• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crop dusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuntgriz

You mentioned Destin, I was wondering if that is where you did your IFS. Not sure if I would rather have a rich punk out of Destin or an illiterate crop-dustin' barnstormer from Milton flyin with me.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
You mentioned Destin, I was wondering if that is where you did your IFS. Not sure if I would rather have a rich punk out of Destin or an illiterate crop-dustin' barnstormer from Milton flyin with me.

Because those are the only people that instruct at either location, right? :sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's easy ... I don't care where he lives. But I'd go with the rich, illiterate, crop-dustin', barnstormin' punk.

And then I'd like to meet his sister ...

Ben_Dover

What's up with the crop dusting comment Stuntgriz? You ever seen those guys fly before? If you had, you'd understand they are some of the best pilots out there. I was surprised as hell a few years back when I was sitting back seat in a super hornet and while we were coming in to land, there was a crop duster to our left doing his thing. The pilot said something along the lines of "holy sh!t, those guys are crazy a$$ holes. You have to have some real balls of steel to want to fly one of those things." I found his comment a bit odd because I grew up in farm country and crop dusters never seemed all that great to me. After asking around the squadron though, the majority of the studs agreed with my pilot; crop duster pilots are sh!t hot and dangerous as hell.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
After asking around the squadron though, the majority of the studs agreed with my pilot; crop duster pilots are sh!t hot and dangerous as hell.

Not that I don't believe you, but I'm still confused as to what makes them such good / crazy pilots.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that I don't believe you, but I'm still confused as to what makes them such good / crazy pilots.
When you see them doing wingovers at 150 feet AGL to change direction; you'll understand.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'll go with this...

Duster pilots spend alot of time in heavily laden aircraft, low to the ground, going fast. (For them) Anyone who does that alot...and lives to teach/talk...has some credibility in my book.

Of course this would mean that helo guys are good pilots too...maybe I should rethink that....;) I keed, I keed...:D

Stuntgriz

What's up with the crop dusting comment Stuntgriz?

Try focusing on illiteracy, maybe that will make everything clear. Yeah, yeah, crop-dusters can fly a plane, but can they grade a test? Would he use adverse yaw in a sentence, such as "Adverse, yaw thought I were dumb," and thinks VORTAC is the '88 Jimmy Motor he 'suped up his old station wagon with. Comprehensive flight knowledge is better for my future schooling than scarin' the poop out of "dat der herd of cows over yonder". Where were we, right....TheBubba, was there a school availabe in ValP or Destin?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
e6bflyer said:
This ranks up there as one of the stupidest arguments on this board in a while. Have we offended a crop duster somewhere? All this thread needs now is Joboy to put his 2 cents in to be complete.

Incidently, I was in Albequerque at Base Ops one day and in flew a souped up cropduster, complete with turboprop engine. It was hella big, not really sure what kind it was. Anyway, out steps a guy in a military flight suit, so being curious, my homies and I go and ask this guy what he is doing. He has a state department patch where a squadron patch would go, and his name on his name patch along with the word "Policia". He says that we are welcome to check out the plane, and that he is in the "Ag business". I ask about the state dept. patch and he just grins and says "that's right, I am in the Ag business for the state department". I never got the official answer as to what the state department flies around in cropdusters for, but I have a couple of rumors/guesses. Anyway, just thought that was interesting.

actually, I just had a question this time.:D If I have my PPL, that means I don't have to go through IFS right?

MasterBates

I'll go with this...

Duster pilots spend alot of time in heavily laden aircraft, low to the ground, going fast. (For them) Anyone who does that alot...and lives to teach/talk...has some credibility in my book.

Of course this would mean that helo guys are good pilots too...maybe I should rethink that....;) I keed, I keed...:D

Piss off :D

/r

The Ex-Helicopter Crop Duster
(yes, in Mass, they dust with helos)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Try focusing on illiteracy, maybe that will make everything clear. Yeah, yeah, crop-dusters can fly a plane, but can they grade a test? Would he use adverse yaw in a sentence, such as "Adverse, yaw thought I were dumb," and thinks VORTAC is the '88 Jimmy Motor he 'suped up his old station wagon with. Comprehensive flight knowledge is better for my future schooling than scarin' the poop out of "dat der herd of cows over yonder". Where were we, right....TheBubba, was there a school availabe in ValP or Destin?

I did IFS in Destin. Now for a bit of lernin'

Can crop dusters grade a test... For your information, yes they can. The guy who gave me my first flight at the controls of an airplane was a crop duster. Great pilot, great guy... CFI among other things.

Teaching someone to fly ain't all about grading tests. Its about teaching the practical application and finer points of handling the machine, whether you're the NFO or the pilot.

And if you do IFS in Destin, I hope you get the instructor I had. You'll find that the chain smoking, motorcycle riding "redneck" at the school is one of the best instructors there. And yes, he can grade a test.

As a side note, just how many hours do you have?

Stuntgriz

UInavy said:
Pretty impressive for someone who lists their interests as 'ridin, snowboardin and hittin the wake in addition to chillin.'

Updated interests: long walks on the beach, crop dustin', floatin' down blackwater with a 40....oh, and readin', too

Status
Not open for further replies.