• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cruise opportunities in the Reserves

dephyler

Contributor
I've done some additional poking around the site but haven't quite found what I was looking for. I did find this.

As a Reserve Intel Officer, does the opportunity exist to go on a cruise? I'd really like to get to sea at least once in my USNR career. Since I'd be skipping the traditional ready room baptism, would my choices be limited to what type of assignment I could get? I'd love to be on a carrier, but I haven't found anything specific about intel types on board a carrier outside of the ready room. Operations planning for a squad or carrier group?

In my interviews, a website for available opportunities came up, but very briefly. I'm assuming that it's like a job posting board with min requirements, etc. Can anyone clarify that for me?

I do realize that I'm way ahead of myself (still no comm docs), but I'd like to know so that I can get some bearings.

Nose

pilot
Call these guys:

- PERS-473: Intelligence Officer Assignment & Placement Branch.
Comm: (901) 874-3993; Fax: xxx-2744.

Ask for the "JO Detailer" and tell them what you are interested in. They may tell you to pack sand, but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, you can try calling the CAG Staff Intel Officers and see if you can get one of them to get their CAG to ask for you. Do a google for "CVW" and you should be able to find staff phone numbers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The most basic advice I can give you is to wait until you get into your first unit and work within the chain of command there, if that is feasible. If I remember correctly, it takes about a year for you to get through the reserve intel training before you even get to your unit.

If your gaining unit does not seem to care or want to send you to sea, and some might be that way, then I might call the detailer at that point. Another way to work it is through who you know, but you might not know that many people as a reserve Intel O (but some of you chain might, which is why I advise go through them first).

Going to sea might be a bit harder than you think, most of the bodies they need go to Afghanistan, Iraq or some other locale in the Mid-East (there are several 'garden spots' to choose from). Going to sea does not seem like a high priority for reservists nowadays. But rest assured you will be mobilized, Intel O's and IS's have some of the highest mobilization rates in the Navy Reserve right now. I hope you like sand.......:D

P.S. The best one to ask for advice is FlyinSpy, he is a Reserve DCO on the site here. I have not seen him in a little while but he is usually pretty active and you might want to drop him a PM.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
P.S. The best one to ask for advice is FlyinSpy, he is a Reserve DCO on the site here. I have not seen him in a little while but he is usually pretty active and you might want to drop him a PM.

Good advice but he's deployed so no clue what his connectivity is.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ahh, I hadn't seen him a while so I figured as much.

Either way, I would advise the OP to still contact FlyinSpy, he is probably the best resource for him.

Thanks for the update on Flyin!

dephyler

Contributor
Thanks guys. I was aware about the deployment rate for Intel DCOs. I was lucky enough to get my officer endorsements from my future unit CO and he happened to mention in the interview that 95% of the unit had gone to Iraq already, some had gone twice.

I'll PM FlyinSpy too, even though he's overseas.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: After googling, I found this slightly amusing: http://www.sortiecity.com/sortie/hsc84site/

I think I saw something about hsc-84 on this site, but I'll search more. They look like supply and/or rescue?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Let's just say connectivity can be challenging. The NIPR here in Afghanistan blocks any blogs/forums (including "job related" ones like this...), so the backup is the Hadjinet I have in my hut. But that can get kind of sketchy, so I haven't been a frequent visitor of late. As a sidenote, I'm still trying to recall where in the "Accelerate Your Life" commercials they had the snow squeegeeing through the toes of your shower shoes as you walk to the john, but I'm still looking....

The advice given here so far is spot-on. Flash was absolutely right to allow time to get spun-up in the BRIT (schoolhouse) program and get your 9600 NOBC, which says you are deployable. I am a poster child for what happens when you deploy to a combat zone without such a qual (and only 3 drill weekends total in the Navy....); let's just say you end up with some high level attention. Once you get through that, boring though it may be, you can start looking for active duty/mobilization opportunities.

Nose was right as well in that for better or for worse, it is an "eat what you kill" world - the opportunities are out there, but you have to hunt to find them. Contacting the CAG Spies is a good approach, and in fact is what a good DIRCOM pal of mine did - he's gone on cruise twice so far, and is going out again later this spring. Another pal did a cruise as the DESRON N2 with an ESG. Once you get on board a unit, you can start pulsing the different channels for opportunities. And was mentioned, they are out there - both involuntary and voluntary. And sometimes a little of both - I was in Iraq for the summer of 06, and am now in Afghanistan for my winter vacation...

BTW, anyone interested in helping me start a Bagram Heli-Skiing operation? There is some righteous powder within 10 miles of the field - this place could be the next Chugach Powder Guides. All I need to figure out is how to attach a mine-clearing plow to the front of my powder boards.... ;-)

-Milhouse

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
BTW, anyone interested in helping me start a Bagram Heli-Skiing operation? There is some righteous powder within 10 miles of the field - this place could be the next Chugach Powder Guides. All I need to figure out is how to attach a mine-clearing plow to the front of my powder boards.... ;-)

-Milhouse

-I'm down. :idea_125: How much powder do you typically get in an average snowstorm?