• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current SNA at Kingsville - Send Questions

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I did get slapped by Eglin Approach one night for for replying back as Navy One-Twenty-Three instead of Navy Eight Echo one-two-three. I'll admit it was little cavelier and not per the FTI, but I was VFR flight following through the corridor north to south on a night fam for a beach run back to a hospital run. I did sign off with Roger-Wilco-Over-and-Out though, just to spite him. Okay, I'm lying...I didn't smart off to approach. I may have added "Thank you and good night, Sir."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've noticed when you make the callsign painfully long, both Approach and Center tend to shorten it after you give them a quick short call response. It's become my new strategy. "MEDEVAC Helicopter ONE TWO THREE FOXTROT UNIFORM cleared direct to..." quickly becomes "MEDEVAC THREE FOX UNIFORM, cleared direct..." I think everyone is relieved when the first person breaks the ice and shortens the call.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There is something in either the AIM or the FAA radio procedure book on this. You’re supposed to use full for initial check in with any controller and then it can be shortened by the controller. Once he does that, you can too.

Or you can just say what you want. If the controller doesn’t like it, he’ll tell you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is something in either the AIM or the FAA radio procedure book on this. You’re supposed to use full for initial check in with any controller and then it can be shortened by the controller. Once he does that, you can too.

Or you can just say what you want. If the controller doesn’t like it, he’ll tell you.

I'm pretty sure it's in the AIM. I've just noticed that with the longer pre-fix, if I offer up the shorter callsign first, especially when it's busy, I'm met with almost no resistance from ATC and they go along quickly, unlike running under a normal N-number. I think they get tired of the mouthful as much as I do, and I'm running at least 1 if not 2 other radios, so trying to keep things brief is helpful.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I'm pretty sure it's in the AIM. I've just noticed that with the longer pre-fix, if I offer up the shorter callsign first, especially when it's busy, I'm met with almost no resistance from ATC and they go along quickly, unlike running under a normal N-number. I think they get tired of the mouthful as much as I do, and I'm running at least 1 if not 2 other radios, so trying to keep things brief is helpful.
Yep! 4-2-3 specifically, Contact Procedures. I got corrected going in Delta on my first solo cross country when I tried to shorten my tail number to the last three digits, ATC reminded me I needed to state all of it and let them do the shortening. The guy was nice about it though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, to be fair, if you have -SOLO at the end of the callsign, you're given a short leash to begin with.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
My typical helicopter controlling experiences follow the lines of “stay at or below (;)) 500 and don’t talk to me again.”

Sometimes it’s good to be ignored or forgotten as the middle-child of aviation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My typical helicopter controlling experiences follow the lines of “stay at or below (;)) 500 and don’t talk to me again.”

Sometimes it’s good to be ignored or forgotten as the middle-child of aviation.

That can be good, but it's even better when I run my discrete program squawk and call in with my program call sign (when VFR). At worst I'll get a, "are you on an active mission?"

"Affirm."

"Roger, cleared as requested."

And done.

I will say it's amusing to hear the junior controllers at NAS when we check in. It's clear they have no idea about the 19-kajillion heliports (hospitals) that are in their airspace when we ask for something. "Uhm, roger, cleared as requested."

600AA

pilot
How did your prior flight experience help (or hurt) you during primary? What habits were hard to break and how did you over come them? Thanks!

Pags

N/A
pilot
As long as you preface every communication with "Aaaaaand...." before you say what you intend to say, you know everything you'll ever need to know about aviation jargon.

Example:

Gamestopper 469:
"And, Ground, this is Gamestopper 469."
Ground: "Gamestopper 469, Ground."
Gamestopper 469: "Aaaand, from Gamestopper 469, I'd like to [request]."
Ground: "Gamestopper 469, Ground, proceed to [requested thing]."
Gamestopper 469: "Aaaaaaaaand Ground, Roger, [readback the thing]."
<Click>

Uhh......

<Click>
<Click>
And do I have to repeat the "and" or is that only certain callsigns like GIANT KILLER?

UH....
<click>
<click>
uh......

ON GUARD

<click>

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Will I be able to take time off to get married?"

Follow up question, "In Mexico?"

:p