• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Custom vs Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget81

pilot
I am scheduled to have conventional PRK on March 17. The doctor told me that with my prescription (-1.5 left, -1.25 right) that I probably wouldn't respond any better to custom than conventional and that I should save the extra dough ($500 difference). For those guys that have had PRK done, does this sound accurate because I've been reading a lot of posts here that say "custom all the way..."

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Yeah, your doc is sending you good gouge...I asked my surgeon the same question and she said a custom job in some cases isn't necessary. Go ahead and save the dough...

Whalebite

uuuummmmm yea, find this out....does your dr have the capability to do custom? my guess is he doesn't have the equiptment and doesn't want to spend a lot of money for it. Custom corrects higher aberations which everyone has, you could have 20 20 and get custom and you might get 20 15, custom is supposed to get rid of the inherent problems of standard like halo and starburst...i had custom and glad i did, i read the stats and something like 90% of standard gets halos starburst etc. its your eyes, for the next 60 or more years for only 500$ (plus a mil career in aviation )
GET CUSTOM

bubba716

If you can afford the additional cash for the custom I would do it. Like whalebite said with custom their is less of a chance that you will get halo's and whatnot further down the road. I had custom PRK and I love it. Vision is 20/15 in both eyes. Another thing I would suggest is maybe talk to another doctor. The first doctor I went to told me the same thing about not doing custom, however the second doctor I went too which was in Killeen near Ft. Hood told me that he recommended any person wanting to be a pilot to get custom. The sole purpose being that you probably won't get halo's, ect.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I did the custom thing because I have large pupils. With the exception of the first few days, I never saw a single halo or starburst. The results are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.