• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CW Reserve Mobilizations

CyWEplz

Hello,

I did see the recent thread asking a similar question however, that post specified OCS and I am going the Reserves route. So...

If I understand correctly, a (minimum) contract for a Reserve CW officer is 8 years, right?

How many mobilizations are you expected to serve in your 8 years? How much say do you have in where and when?

I was under the impression that CWs mostly mobilize shoreside, and CONUS at that. Since this information is from the USNA website, does it only apply to USNA students?

Regardless, I hear that your first tour will be one of those 4 locations anyways. Is this true?

Finally, how often/likely is it to mobilize OCONUS?

Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello,

I did see the recent thread asking a similar question however, that post specified OCS and I am going the Reserves route. So...

If I understand correctly, a (minimum) contract for a Reserve CW officer is 8 years, right?

How many mobilizations are you expected to serve in your 8 years? How much say do you have in where and when?

I was under the impression that CWs mostly mobilize shoreside, and CONUS at that. Since this information is from the USNA website, does it only apply to USNA students?

Regardless, I hear that your first tour will be one of those 4 locations anyways. Is this true?

Thank you.

It says you’re a student but interested in CW DCO (reserve)?

DCO programs often require 5-10 years relevant work experience. It’s not intended for someone fresh out of or currently in college.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
You should expect to do 1. You can volunteer for an opportunity, if you get involuntarily mobilized, you will not have a say where and when you go.
I was under the impression that CWs mostly mobilize shoreside, and CONUS at that.
Not a chance, not sure where this information came from.
I dont know what the 4 locations are but you will be assigned to a NIOC until you get you CW qualification at least.
Highly likely and should happen at least once in your initial tour. You can volunteer as much as you like.

CyWEplz

It says you’re a student but interested in CW DCO (reserve)?

DCO programs often require 5-10 years relevant work experience. It’s not intended for someone fresh out of or currently in college.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not a student. I am a working professional with relevant credentials and experience. I was asking if the information on that page is relevant to me if I am seeking an ODS opportunity since that website appears to be for USNA students.

CyWEplz

You should expect to do 1. You can volunteer for an opportunity, if you get involuntarily mobilized, you will not have a say where and when you go.

Not a chance, not sure where this information came from.

I dont know what the 4 locations are but you will be assigned to a NIOC until you get you CW qualification at least.

Highly likely and should happen at least once in your initial tour. You can volunteer as much as you like.
Thanks for your reply.

Does the NIOC assignment count as a mobilization?

The 4 locations are:
  • Cryptologic Warfare Group Six (CWG-6) – Fort Meade, MD
  • Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Georgia – Fort Gordon, GA
  • NIOC Texas – San Antonio, TX
  • NIOC Hawaii – Kunia, HI
according to that page I linked. https://www.usna.edu/InformationWarfare/accessions/after_selection.php

Where are the OCONUS locations? Basically anywhere that we have a base? Are there set permanent locations (and if so, where?) or are these rotating?
Can you just mobilize at the NIOC stations?

CyWEplz

Why are you linking USNA information to the reserves? They are separate. Nobody is going to tell you where the OCONUS mobilizations are.
Because it says:
"
Currently, a CW Officer’s first tour is at one of four locations.

Cryptologic Warfare Group Six (CWG-6) – Fort Meade, MD
Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Georgia – Fort Gordon, GA
NIOC Texas – San Antonio, TX
NIOC Hawaii – Kunia, HI
"
And I'm just trying to figure out if this also applies to reserve officers.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Because it says:
"
Currently, a CW Officer’s first tour is at one of four locations.

Cryptologic Warfare Group Six (CWG-6) – Fort Meade, MD
Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) Georgia – Fort Gordon, GA
NIOC Texas – San Antonio, TX
NIOC Hawaii – Kunia, HI
"
And I'm just trying to figure out if this also applies to reserve officers.

Naval academy doesn’t commission reserve officers. You are referencing active duty.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Are reserve officers also initially stationed at one of those 4 locations?
My experience- freshly commissioned 1815. I’m reporting to CWG-6 by request through my NRC. Few of my NSW brothers are there as O’s, so not sure if that’s relevant

Last edited: