• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cryptology and foreign languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan83

I'm a senior at a major university in Texas, and I'm looking into the Navy because I have a very high interst in foreign languages and computers. My major is Spanish, and my GPA is (not very competitive) a 3.0. I've been researching the cryptology field (and intel field as well) for quite some time now on the Navy.com website, and it seems exactly what I'd like to do. I would absolutely love to learn a new language at the DLI, etc. but is that only for enlisted? I would rather go the officer route, but I'd like to know the difference in these 2 jobs. I know getting into OCS will be hard, etc. but before I even think about doing that, I'd like to know what I'd be getting into.

So, I know that enlisting to become a CTI would mean going to Monterey and learn a new language, but would the Officer program let me learn a new language as well?

Any other info. you have about crypto I'd love to hear it! (intel as well), or if there are any other programs that specifically deal with learning a new language and using it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm at DLI now, 75% done with the Basic Spanish Course, so yes, there are officers here. HOWEVER, most are warfare qualified guys like me (aviators, swo, and a couple of seabees) going on to exchange tours. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 Ensigns here, non-line officers, and I assume they are Crypto and finagled a way in. Talk to the officer recruiter FIRST before going anywhere near an enlisted recruiter. As a side note, for enlisted, they typically do not let you pick your language, they make you take the Defense Language Apptitude Battery (DLAB), and then based on that score they decide what language you will learn.

jonathan83

I've talked to an Officer recruiter once before, but nothing serious; we just talked about my GPA and stuff. However, from browsing the Navy.com website, they got my phone number and called me for an appointment (Enlisted recruiter) so I went ahead and went in to talk to them for awhile. I took the practice test and made a 94 (out of a possible 99 he said) and he wants me to go take the ASVAB on Tuesday.

He also said he was going to get my transcript and talk to an Officer recruiter first, to see if I would even qualify, but the enlisted recruiters said there wasn't much hope of that :( (I'm not sure if they were bs'ing, tellin the truth, or a little bit of both).

On a side note, if there is a CTI out there, I would really like to know what exactly you guys do..I know some of it is classified, but if you could just describe the skills you use, etc. so I would know if that would be something I could do for several years. I would love to learn a new language and use it often. And if there's an officer position where I could learn and use a language, the better!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TALK TO THE OFFICER RECRUITER FIRST, ON YOUR OWN, W/O THE ENLISTED RECRUITER.

i cannot stress that enough

LoneSailor

jonathan,

I'm a CTR, but I work with many CTI's.

Being a navy linguist, your type of duty will always vary. You'll probobly get the chance to do in-country immersion for your language target. Duties can include shore-duty, SpecWar, Air Crew, and TAD to surface or sub platforms (you will never be PCS'd either platforms). 90% of the time you will be working in a joint environment. Special duty can also include UN service, service WITH second party foreign intelligence services and more that can't be listed on here.

That enlisted recruiter is probobly BS'ing you. Try to get a second or third opinion from other recruiters/sources.

Anyway, good luck on your choice.

STA-21-INTEL

I'm an IS and we work somewhat with the CTI's and I can tell you from my experience most CTI's say it wasn't what they expected. Yes you learn a language (chosen by the Navy, as previously mentioned) but most of them don't actually speak it alot. Most of the training (and again, I'm passing info given me by CTI's I know) is used to translate what you hear over the radios you guys use. In rare situations (like a foreign ship in distress) you would respond, but generally you don't want the listenee to know you are the listener! I would echo the sentiment of zab and talk to the officer recruiter as much as possible. Enlisted recruiters will tell you that you don't qualify to go officer because they want you to go enlisted. I am not bashing the E side of the house (I'm currently enlisted myself, commisioning soon), but if you want officer first, you should stick to it and find out what it offers. The key is to get as much information as possible before signing ANY contract. This forum is a great start. The Navy website is decent, but keep in mind they are trying to recruit you there too. Keep trying to find CTI's and crypy officers to pick their brains. Where the recruiters will get you is if you are in a hurry and uninformed so just be patient and educate yourself.

mbergem

Final Select Crypto, OCS 30 JUL 2005
jonathan83,

Echoing everyone here.... TALK TO THE OFFICER RECRUITER... That said, are there other reasons you want to go Crypto? From what I understand, you will only really be sent to DLI if you are able to finagle your way into an air unit. Then you will get to go to DLI, SERES (fun!), etc... Otherwise, as an officer, there really will be no reason to learn a language. Keep in mind, your primary role as an officer will be management, reporting, and presenting information to your higher ups.

For me, I wanted Crypto for my love of communications technology. I am a Mathematics major and have worked in the IT industry for the last 6 years (I am currently working as the IT Director for a small aerospace co. ) So with the math major I understand the theory of Cryptology and my work experience has given me practical use of it.

I have just complete my app process for Crypto (well, I was board selected last Wednesday, I still do not have an OCS date). DO NOT STRESS ABOUT GRADES, test scores, "if you're qualified", trust me, the Navy really does look at the "whole person". I had a less than stellar GPA and some screw-ups in my past, but I was honest about every thing and they could see through the mistakes I had made. So, if you want to be an officer, apply. What is the worst that can happen?

Last word of advice, if you are applying for an officer slot, you must be VERY patient. From the time I first called a recruiter to now has been 15 mo! (Of course a lot of that time was spent getting into shape! :) )

Good Luck!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mbergem said:
jonathan83,

Echoing everyone here.... TALK TO THE OFFICER RECRUITER... That said, are there other reasons you want to go Crypto? From what I understand, you will only really be sent to DLI if you are able to finagle your way into an air unit. Then you will get to go to DLI, SERES (fun!), etc...

Hm, not too sure about that. Squadrons have Crypto officers? Must be nice. Neither of the Intel guys in my squadron had been through DLI or SERE.

LoneSailor

zab1001 said:
Hm, not too sure about that. Squadrons have Crypto officers? Must be nice. Neither of the Intel guys in my squadron had been through DLI or SERE.

Yep, Cryppie Aircew.

jonathan83

I haven't signed any type of contract. The only thing I signed was to give permission for that recruiter to get my transcript from my university so he could talk to the Officer recruiter, etc.

Thanks for all the information so far. Does anyone have information on the Officer side of cryptology and what exactly they do?

After reading all about cryptology on navy.com, it says you will go to the DLI and learn a new language. If that's not what this is about then I'm not sure if that's what I want to do or not. I really would like to go to DLI. Hopefully, there is an officer program that would allow me to do that (anyone know?)

Thanks again for your help

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jonathan83 said:
I haven't signed any type of contract. The only thing I signed was to give permission for that recruiter to get my transcript from my university so he could talk to the Officer recruiter, etc.

Thanks for all the information so far. Does anyone have information on the Officer side of cryptology and what exactly they do?

After reading all about cryptology on navy.com, it says you will go to the DLI and learn a new language. If that's not what this is about then I'm not sure if that's what I want to do or not. I really would like to go to DLI. Hopefully, there is an officer program that would allow me to do that (anyone know?)

Sorry, I was mixing up Intel and Crypto. It would make sense for Crypto guys t go through DLI...although looking around there aren't many...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enlisted recruiter is BS'ing you. One of the Department Heads in my squadron was a recruiter and said that even though enlisted recruiters were required to send college types like you to him, he would walk in on an unannounced visit and see them pitching a song and dance to college guys. He said he chewed many an a#$ but they still did it. GO TO AN OFFICER RECRUITER AND DO NOT RELY ON THE ENLISTED RECRUITER TO DO IT FOR YOU, I cannot emphasize that enough.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jonathan83 said:

Look up what the National Security Agency does, they basically work for them. That is probably the best way to find out what they deal with. That and they lead and manage the enlisted crypies, they do not do the meat of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.