• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cryptology and foreign languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneSailor

jonathan83 said:
I haven't signed any type of contract. The only thing I signed was to give permission for that recruiter to get my transcript from my university so he could talk to the Officer recruiter, etc.

Thanks for all the information so far. Does anyone have information on the Officer side of cryptology and what exactly they do?

After reading all about cryptology on navy.com, it says you will go to the DLI and learn a new language. If that's not what this is about then I'm not sure if that's what I want to do or not. I really would like to go to DLI. Hopefully, there is an officer program that would allow me to do that (anyone know?)

Thanks again for your help

Jonathan,

The job description that you saw at the Navy.com website pertained only to CTI's (Cryptologic Technician Interpretive). The CT community has 6 branches. They are the CTI (Interpretive), CTR (Cryptologic Technician Collection), CTA (Cryptologic Technician Administration), CTO (Cryptologic Technician Communication), CTM (Cryptologic Technician Maintenance) and CTN (Cryptologic Technician Network; new rating only available to current CT's). I'm not going to explain what each and every one of them do, but I'm sure you can find a job description by going to GOOGLE. CTI's are the only ones that go to DLI.

As far as being a Crippy officer goes, without going too much into it, they basically manage the mission and oversee everything.

Do a search on SIGINT if you're interested.

Reactions: JKD

jonathan83

Thanks for the information. If I were to go enlisted I'd most definitely go the CTI route, but does anyone know if there are Officers that go to the DLI?

LoneSailor

Jonathan, we're going around in circles here. I think zab1001's first post pretty much answered that question. Being a cryppy officer, I see no reason why one would go to DLI unless they were going to an exchange tour/program like what zab1001 mentioned. The linguistic stuff is pretty much left to CTI's in the CT community.

I've seen many cryppy officers go to Monterey, not for DLI, but for the naval postgraduate school.

Good luck.

jonathan83

Right, I was just seeing if there were other types of officers besides Cryptology that would offer something like that though. What exactly are exchange tours? Is that something you can talk about? I guess I could enlist, do CTI (to get to the DLI), then go through the process to become an officer; but I'd have to find out if that's possible, and how difficult that would be.

Thanks again for the info. I'll most definitely talk to an officer recruiter before I start back up with that enlisted guy.

nater

As a Cryptologic linguist, I'm telling you -
If you want to go to DLI - and this is most important to you - then you need to enlist. If you want to be an officer- and this is most important to you -be prepared to never set foot in a DLI classroom. Yes, very few Crypto officers get to DLI, but there are some. The odds are not in your favor, however.
Do not be upset if you become an officer and don't go to DLI.
Also - if you enlist and manage to get to DLI, you will not select your language. This will be done for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.