• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN (Current) SNA switching to SNFO possible?

rob_crooso

Hello everyone, I am currently an SNA that has been hanging out in Pensacola waiting to start for a while now. I primarily selected the aviation community because of how many recommendations I got not to go subs or SWO, and I am happy with that decision. What I am dealing with now is the decision to continue forward with the SNA path or switch over to SNFO. I am completely medically qualified for SNA (upchit) and prereqs are done; I've been waiting for 8 months now and still do not have a RTG number. First, I would be grateful to hear if this type of switch is even possible or something you know has been done for non-medical reasons. The time to get through the pipeline as an SNA and commitment is really weighing on me. I am proud to be a Naval Officer and be serving my country, but this is also not something I want to do longer than my commitment to pay back college. I want to learn leadership, management, build up my savings, and do cool things with my time in the Navy. My roommates are both SNFOs who are a few flights into primary and they got down here almost 2 months after me. I have no burning desire for any specific community or airframe beyond P-8s. Regardless of what I do or end up doing in the aviation community I will of course put maximum effort in and be the best I can be. I am scared I will end up bitter being locked into the long commitment with no agency over when I can separate or not. If everything was equal between SNA and SNFO, I would choose SNA. But everything isn't equal and that's where my hesitations come in.

I would be grateful for any thoughts anyone has on the commitment timeframe and switching over, thank you in advance.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I will watch this thread. I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I am interested in manny aspects mentioned above.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What is the current difference in commitment?

I’d say quality of life is similar within the respective communities based on what I’ve seen, but the communities themselves (jets, props, maritime, helos) can be quite different. If you don’t have a burning desire to be in direct control of the aircraft, it comes down to the community itself more than pilot/NFO.

Also, there are no NFOs in helicopters, so there’s that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you at least have the virtue of novelty. Usually it’s the other way ‘round - student Trunk Monkeys with a case of “I was supposed to be a pilot.” I’m sure you’d find plenty of them willing to swap billets with you (though I’m not sure stucon would give a shit if you did).

If it’s advice you want, though - if you do try this with stucon, I’d leave out that “I want to get out as soon as possible” part. That’s not going to charm anybody.

rob_crooso

What is the current difference in commitment?

I’d say quality of life is similar within the respective communities based on what I’ve seen, but the communities themselves (jets, props, maritime, helos) can be quite different. If you don’t have a burning desire to be in direct control of the aircraft, it comes down to the community itself more than pilot/NFO.

Also, there are no NFOs in helicopters, so there’s that.
Current commitment is 6 years for NFOs and 8 years for SNAs, but NFOs wing a whole lot quicker, like potentially years quicker. Glad to hear differences are more so community based.

rob_crooso

Well, you at least have the virtue of novelty. Usually it’s the other way ‘round - student Trunk Monkeys with a case of “I was supposed to be a pilot.” I’m sure you’d find plenty of them willing to swap billets with you (though I’m not sure stucon would give a shit if you did).

If it’s advice you want, though - if you do try this with stucon, I’d leave out that “I want to get out as soon as possible” part. That’s not going to charm anybody.
Thank you. I wanted to be completely honest with you all here. If I decide to switch I absolutely will not frame it like that. I am still going to give it my all no matter what happens or how long I stay in.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’d consider what you’d be interested in doing after the military. If it’s anything to do with flying, stay on the pilot route. Your qualifications from the military will more than make up for the additional two years of service. If you’re not interested in flying on the civilian side, then it doesn’t matter. Both paths will get you leadership and life experience that will serve you well on the outside.

Also, two years of additional commitment plus additional time in the training pipeline is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you have an overwhelming desire to be an NFO based on the job itself, then go for it, but don’t make the decision solely based on your training/career timeline. You will still get out either way with plenty of time to find your next career.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Hello everyone, I am currently an SNA that has been hanging out in Pensacola waiting to start for a while now. I primarily selected the aviation community because of how many recommendations I got not to go subs or SWO, and I am happy with that decision. What I am dealing with now is the decision to continue forward with the SNA path or switch over to SNFO. I am completely medically qualified for SNA (upchit) and prereqs are done; I've been waiting for 8 months now and still do not have a RTG number. First, I would be grateful to hear if this type of switch is even possible or something you know has been done for non-medical reasons. The time to get through the pipeline as an SNA and commitment is really weighing on me. I am proud to be a Naval Officer and be serving my country, but this is also not something I want to do longer than my commitment to pay back college. I want to learn leadership, management, build up my savings, and do cool things with my time in the Navy. My roommates are both SNFOs who are a few flights into primary and they got down here almost 2 months after me. I have no burning desire for any specific community or airframe beyond P-8s. Regardless of what I do or end up doing in the aviation community I will of course put maximum effort in and be the best I can be. I am scared I will end up bitter being locked into the long commitment with no agency over when I can separate or not. If everything was equal between SNA and SNFO, I would choose SNA. But everything isn't equal and that's where my hesitations come in.

I would be grateful for any thoughts anyone has on the commitment timeframe and switching over, thank you in advance.
You are being short-sighted, immature, and not completely honest with yourself. Being a Naval Officer, let alone a Naval Aviator / Naval Flight Officer will require a level of commitment and sacrifice that you obviously don't appreciate yet. And that's OK, for now. If you ask many on this board if they would do it all over again, I am positive, without question, they would ALL say yes. Why do you think that is?

Dontcallmegump

pilot

The last two years of your time in (the difference between pilot and NFO) is a little thing called the disassociated sea tour. If you want "to learn leadership, management and build my savings" that opertunity is the ideal. Some would tell you that as an aviation officer that tour is the first time you would really do those things.

Most who are hesitant about the slightly longer commitment are so because all they want to do is fly and that tour isnt a flying one for the majority of pilots and NFOs. Instead its all about leadership and management and new training opertunities and responsibilities.

You're right that everything isn't equal between the training of pilots and NFOs. It costs a lot more in time money and other resources to wing a pilot than it does an NFO. That results to there being more competition for their skills on the outside. In order for the navy to recuperate these costs, they require more of your time. Because of the opportunity nearly everyone who begins their career as a 1390 sees that as a fair trade.

But to answer the direct question, it's probably possible. However it's not a just somthing that schools command, or a TRAWING down the line would do without question. They'll almost certainly want to know why you're trying to jump off your track, and depending on how they feel about what you tell them, maybe it'll happen maybe not. Maybe they won't like what you have to say so much you won't be put into either pipeline. Unlikely, but there have been times that large numbers of students have been let go for much less. Then again I knew of people who didn't fit in their spot literally and figuratively, and got swapped.

Think carefully and tread lightly.

rob_crooso

I’d consider what you’d be interested in doing after the military. If it’s anything to do with flying, stay on the pilot route. Your qualifications from the military will more than make up for the additional two years of service. If you’re not interested in flying on the civilian side, then it doesn’t matter. Both paths will get you leadership and life experience that will serve you well on the outside.

Also, two years of additional commitment plus additional time in the training pipeline is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you have an overwhelming desire to be an NFO based on the job itself, then go for it, but don’t make the decision solely based on your training/career timeline. You will still get out either way with plenty of time to find your next career.
Thank you. This really helps to hear and reinforces what my family has said to me as well.

rob_crooso

You are being short-sighted, immature, and not completely honest with yourself. Being a Naval Officer, let alone a Naval Aviator / Naval Flight Officer will require a level of commitment and sacrifice that you obviously don't appreciate yet. And that's OK, for now. If you ask many on this board if they would do it all over again, I am positive, without question, they would ALL say yes. Why do you think that is?
You're right and I appreciate you for saying is so straightforwardly. Thank you.

rob_crooso

The last two years of your time in (the difference between pilot and NFO) is a little thing called the disassociated sea tour. If you want "to learn leadership, management and build my savings" that opertunity is the ideal. Some would tell you that as an aviation officer that tour is the first time you would really do those things.

Most who are hesitant about the slightly longer commitment are so because all they want to do is fly and that tour isnt a flying one for the majority of pilots and NFOs. Instead its all about leadership and management and new training opertunities and responsibilities.

You're right that everything isn't equal between the training of pilots and NFOs. It costs a lot more in time money and other resources to wing a pilot than it does an NFO. That results to there being more competition for their skills on the outside. In order for the navy to recuperate these costs, they require more of your time. Because of the opportunity nearly everyone who begins their career as a 1390 sees that as a fair trade.

But to answer the direct question, it's probably possible. However it's not a just somthing that schools command, or a TRAWING down the line would do without question. They'll almost certainly want to know why you're trying to jump off your track, and depending on how they feel about what you tell them, maybe it'll happen maybe not. Maybe they won't like what you have to say so much you won't be put into either pipeline. Unlikely, but there have been times that large numbers of students have been let go for much less. Then again I knew of people who didn't fit in their spot literally and figuratively, and got swapped.

Think carefully and tread lightly.
Thank you for your insight. I did not know that and it makes me happy to hear and sounds right up my ally. I am excited for my career and I think my time down here so far has been too much time to think. I genuinely appreciate you and everyone else for providing your wisdom and taking the time to help me out. I definitely needed someone with experience to confirm I am going down the right track and help settle my reservations. The commitment seems scary to me because its more than a third of the life I've currently lived and like robav8r said right now I simply am immature and short sighted. I am proud to be apart of this community and excited to begin my career. Thank you all.