• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current OCS App Competetive Profile

DairyCreamer

Holy crap, been forever. Hi to anyone who remembers who I am.

Anyone out there have detailed insight in to the current competetive profile for SNA applicants? SNFO too for that matter, why the hell not?

Also... what is the cutoff age again for applying for either SNA or SNFO?

~Nate

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
When I walked into my recruiting office, they said they generally are much more willing to talk to officer applicants who have a 3.5 or above. From what I've seen on this foum, though, that's definitely not a cutoff.

I also got a peek at a special sheet my recruiter had with the board in Tennessee's "competitive profile." It said 59 OAR, and all 6s on the ASTB. I don't know if that was a cutoff or if that was just what they would have liked to see.

It also listed flight time as a positive (but I had none) and any drug use as a negative. As you'll see from this forum, plenty of people admitted to smoking marijuana and got in. Just don't lie. It also listed athletics as a positive. All I do in college is intramurals and I did downhill skiing and track in high school; so even half-assed athletes like me can get in.

I saw this list in September. Don't know how current that still is.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I can't tell you much about the average profile, but I got picked up for pilot last week with an average GPA in Aerospace Engineering, great ASTB, zero flight time, solid LORs and solid extracurriculars, including lots of athletics and leadership.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^All the above is pretty much right on. Remember, the competitive profile is much like an average selected candidate. Because they DO look at the entire application and consider circumstances that can come into a person's life, there is some give and take. Basically, that means if you have a GPA lower then the mid 3s you better be in a rigorous major, like engineering. If you don't have a OAR in the high 50s and 7s, then you better have a very good GPA in a rigorous program. Not too good in the PRT, better make up for it some other way. Not much in the way of extracurricular activities, but captain of the Cross Country team at a division 1 school and you will be fine. But saying there is some variation in the competitive profile is not meant to invite an application that is uniformly below the profile. Recruiters have a good idea what will fly. If they tell you to retest or even take a hike, 2.3 in history, recent pot use, no significant employment or extracurriculars, so so OAR, then hit the bricks. Get on with your life. Just because you can't be a naval officer doesn't mean you won't have a good life.

mkuriluk

I was just told this afternoon by a recruiter that the cut-off for pilot/nfo is 55 and 6's...that is to merely qualify, not necessarily be competitive as well. And, like mentioned before, a stellar PRT, athletics/leadership in school/college and solid LOR's are very helpful.

thull

quick question - where does the OAR number come from in the ASTB? "Officer Aptitude" from a test on physics, math, mechanics, navigation and memorization? I understand that's part of your abilities as a would-be pilot/FO, but where exactly does the OAR number come from? Is it just some average of the first three results? if so what's the point?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
ASTB is a black box. The only sections that matter for OAR are the first three sections (math mechanics reading), who knows how they are weighted. Probably it changes to keep things nice and Gaussian.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I think its just a nifty name given to a score. Nothing to worry about.