• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

crunches question

ocs_hopeful

I have got good #'s on my pull ups and run time, but just can't seem to get over 80 crunches. Anyone got any pointers?

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
I was having a little trouble too, but the best way to do them is jsut do 'em, do 'em, and do 'em some more. Seriously. Just do 100 in the morning. Even if you can only get to 80, rest a few seconds, pump out a few more, rest, pump, rest, pump until you get to 100. And do 100 at night. You'll be there in no time, least I was. Once you're comfortably at 100, don't stop, and continue to increase your limit.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
With the crunches, its all about repetition. Keep doing them, and your numbers will rise. the difference between 80 and 100 is a hole that you'll see fill up fast.

super hornet

I'm also training for the pft and the Armstrong training method says you can do it 1 of 3 ways. The first is the endurance. Do 100 crunches without keeping track of time. After you do 100, rest a few minutes and repeat. Then do 2 more maximum effort sets and eventually build up to 3 sets of 100. The 2nd method is the speed set which is the one I use. Do 30 crunches as fast as you can. Rest 1 minute between sets and repeat. You should do about 5 or 6 sets. The third way is with an incline board. Basically get on the board and do crunches until you can't anymore, then rest 1 minute and repeat. Do 3 to 4 sets in this manner.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The way you are made to perform them at OCS they are practically full sit-ups. You can't lift your fore arms off you stomach at all and your hands must be placed on your triceps or in your armpits. If you do them correctly, you'll find they are very much like a full sit-up.

They don't let poor form slide at OCS and they will send integrity violators who bull$hit numbers on the PFT home.

zuggerat

do 1 minute of straight crunches... record ur score.. rest for like 30 seconds... then do 30 seconds of straight crunches... record ur score... rest for like 40 seconds... then do 15 seconds of straight crunches... record ur score... ive been doing this for like a month now i can do about 110 in 1:30-:45 and im doing about 250-300 crunches a day, plus ive upped my times to 2 minute drills then 1 minute drills then 30 seconds. its intense but the only thing that'll get u to ur goal is hard work and lots o pain

livefast

Try this: Go to a pull-up bar, jump up like you're going to do a pull-up, and let your body do a dead-hang. Then keep your arms locked and bring your knees up as high as you can toward your elbows. Start with 10 reps, then 9 reps, then 8 reps...all the way down to 1 rep. Rest 30 seconds between sets. Do this twice a week. You WILL feel amazing results, your abs will pop, and you'll get 90+ situps within a couple of weeks.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
My .02 on the crunches,

All about technique (IMO). Assuming you have solid abs (not SOLID like Chuck Norris), I don't think theres any reason anyone should get lower than 90.

Just get your technique down, don't have any wasted motion, have as little movement as possible. One of my bros was doing 75-78 and was telling me "oh it feels better when I have my ass farther back from my feet." He fixed his technique and all that and in 2 days pounded out the 100.

Work the technique.

KBayDog

A little PFT (not training) technique I use:

I have found that training slowly and methodically works well, and increases overall fitness, but when it comes to the actual PFT, faster is better. Taking breaks after sets of ten or twenty, trying to do 50 a minute, etc. just does not work for me.

In other words, from the word "go," I "sprint" and do as many crunches as possible, as quickly as possible. This gets the bulk of them out of the way before I need or want a break. Quite often, I have completed between 80 and 100 by the end of the first minute, which leaves me plenty of time to knock out the last few crunches at my leisure.

Is it uncomfortable? Sometimes. Do those two minutes suck? Sure. However, remember that these are PFTs, not training. As long as you perform the events correctly (use proper form), the only thing that matters in the end is the score. The score "does not care" whether you did all the crunches in a row, took a break after each set of ten, did 50 and 50, etc.

The moral of the story? Train hard, but find your own technique for taking the actual PFT.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
In other words, from the word "go," I "sprint" and do as many crunches as possible, as quickly as possible. This gets the bulk of them out of the way before I need or want a break. Quite often, I have completed between 80 and 100 by the end of the first minute, which leaves me plenty of time to knock out the last few crunches at my leisure.

Thats what I do, and if you do it that way you your going to be hitting your back on the deck and it'll knock the air out of ya a little (atleast when I do it).

Don't try and land soft when you are going back otherwise you are just wasting strength and time.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Mind the numbers

Keep in mind when training that 1 extra crunch is worth 10 seconds on the run, and 1 extra pullup is worth almost a minute. Assuming you can get the min requirements, give yourself the best shot at a good score.

123Fly

When you practice crunches do you lock your feet underneath something? When I put my feet underneath something in the gym and their is a little room for them to come up I find myself pulling up with my legs more than my abs. However, when do my PFT and someone sits on my feet it is working a different area as my feet are flat on the floor. How do you guys practice without asking someone for help?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
123Fly said:
When you practice crunches do you lock your feet underneath something? When I put my feet underneath something in the gym and their is a little room for them to come up I find myself pulling up with my legs more than my abs. However, when do my PFT and someone sits on my feet it is working a different area as my feet are flat on the floor. How do you guys practice without asking someone for help?

try doing your crunches with your toes jammed hard into a wall. If you push hard enough on the wall it will keep your feet from lifting off of the ground. The only bad thing is that it is harder to do because you are constantly working your quads to push on the wall. And if you push too hard you will move your body back too far. But since they are harder to do, when you have someone sit on your feet you will get a lot more. It leaves your abs working in the same way, just kills your legs. I think if you can get 70 or so like this, you can easily get 100 with someone holding. At least it worked for me. Things are different for different people, but its worth a try.

phattygixxer

I agree with the consensus- do'em every day, morning and night.... However, I must add that form is key, at least with Marine crunches, I was stuck at 80 FOREVER then did my first PFT and learned I was lifting my lower back and doing sit-ups not Marine crunches... I adjusted to the most efficient form and instant 100 crunches PFT. What I do is roll my shoulders forward as much as I can and try to lift my torso as little as I can. Since I got that advice I have not got less than 100 on the PFT.