• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS CTW1 T-45 is now a float plane

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am Sure it will fly again, after a year or two...

There is a good lesson to the studs in this - we brief this kind of thing every flight, It is important! And when things do go wrong, our safety systems work!
Yeah, after a good run through the NADEP, it should fly again. They craned it out of the water at about 8pm last night and were towing it toward the hangars.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, after a good run through the NADEP, it should fly again. They craned it out of the water at about 8pm last night and were towing it toward the hangars.
If there was a blue cloud surrounding the Meridian hangar recently, it probably was originated by the MO and/or corrosion control supe. :D

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
In all honesty, I think the saltwater damage wouldn't be a huge issue. Replace the landing gear, throw in a new motor. That stuff is probably all sitting around a shop somewhere. What seems to me to be harder to replace is the cockpit after it was melted by the ejection sequence.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all honesty, I think the saltwater damage wouldn't be a huge issue. Replace the landing gear, throw in a new motor. That stuff is probably all sitting around a shop somewhere. What seems to me to be harder to replace is the cockpit after it was melted by the ejection sequence.
Nah, all the boxes come out pretty easily and can be replaced.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, send it over to NADEP...if their thoroughput of F/A-18s over the last few years are any indication of productivity, they will have that T-45 back on the flightline in 10 years.
Yeah, I have a friend that works at NADEP NASNI and they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. She absolutely hates her GS job.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
OK so what's the story there? How'd that bird get left out there?
It recovered during those conditions.

There's a great video somewhere of the then XO landing it Chi..., err reverse orientation. He hovered over the spot for a minute or two getting in sync with the deck motion before planting it. I wasn't on that cruise, but I assume the crew shut themselves down and ran inside - too dangerous to tow the bird.

It's probably being flown by 84/85 now.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
It recovered during those conditions.

There's a great video somewhere of the then XO landing it Chi..., err reverse orientation. He hovered over the spot for a minute or two getting in sync with the deck motion before planting it. I wasn't on that cruise, but I assume the crew shut themselves down and ran inside - too dangerous to tow the bird.

It's probably being flown by 84/85 now.
That was the only way to get it onboard given the winds and sea state. The flight deck was cleared of all but the LSE and Chain crew and as the helo was on final a wave almost hit the tailwheel. IIRC our MX guys had it cleaned up, inspected, and flying again in under 2 weeks. Surprisingly those weren't even the worst seas I saw when I was out there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That was the only way to get it onboard given the winds and sea state. The flight deck was cleared of all but the LSE and Chain crew and as the helo was on final a wave almost hit the tailwheel. IIRC our MX guys had it cleaned up, inspected, and flying again in under 2 weeks. Surprisingly those weren't even the worst seas I saw when I was out there.

So was the ship running downwind due to PIM and/or running from the storm? I was always curious why it was pointed in the direct it was, so now hearing it was due to winds makes more sense.