerous clichéd statements? Is this a serious post?

Oh, sorry, this thread was supposed to be going downhill. Has anyone posted the Full Metal Jacket scene? Yeah? Well I've got nothing... sorry.

Do you really have an issue with a sharing a cockpit with a woman? Or having a woman on your wing?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking forward to seeing two Marines of the same sex dancing together at the Ball in uniform. Well not that so much but the reactions of the folks around them. There will be reactions. I pesonally don't care, gay, straight, just pull the fucking trigger.

Flying Toaster

None
Has anyone posted the Full Metal Jacket scene?

I posted it way back on page 1, unfortunately it got buried by relevant and serious discussion.

At first I was thinking that I would probably hit that... but as it kept going on... not so much

So, there I was, balls deep in some guy's ass. . .

There, go lower, I dare you.

It would only seem the natural progression for this conversation from there is into more discussion of deep roasted salty nuts. Perfect opportunity for an encore by Miss Teen SC-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/getcrackin/3984754291/

Clux4

Banned
Apparently, according to those against repeal, our military is actually less professional than the Europeans' militaries. Who'd have thought that President Obama held the military in higher esteem than Senator McCain, for example?

McCain is bad news these days. I mean, this guy made all kinds of comments about DADT, from saying he will rely on the military leadership to make determination and than he will endorse their decision. Then he changed to saying he wants to see a study. After the study came out, he started questioning the DOD leadership and their assessment. He questioned the validity of the study. And this is the guy that would have been our CinC.

Personally,I think homosexuality is crap.But if someone chooses to practice that, then so be it. I don't seem to care whether a guy fucks his wife in the ass or not, so why should I care about who a gay guy sleeps with. I believe a "No", is still a "No". It is not any different when a guy approaches a girl he is working with and she says "No".

I used to be closed-minded about gays serving in the military until I realized one of the guys I used to work with was gay. Pt stud and all, great Marine, great work mule, great gunner if I might add. He is now out of the Marine Corps and I don't for once question his bravery or commitment when he wore the uniform. Some of the folks on here pointing fingers have probably not served with a gay service member. This is not to say that I approve such a life style, but in the changing world that we live in, embracing and adapting to changes is a core value.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad you said it first. I've had a number of issues with women while serving under fire. In all fairness, I've had issues with a number of men too.
Deleted my post quoting you so here we go again. Idiots are idiots regardless of what race, gender, or orientation they are. Studs are studs regardless of the same. I don't have to approve of everything everyone in my unit does. I'm allowed to serve with someone and think they're going to hell. But if I chose to be the moral police I'd be laughed out of the ready room. What matters is how you do your job and not breaking the law or core values. If a gay guy is hitting on someone and won't take no for an answer, or eyeing them inappropriately, how is that different from a straight guy doing it to a chick? We've got rules to deal with that already. If a gay guy decides to fling it in everyone's face that he's gay, how is that different from anyone else injecting their politics in to the workplace? Douches will be dealt with as necessary. Some of those douches might happen to be gay now, that's all.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
IF a gay guy is hitting on someone and won't take no for an answer, or eyeing them inappropriately, how is that different from a straight guy doing it to a chick? We've got rules to deal with both.

And those rules have to be enforced. Enforcing those rules takes manpower, time, attention, and believe it or not.....money.

Stand by for a crap ton of (largely) bullshit gay sexual harassment complaints.

I'm NOT saying that it's reason to keep DADT, just that I'm expecting a lot of painful investigations to start in the next year or so. It'll probably die out over time, but there will still be some of them.

The personnel that investigate those claims will NOT be doing something productive with their time. Hopefully nothing important gets missed.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Has everyone forgotten that we are trying to fight and win a war right now? If we want to win, seems like we should focus on things other than DADT.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Clux4's last sentence in post#140, (- not picking on you Clux4) is very appropriate.

Some folks are of the mindset "...in the changing world that we live in, embracing and adapting to changes is a core value." Others are of the mindset, in the changing world that we live in, embracing and adapting my own moral standards to someone else's because the new progressive PC world tells me to, is unacceptable.

Leaders don't compromise their personal ethics and neither side of this discussion is 100% correct. That folks is why this topic will never die.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Of course there would be a difference between someone deployed and someone who isn't deployed, I totally understand that. What I guess I was trying to get at was how in depth the survey was. From what you answered and some others, I would say the survey really doesn't matter that much and/or didn't survey enough people/didn't go in depth enough. Then again, I haven't seen the results, so I don't know much.

Do you know where I could find the survey results in depth? When I look for it, I just keep finding news articles with the broader picture.

The whole reason I started this thread was to gain a better understanding of how current servicemembers, or at least sailors (or we could even go with naval officers given the nature of this site) feel about the subject. As a civilian beginning the application process, I find it interesting. The only opinions I've heard from were some buddies at the academies and in rotc, and I feel like while they're opinions do mean something, they're probably not as influential as some of the users on this site, who have served or been serving for years.

If you want the full results look in one of the "Military" Times papers (Marine Corps Times, Navy Times, etc)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leaders don't compromise their personal ethics and neither side of this discussion is 100% correct. That folks is why this topic will never die.
And that's why they give out these "commission" things and pay us the (sort of) big bucks.

Clux4

Banned
Clux4's last sentence in post#140, (- not picking on you Clux4) is very appropriate.

Some folks are of the mindset "...in the changing world that we live in, embracing and adapting to changes is a core value." Others are of the mindset, in the changing world that we live in, embracing and adapting my own moral standards to someone else's because the new progressive PC world tells me to, is unacceptable.

If I may add something. I don't approve of that life-style and will not raise my kids as such. But I will teach them to tolerate such people. That is all we can do in the world today. Because I am willing to work with gay service members does not mean I am compromising my values. My values are still the same. I am just being realistic and accepting of other views aside from mine. It still does not mean I condone such practice. For those folks working in the private sector, you already work and tolerate such people, so why are you thinking anything is different?

D

Deleted member 24525

all this means to me is more bullshit gmt to do.

i hope that this doesn't mean i can't use the word gay to describe gay stuff anymore.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Has everyone forgotten that we are trying to fight and win a war right now? If we want to win, seems like we should focus on things other than DADT.

And those rules have to be enforced. Enforcing those rules takes manpower, time, attention, and believe it or not.....money.

Stand by for a crap ton of (largely) bullshit gay sexual harassment complaints.

I'm NOT saying that it's reason to keep DADT, just that I'm expecting a lot of painful investigations to start in the next year or so. It'll probably die out over time, but there will still be some of them.

The personnel that investigate those claims will NOT be doing something productive with their time. Hopefully nothing important gets missed.

We're already wasting time and manpower enforcing DADT. I'd expect the wasted time factor to either remain the same or decrease. We'd get rid of the unnecessary investigations of gay personnel, and we wouldn't have to replace the man-hours spent training the hundreds of people getting kicked out under the old policy.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
If I may add something. I don't approve of that life-style and will not raise my kids as such. But I will teach them to tolerate such people. That is all we can do in the world today. Because I am willing to work with gay service members does not mean I am compromising my values. My values are still the same. I am just being realistic and accepting of other views aside from mine. It still does not mean I condone such practice. For those folks working in the private sector, you already work and tolerate such people, so why are you thinking anything is different?

Here is what I don't get. There is a big difference between working side by side with someone, and sleeping and showering side by side. This isn't a 9-5. It isn't a hair dressing job. There is much more to the military than working side by side. If I'm in the showers at the gym now, and there are gay dudes, I don't know it. Ignorance is bliss. Now, I may know that I'm showering with a bunch of gay guys. Now MY values are compromised. You may be fine with it, but I'm not. It's not the same as color or race, it is something completely different. They don't let us shower with the women, this should be the same thing.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Here is what I don't get. There is a big difference between working side by side with someone, and sleeping and showering side by side. This isn't a 9-5. It isn't a hair dressing job. There is much more to the military than working side by side. If I'm in the showers at the gym now, and there are gay dudes, I don't know it. Ignorance is bliss. Now, I may know that I'm showering with a bunch of gay guys. Now MY values are compromised. You may be fine with it, but I'm not. It's not the same as color or race, it is something completely different. They don't let us shower with the women, this should be the same thing.

This, +100

Status
Not open for further replies.