• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANGO 1

Contributor
Are there any amarteur cyclist on this site or triathlon athletes, who would be thinking about some serious riding in the next couple years or maybe know some good cyclist in the Navy or the Marine Corp?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I'm an avid triathlete working on my second season. Navy training has really put a damper on this season (only 2 races so far). I'd like to, after winging and the rag, be a part of the navy's tri team.

TANGO 1

Contributor
what training program are you using ? i hope to join the Marine Corp triathlon team, after i get into the fleet. The Army has an awesome program though

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
I'm a beginner triathlete, my first and last triathlon was a 500 mtr swim 15.5 mile bike and a 5 mile run. I absolutely love it but my pft training is taking first priority so no more competitions. I didn't know that the Marine Corps had a triathlon team. That is so cool.

TANGO 1

Contributor
yeah, the Marine Corps has a triathlon team and its very competitive. But the training is intense. The Army has one of the best teams int he world. I am more of a cyclist than anything else. I am jgoing to try out for triathlon and see if i meet up to par.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Well I was in a triathlon club in college and I enjoyed the training we would do together. I probably wouldn't stack up enough to be on the USMC team but maybe I could start a triathlon club or just get some interested guys together down in Florida during my flight training. Cycling together is fun as well. I still need a lot of work on my swim technique though. Do the military triathlon teams go to the Ironman competitions and be on the professional circuit or just compete together?

TANGO 1

Contributor
The military teams are going to be on the ironman coming up in couple months. So watch out and cheer the Marine Corp team. They have a pretty solid team. A bunch of Captains and Majors and a few enlisted folks make up the team. They normally have trials every year. Right now they are in training in some place and all training is paid for by the military. It is an awesome time to get away from your MOS and then do something you like to do.
I am really interested in the cycling team. I am more of a cyclist. I would love to bring my bike down to P'cola and ride in the nice weather for about 6 months to a year. That will really get someone into great shape.
Forming a base cycling team would not be a bad idea. You never know we might go places to represent the Marine Corp.
But i must say that the U.S Army has the best triathlon team. Even the Westpoint team is awesome, i have watched them for a couple year now and they are outstanding.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
That doesn't surprise me that most of the triathlon team is Captains and Majors. The guy that finished first in my age division wouldn't even have gotten into the top 10 in the 30-35 age group. There is something about triathlons that you get better at it around middle age. There were some pretty old guys out there that were kicking my butt. I geuss it takes years of conditioning and experience. I wonder what the Army is doing that they would be better than the Marines. I'd hate to think that the Army was better than the Marines at something physical like that.

TANGO 1

Contributor
you know what, the Marine Corp is not the only branch of service that pays attention to physical fitness, even though we like to tell ourselves this. Well some of this athletes have years of experience and might have been professionals if they were not in the military. I will tell you that the Air-force has some of the best distance runners in the Armed Services. You just have to open your mind sometimes. I have to admit it but the Airforce so far has won a fear share amount of the Armed Service competition while the Marine Corp fights with the Navy to place third. The Airforce also has a pretty athletic program. That is why we need people like you to go out and represent the Marine Corp in certain events. I plan to join the cycling team if there is one. I have been training here and there when there is the opportunity, but really you need between 8,000 and 10,000 base mileage to do well in a competition and i don't have the time right now. But if you are interested it is something you can always train yourself and in couple years you will be fit.
You right, you get better a things like cycling as you get older, the reason being that your body gets matured with the sport and then it is like part of you. So years of training will definately get you where you like to be.

Wolfpack

Triathlete/Cyclist

This is my first year as a triathlete. I've done 6 races and have 3-4 more ahead of me with hopefully a half Ironman in September. I'm waiting on my final select now for OCS. So there is a Navy Tri team where you (if you qualify) can participate and it is like your full time job for a period of time? Full pay and everything? Is this true for a cycling team as well? I would love to read more about this. I'm competitive in the bike and run but have work to do on my swim. Is there a link available?

Thanks.

TANGO 1

Contributor
See, i am positive the Navy has a site made up somewhere but i would not know how to reach it. But i know how to get to the Marine Corp site. But i am sure google will be very helpful.
I am more of a cyclist really and not a triathlete and i am only going to try my hands on it and see how it goes.
Yeah, it is really awesome because it affords you some time to go away from your regular job and just do something you like doing while you get competitive and also get paid, plus a coach is hired to train. It is really awesome.
I am looking to start a cyling team if ones does not already exist. Cycling is really my passion. I love hills and all that stuff, but i have not had time lately to hit the road. I hope to do so in the next couple years.
yeah, check google out and see what you can find about the Navy's tri team

Wolfpack

Yea, I checked google about a month ago but all I could find was the academy's cycling team so I assumed that it was only collegiate and did not exist for the fleet. Hopefully, when I get on the inside I can learn more about it and track a tri or cycling team down. To be able to rotate into that kind of billet would be amazing for the time it lasted. Thanks and good luck.

TANGO 1

Contributor
I think you really just go out for the duration of the Ironman event and the Amred forces competitions. I can't really say for sure for how long they will let you leave your primary job. Probably 2 months prior to the event or something like that.

DairyCreamer

What on earth does this thread have to do with the Marine Corps PFT? I'd say this discussion belongs in the Misc. discussion. Talking about how much you love cycling is fine and all, just not here.

Keep it topical TANGO.

~Nate

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Ok, gotta shut out some rumors.

Read: http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/sports.htm (scroll down)
http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/runteam.htm

1) You have to meet certain guidelines (certain times for certain distance races)
1a) 2:30:00 for olympic distance triathlon, 19:00 for 5k, 39:00 for 10k, etc.
2)You have to apply
2a) they only accept 10 men for triatlhon in your area
2b) there are a ton of geographical areas in which you can compete
3) If accepted, you race X races in your area.
3a) You go TAD to do these races.
4) You get in free, etc, etc. Free clothing/gear. (new balance shoes)

Status
Not open for further replies.