• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crushing Contacts: The Contact Profile Method

RoarkJr.

Though the fat lady hath not yet sung for me in Primary, I thought I'd dump my Contact AAR now while it's fresh. I'm a Marine SNA with no prior flight time other than NIFE, but at this point I've put in about 150 hours into VR sims. Mostly Flite Advantage T-6B between my main study partner and I, and some Cessna for NIFE prep. I was fortunate to have an absolute stud for a study partner and some great gouge on VR stuff and study habits from this site. I did well in contacts, and though I don't know my multiplier or NSS (they stopped letting us get the post-aero "peek"), I got a lot 5's on most flights and sims and I proficiency advanced in aero.

I graduated NIFE in November 2020 and didn't start Primary ground school until March, so we had quite a bit of time. My buddy introduced me to the Contact Profile Method and we got started immediately. The CPM is just what it sounds like: Study so that you are slowly working up to being able to fly an entire contact profile, as pretty much every flight in contacts is the same. Brief, ADB, Gear, Preflight, Ground Ops (checklists/taxi), Takeoff, Transition to high work, High work, Transition to low work, Low work, Course rules back, with PEL and PEL/P thrown in after the first block. So, what does the CPM look like in practice? For me it was VR sims. Rarely chair flew, no flash cards or copious notes. Just about two to four 3 hour sessions in the sim running through flights for about 3 months.

The first thing was getting the Hollywood Script down to the point where we could just go off the quadfold. While you don't want to wait to look at other stuff until you can go quadfold only, you do want to get there quickly and get your script down perfectly. Make sure your study partner knows to correct you if anything you say is off script or if you do anything out of order or not as described. You should look at anything less than verbatim as unacceptable. Completely read every description. The initial contact sims are for pretty much one thing: Seeing how verbatim and efficient your script is. Static and Avenger sims are decent, but we used my VR sim with the Hollywood Script pinned in the VR world (which eventually became quadfold) to run it until ground school when we could go UTD/OFT.

As we worked our way through the script we would initially just taxi to a runway, takeoff and fly reverse course rules so we could get a view of how every ground checkpoint looked. I have over 100 gigs of custom imagery data so everything looks pretty much spot on. After that we threw in taxi rules for each parking area and runway, as well as specific departure procedures for the MOA's including transition layers, etc. At this point you should roughly be at quadfold only, and can take off and make it to your MOA block properly. Know every step of the comm plan, for both MOA's and Pelican/Wahoo, which is a lot. We didn't have this down prior to ground school but did our best. If you're VFR, just go area common after canceling. If you're MOA put approach on VHF once switched by departure, then immediately put the appropriate VFR area common in UHF. You'll go MOA common over (Pcola Approach (SMOA) or Jax (NMOA)) once cleared to your block if they tell you "frequency change approved." I mostly flew South so, as always, double check FWOP.

At this point we added in the pattern. We didn't have our transition from the MOA (or Pelican/Wahoo) to low work down perfectly, but we ran through ABCDont until we that got finer tuned with on-wing input and more FWOP reading (use SAGDONT for VT-3). The VT-6 modified downwind is a good start for getting on OLF initial. We would run the pattern then fly course rules back to NSE. We were never perfect, again, but you should be able to get the gross motor movements and procedures down and then fill in the finer details as you get more into the FWOP/FTI. You should be constantly trimming and trying to fly with 3 fingers. After that we added high work and PELs toward the end. These are pretty easy so add these in as soon as you can. EP's were a constant, at first just to get through CAMI's and actions, then later we would use them to simulate how the check ride would go, which generally seems to be: a pattern PEL thrown into low work and an EP to PEL from course rules back.

The VR sims are a game changer because you can actually see everything instead of imagining everything with your eyes closed in a chair. I can "walk" from the paraloft to the plane, "climb up" and do the before exterior inspection, "get down" and do exterior inspection, get in the plane and do all checklists while in VR. Taxi from any spot to any run-up and runway, see all visual checkpoints, use the TSD to get MOA orientation, work on trimming the plane, scan, and ops checks. I can customize weather and program failures, change frequencies on the UFCP, use the HUD for aero (meh). The list goes on. The real money to be made on them, however, is prior to ground school. We had a three month head start so by the time we started ground school we had a rough but full contact profile down, but we could pick up on all the nuances while everyone else was still learning the pattern etc. The tests will be easy for you and you'll be able to study other things. By the time ground school starts you'll want to be getting in UTD's and OFT's as much as possible, and I really only used VR if those weren't available, or to quickly fly my profile the night prior to a flight. A quick note on avenger sims, they're okay but not as good as flite advantage because you can't pin checklists, can't walk around, can't really trim etc., but they're still decent.

The key is to get started early. I had a sim instructor write in my grade sheet that my checklists were to the level of a seasoned T-6 pilot. That isn't because I'm amazing...it's reps, period. And it's just a checklist. Any stud can get to that point. And the best part is that if you start early you can chill during contacts, hit the FWOP and NATOPS to clean up your profile here and there, focus on getting your systems briefs and EP's down etc. (study those together). I rarely had to study in contacts unless it was FWOP for gnitty gritty (only CHADS check/solo in the SOUTH), or EP/Systems briefs, or just hanging out walking through flights with people.

Use your voice recorder on your phone for briefs and listen to them in the car. I recorded my buddies doing full sim and/or chair flown flights, NATOPS and systems briefs etc., then would listen to them on way to Whiting so they were fresh in my mind. For systems, know the EP's associated because that's where most of the spicy brief questions come. Sound confident. Be careful with the gouge as there are wrong numbers and sometimes too much info. Stick primarily to NATOPS. Complete EP/Limits sheets often so you're not scrambling prior to your check. NATOPS brief should be stone cold before leaving for off-wing flights in second block.

Aero boils down to this...gouge up a kneeboard card and send it. Always HICK so you don't forget on your check. Recommend flying SMOA/Wahoo as North is boring and you can use survey lines and beach for orientation. No one is ever at Barin and if Summerdale is closed that's the only place you can go. Also there's only one course rules and all the procedures are standard. VT-6 probably won't let you check/solo there but VT-3 was cool with it.

To sum up, first ask yourself how much you want to be prepared. If the answer is "to the maximum extent possible" get started immediately after NIFE. Use VR sims, no excuse to not know what course rules checkpoints look like prior to first flight. I would say that Hammer10k's advice was spot on, know everything for your first flight like it's your solo. You will eventually sign for the plane, so prep for that moment. Ignore anyone who says "my buddy said just go in knowing only Limits and Ep's." Find a motivated partner who is excited to push and crush.

No matter how much you prep the first few blocks will be helmet fire and you'll do dumb shit. Don't sweat it. Also, this is all "YMMV", plenty of people crush doing other things. This is what I did. If you have any specific questions on studying, the VR sim setup etc., shoot me a message. Happy to pay it forward.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was afraid this was another thread about SWO training and ship handling.

Nice summary. There are a few different ways that different people learn and it sounds like you nailed yours.

The "don't sweat the helmet fire" thing is real. Half of it is personality, some folks make good aviators despite having this trait pretty strongly and their coping mechanisms come down to (drumroll) one preparation one and two learning to relax in the airplane. Or maybe one over preparation, which isn't a bad thing as long as you're not intruding on healthy sleep, diet, exercise. Some guys' state of mind in primary is like they're hitting the stick shaker almost constantly, so there's a fine line there. Some have an enviable capacity to absorb and apply copious amounts of information, but if you're a mere mortal like the rest of us then you need to find out what study methods work best for you.

I used to tell my students on their checkrides that if they messed something up in the plane then I kind of expected it to happen (within reasonable limits, of course). Self-induced or external didn't make a huge difference, but I wanted to see them take initiative and fix it and most importantly not beat themselves up about it. Nobody wants to fly with Chris Farley in their cockpit or on their wing ("idiot, idiot, stupid"). A long time ago, my sister and I were driving on the freeway when she let two wheels slip off the pavement. It was about a 4-6" drop-off, right next to the painted line, to some rough gravel. The gubmint hadn't finished fixing that stretch of road but that's beside the point. She let the vehicle slow down and then smoothly steered it back onto the roadway, no drama, no freaking out and rolling the thing (Mom's minivan...). I told her I now felt pretty good for lending her my car next month while I went off to OCS. Back to flight school, that's an important thing I'd look for in my student naval aviators if I were going to let them fly the airplane by themselves.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
Though the fat lady hath not yet sung for me in Primary, I thought I'd dump my Contact AAR now while it's fresh. I'm a Marine SNA with no prior flight time other than NIFE, but at this point I've put in about 150 hours into VR sims. Mostly Flite Advantage T-6B between my main study partner and I, and some Cessna for NIFE prep. I was fortunate to have an absolute stud for a study partner and some great gouge on VR stuff and study habits from this site. I did well in contacts, and though I don't know my multiplier or NSS (they stopped letting us get the post-aero "peek"), I got a lot 5's on most flights and sims and I proficiency advanced in aero.

I graduated NIFE in November 2020 and didn't start Primary ground school until March, so we had quite a bit of time. My buddy introduced me to the Contact Profile Method and we got started immediately. The CPM is just what it sounds like: Study so that you are slowly working up to being able to fly an entire contact profile, as pretty much every flight in contacts is the same. Brief, ADB, Gear, Preflight, Ground Ops (checklists/taxi), Takeoff, Transition to high work, High work, Transition to low work, Low work, Course rules back, with PEL and PEL/P thrown in after the first block. So, what does the CPM look like in practice? For me it was VR sims. Rarely chair flew, no flash cards or copious notes. Just about two to four 3 hour sessions in the sim running through flights for about 3 months.

The first thing was getting the Hollywood Script down to the point where we could just go off the quadfold. While you don't want to wait to look at other stuff until you can go quadfold only, you do want to get there quickly and get your script down perfectly. Make sure your study partner knows to correct you if anything you say is off script or if you do anything out of order or not as described. You should look at anything less than verbatim as unacceptable. Completely read every description. The initial contact sims are for pretty much one thing: Seeing how verbatim and efficient your script is. Static and Avenger sims are decent, but we used my VR sim with the Hollywood Script pinned in the VR world (which eventually became quadfold) to run it until ground school when we could go UTD/OFT.

As we worked our way through the script we would initially just taxi to a runway, takeoff and fly reverse course rules so we could get a view of how every ground checkpoint looked. I have over 100 gigs of custom imagery data so everything looks pretty much spot on. After that we threw in taxi rules for each parking area and runway, as well as specific departure procedures for the MOA's including transition layers, etc. At this point you should roughly be at quadfold only, and can take off and make it to your MOA block properly. Know every step of the comm plan, for both MOA's and Pelican/Wahoo, which is a lot. We didn't have this down prior to ground school but did our best. If you're VFR, just go area common after canceling. If you're MOA put approach on VHF once switched by departure, then immediately put the appropriate VFR area common in UHF. You'll go MOA common over (Pcola Approach (SMOA) or Jax (NMOA)) once cleared to your block if they tell you "frequency change approved." I mostly flew South so, as always, double check FWOP.

At this point we added in the pattern. We didn't have our transition from the MOA (or Pelican/Wahoo) to low work down perfectly, but we ran through ABCDont until we that got finer tuned with on-wing input and more FWOP reading (use SAGDONT for VT-3). The VT-6 modified downwind is a good start for getting on OLF initial. We would run the pattern then fly course rules back to NSE. We were never perfect, again, but you should be able to get the gross motor movements and procedures down and then fill in the finer details as you get more into the FWOP/FTI. You should be constantly trimming and trying to fly with 3 fingers. After that we added high work and PELs toward the end. These are pretty easy so add these in as soon as you can. EP's were a constant, at first just to get through CAMI's and actions, then later we would use them to simulate how the check ride would go, which generally seems to be: a pattern PEL thrown into low work and an EP to PEL from course rules back.

The VR sims are a game changer because you can actually see everything instead of imagining everything with your eyes closed in a chair. I can "walk" from the paraloft to the plane, "climb up" and do the before exterior inspection, "get down" and do exterior inspection, get in the plane and do all checklists while in VR. Taxi from any spot to any run-up and runway, see all visual checkpoints, use the TSD to get MOA orientation, work on trimming the plane, scan, and ops checks. I can customize weather and program failures, change frequencies on the UFCP, use the HUD for aero (meh). The list goes on. The real money to be made on them, however, is prior to ground school. We had a three month head start so by the time we started ground school we had a rough but full contact profile down, but we could pick up on all the nuances while everyone else was still learning the pattern etc. The tests will be easy for you and you'll be able to study other things. By the time ground school starts you'll want to be getting in UTD's and OFT's as much as possible, and I really only used VR if those weren't available, or to quickly fly my profile the night prior to a flight. A quick note on avenger sims, they're okay but not as good as flite advantage because you can't pin checklists, can't walk around, can't really trim etc., but they're still decent.

The key is to get started early. I had a sim instructor write in my grade sheet that my checklists were to the level of a seasoned T-6 pilot. That isn't because I'm amazing...it's reps, period. And it's just a checklist. Any stud can get to that point. And the best part is that if you start early you can chill during contacts, hit the FWOP and NATOPS to clean up your profile here and there, focus on getting your systems briefs and EP's down etc. (study those together). I rarely had to study in contacts unless it was FWOP for gnitty gritty (only CHADS check/solo in the SOUTH), or EP/Systems briefs, or just hanging out walking through flights with people.

Use your voice recorder on your phone for briefs and listen to them in the car. I recorded my buddies doing full sim and/or chair flown flights, NATOPS and systems briefs etc., then would listen to them on way to Whiting so they were fresh in my mind. For systems, know the EP's associated because that's where most of the spicy brief questions come. Sound confident. Be careful with the gouge as there are wrong numbers and sometimes too much info. Stick primarily to NATOPS. Complete EP/Limits sheets often so you're not scrambling prior to your check. NATOPS brief should be stone cold before leaving for off-wing flights in second block.

Aero boils down to this...gouge up a kneeboard card and send it. Always HICK so you don't forget on your check. Recommend flying SMOA/Wahoo as North is boring and you can use survey lines and beach for orientation. No one is ever at Barin and if Summerdale is closed that's the only place you can go. Also there's only one course rules and all the procedures are standard. VT-6 probably won't let you check/solo there but VT-3 was cool with it.

To sum up, first ask yourself how much you want to be prepared. If the answer is "to the maximum extent possible" get started immediately after NIFE. Use VR sims, no excuse to not know what course rules checkpoints look like prior to first flight. I would say that Hammer10k's advice was spot on, know everything for your first flight like it's your solo. You will eventually sign for the plane, so prep for that moment. Ignore anyone who says "my buddy said just go in knowing only Limits and Ep's." Find a motivated partner who is excited to push and crush.

No matter how much you prep the first few blocks will be helmet fire and you'll do dumb shit. Don't sweat it. Also, this is all "YMMV", plenty of people crush doing other things. This is what I did. If you have any specific questions on studying, the VR sim setup etc., shoot me a message. Happy to pay it forward.
I’ll be going through NIFE this time next year, also a Marine SNA (rah), anyways. I have no prior flight experience either and will be starting TBS here in a few weeks. As a prior grunt I have a decent handling of infantry operations, I’m sure I’ll learn/relearn a ton at TBS. However, my bigger concern at this point is where do I even begin to study for flight school? I’m trying to get ahead of the game and start studying what little I can now, and at the end of TBS as I don’t assume I’ll have much time to study while going through TBS itself. Any help on where to start or what to start with would be greatly helpful.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As another former VT-3 flight instructor I just want to foot stomp what a great post this is by @RoarkJr.

Absolutely the level of prep you should have if you want to gun for jets, and crush the syllabus. I wish I’d had more studs this well prepared, it frees up time to concentrate on the actual flying when the admin work is complete.

That being said, don’t overdo it. You are still in the best time of your career to get paid to hang out on the beach and drink, take advantage of that. Your soul will get crushed more along the line, with a corresponding decrease in free time.

It’s a fine balance, everyone is different.

Also, when you get issued your gear, actually practice going from flight suit to fully ready to walk to the plane. Nothing worse than standing around waiting for your stud to put their shit on.

Pickle

RoarkJr.

I’ll be going through NIFE this time next year, also a Marine SNA (rah), anyways. I have no prior flight experience either and will be starting TBS here in a few weeks. As a prior grunt I have a decent handling of infantry operations, I’m sure I’ll learn/relearn a ton at TBS. However, my bigger concern at this point is where do I even begin to study for flight school? I’m trying to get ahead of the game and start studying what little I can now, and at the end of TBS as I don’t assume I’ll have much time to study while going through TBS itself. Any help on where to start or what to start with would be greatly helpful.
I don't remember who said it here, but it was something like "desire for professional knowledge should be borderline obsessive." I'd offer there's two ways you can go about it: General and practical. General stuff is just anything aviation and Marine aviation related. I like books, podcasts, Youtube videos, on anything ranging from biographies and aviation history to Aviation Safety Institute videos and podcasts. Find some mentors too. I've read some books I like and hit up the authors, great way to stay connected to the past and get good advice. Try to understand where we're at and where we're going as an organization. Obviously most of that is outside our bandwidth as Lt's, but I'd argue that dabbling in that stuff helps with developing a sense of ownership, which really begins at TBS. Not ownership in the sense that you're running the show...more so that professional knowledge will inspire you to constantly learn, and be enthusiastic and confident in your prep and decision making.

For practical, you could start learning some of the concepts you'll be expected to know in NIFE academics. Make sure you know how rudder pedals and trim works (some people go into their first NIFE flight not really getting that, wouldn't recommend). Play games so you have a deeper intuitive sense of stick/throttle and airspeed/altitude relationships...you're pretty far out so don't stress too much about studying for a specific exam or whatever.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, when you get issued your gear, actually practice going from flight suit to fully ready to walk to the plane.

Also don't forget to take off your gear and leave it in the plane on an Out-in-In. Sitting around in the FBO with your vest on isn't optimal. Not that that has happened. At KMEI. Yesterday.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Also, when you get issued your gear, actually practice going from flight suit to fully ready to walk to the plane. Nothing worse than standing around waiting for your stud to put their shit on.

Is this a joke or were you really this impatient? Most have no idea how to really don everything and had it fitted maybe once before FAM-0 by the riggers and then put into a locker. I'd rather show them the right way on FAM-0 then have the blind (Contact SNA) leading the deaf and dumb (pre-FAM-0 SNA).

BT BT

@Highlander51 Wait until at least you're in the pool at TW-5 or 4 before cracking any pubs. There's a lot of information in the VT syllabus that has to be learned in a short time period, but part of flight school is figuring out how to study and retain flying information in addition to learning the actual material. Learning T-6 limits and EPs while you're flunking the Aero test at Schools Command isn't going to suit you well. The syllabus is laid out fairly well for people to succeed if they apply themselves. Focus on the closest obstacle, keep an eye on the horizon for oncoming stuff, don't fuck over any of your buddies, make friends with the long-haircut Navy and USCG kids in your group, study in groups, and give a shit.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The slow putting on your flight gear thing can be aggravating but I'd show my own onwings—and just as easily any student—the weird wiggle thing that helped get you into that airsave vest faster and how to not have the straps, that are crossed behind your back in an X, twisted. Having them twisted makes you sore as shit after a flight and nobody deserves that misery.

I'd occasionally show a stud on their safe for solo checkride. There are a few techniques to getting in and out of your gear quickly and doing it right every time. If the kid was obviously struggling with their equipment because they're trying to hurry in order to please me, the last thing I want is for them to be wearing it in a way that distracts them or for them to now be in a state of mind that leads to them getting flustered. Sure, they're an officer and a future naval aviator so they should know how to get dressed- and they should harden up if one or two little things aren't going perfectly. At the same time I didn't want them to have that one more distraction going on, least of all when I'm giving a checkride. So a quick "let me show you an easy trick to fix what you're trying to do there" sometimes went a long way. I actually want to sign them off to solo, not give them a down. Wanna know a little secret why? Because I fuckin hate paperwork.

But alas, flight students, I'm retired. :D

PMPT

good for you, OP. I went through before VR was widely available at an affordable price point so I didn't to have bother with all that jazz, but I chair flew a ton, studied NATOPS constantly, and chair flew all the damn time. I was also a complete prostitute for the sims.

for the guys and gals that want to come out #1, OP's method is sound. Chairflying and visualizing the whole damn hop from before exterior inspection checklist to shutdown checklist is pretty much what you want to do daily. Does that sound excessive? Maybe. but you're going to repeat the admin basics hundreds of times regardless of what platform you end up in and you'll still chair fly things in the FRS and even later. So why not get in the habit now? Much of this whole venture is about just getting a huge quantity of reps and experience in. Reps at home at 1G and 0KIAS are free.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Is this a joke or were you really this impatient? Most have no idea how to really don everything and had it fitted maybe once before FAM-0 by the riggers and then put into a locker. I'd rather show them the right way on FAM-0 then have the blind (Contact SNA) leading the deaf and dumb (pre-FAM-0 SNA).
I’m talking about once you’ve been through FAM-0 and your on-wing taught you how to wear your shit.
And, yes, I’m super impatient…ask my on-wings.

SlickAg

pilot
Also don't forget to take off your gear and leave it in the plane on an Out-in-In. Sitting around in the FBO with your vest on isn't optimal. Not that that has happened. At KMEI. Yesterday.
Why not? I do it all the time if it’s just a gas and go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why not? I do it all the time if it’s just a gas and go.

That's not what this was. It was a debrief, brief, eat, file, and go. And the IP was gear-nekid.

But really, I'm sure it was just an eager stud trying to catch up with the IP after what sounded like a busy event and he didn't slink out of his gear. Not a big deal, but it was still amusing.

SlickAg

pilot
That's not what this was. It was a debrief, brief, eat, file, and go. And the IP was gear-nekid.

But really, I'm sure it was just an eager stud trying to catch up with the IP after what sounded like a busy event and he didn't slink out of his gear. Not a big deal, but it was still amusing.
Got it. I’d say 99% of the time I wear my gear inside; the only time I leave it in the jet is if I’m done for the day during weekend ops or it’s at the CCX destination.