• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

D-Day has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Members of Airwarriors.com!

I am about to embark upon the Great Surgery, toward which I have striven these many months. The eyes of the medical profession are upon me. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with me. In company with my brave Surgeons and posters-in-arms on other Message Boards, my surgeon will bring about the destruction of Tripp's Poor Eyesight, the elimination of Myopic tyranny over the oppressed pupils of Tripp, and good vision for myself in a crystal clear world.

My task will not be an easy one. My contact lenses are well used, well worn and hardened. They will fight savagely before removal.

But this is the year 2005! Much has happened since the Myopic triumphs of 1991-92. The Fellows of the American Academy of Opthamology have inflicted upon the near-sighted eyeballs great defeats, in open battle, eye-to-eye. Their laser offensive has seriously reduced the Myopians strength in the ocular cavity and their capacity to wage war in the eyeball.

Our scientific community has given us a superiority in refractive lasers and munitions of surgery, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained operating men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world marching together to Victory over NAMI!

I have full confidence in their devotion to duty and skill in surgery. I will accept nothing less than full vision correction to 20/15!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Geek moment aside (sorry, I was playing Medal of Honor earlier tonight), my PRK surgery is scheduled for Tuesday...I'll "see" (pun oh-so-intended ;) ) you guys in a couple of days...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Haha, nearly exactly copied from MOH. Great game. Good luck with the surgery and good luck with the game as well. It's a good one.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Haha, nearly exactly copied from MOH. Great game.

uhm.... or Eisenhower's letter to the troops that the game probably quoted.....

I weep for the future if all knowledge is based on video games

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
No, I know that it's Eisenhower's letter. Doh! He just mentioned that he was playing Medal of Honor.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
D-Day + 1:

Well, I had my follow-up visit this morning and read the 20/50 line with my right eye and the 20/30 line with my left eye. I can see again!

Everyone talks about PRK being more painful than LASIK...the only "pain" I've experienced is a very mild itching, similar to leaving my contacts in too long. Not too bad, really.

This is still a surreal feeling though...kind of like if I won the lottery. I went to bed early last night and a friend of mine called my cell while I was asleep. When I reached over to pick up the phone, I could read the caller id without glasses. That in itself is a big deal. :thumbup_1

Here's looking at you,

Tripp

P.S.: I copied that directly from a copy of Ike's letter...MOH just gave me the idea.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Tripp said:
D-Day + 1: Tripp .....

BZ, Grasshopper .... I feel your pain --- I struggled with vision in eons past prior to PRK (and here I used to think PRK was North Korea) -- I did "eye exercises" and struggled into the program with a minimal 20/20+/- .... eyes later improved to 20/10 (???) -- go figure. I could see a bogey @ 20 miles --- eat your heart out, Chuck Yeager.

I now use these .....
groucho.jpg
All the best, Tripp. A4s

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Hey A4s, the eye exercise program worked for you? If you recall, do you know what program it was and what (minimal, I assume) problem you had with your eyes? I always assumed they were scams, generally.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Hey A4s, the eye exercise program worked for you? If you recall, do you know what program it was and what (minimal, I assume) problem you had with your eyes? I always assumed they were scams, generally.
HEY, DanMav !!! Oooooo ... boy. That was @ 40 years ago ... and I can't remember exactly. I do remember I had 20/30 left and 20/25 right for my USNA physical -- I was clueless that my eyes were less than O.K. The regimen mainly involved "focusing" exercises with an eyechart -- 30 minutes/day -- and was through an optometrist who didn't like eye doctors. It worked for an amigo of mine -- he got to the program ahead of me and salvaged an appointment to USNA. I went to what was then the "best" eye doctor in my city and was told to forget it -- if 20/20 was required, I would never fly.
eyechart.jpg
nearsightedness.jpg
I was diagnosed as having a refractive disorder --- myopia (nearsightedness) --- which I was told had both hereditary and environmental causes, such as nearpoint stress from reading. The "focusing" eye exercises were designed to relieve a so-called spasm of accommodation, believed to be a disruption of the eye's focusing capacity. That was my case --- and the exercises worked. BTW, my eyes always improved when I went on summer cruise (got away from the books) and after I graduated (got away from the books, again).

I did not "arrive" early enough into the eye exercise program and did not get 20/20 until too late to make 20/20 happen for my USNA appointment -- no waivers for eyesight were then being allowed. So I went NROTC 4-year "regular" scholarship -- I'd gotten my eyes down to a shaky 20/20 for that physical -- and have flown for the past 37 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.