• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Course Comparison:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valion310

Hola, Those of you who have Aerospace Tech/Aviation Tech degree's or expeience out there, how are the API courses stacking up against what you learned in your degree? I know the fire hose is one thing totally by itself, but are you finding the course work pretty easy? And how are the grades stacking up against those without related academic backgrounds? I guess weather, aero, engines, etc is the same across the board whether it's civilian or military... Any good info would be great!

-Tally 2 .. Fox 3 -- Good kill! Good kill!-

Valion310 out-

Edited by - Valion310 on 08/04/2002 22:51:12

Edited by - Valion310 on 08/04/2002 22:56:14

Rainman

pilot
in my opionion, it's not that the coursework is hard (if you already have the background), but that rarely means you'll ace the tests. . the difference between getting 90s and 100s isn't the amount you know about a subject from what I saw. You could talk about a weather topic, for example, in essay format or to an FAA examiner in great detail and still screw up a multiple choice question, you know? Anyways, I wouldn't sweat it; everyone will study what the instructors tell you to and everyone scores pretty well on exams (the extra background makes understanding concepts much easier). hope this makes sense.

Valion310

Hmm ... cool, ya, that makes good sense actually. Is there a big difference between the guys with the prior backgrounds and the guys without it? Thanks a tone.

"Tally2 - Fox3!" -- "Good kill! Good kill!"

Valion310 out-

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having any aviation experience is sufficient vice an entire degree in the area. What I mean is that those who have prior experience (whether in a plane or in class) will not need to study hard to do well. Those that do not have any prior experience will have to study but not having any experience is no way a handicap. At least not in API. It helps to have a clue for primary (where it really counts). Keep in mind that api is just that, an indoctrination. The level of material covered is like taking a freshman course in college. The only difficulty is that it takes 4 weeks vice an entire semester.

Rainman

pilot
true dat kmac!
Yeah, some kind of experience makes things easier. .couple classes might be all review (FR&R for me). . .BUT I got my lowest score on FR&R (I guess that's not that uncommon). .so I'll reiterate that you'd have an easier time but the ones with experience aren't necessary getting all the 100%. They'll get some. . .No exp will get some. They make it fairly easy to miss a couple. . which gives you a nice score. ..esp since the scores don't matter. . . .Just do your best and pass everything.

Edited by - joshmountain on 08/05/2002 22:36:20

Valion310

Thanks for the imput, seems to me that its one of those "having enough rope to hang yourself with" if one is not careful. Thanks again and I'll keep that in mind as I progress through my courses now.

"Tally2 .. Fox1 -- Good kill! Good kill!"

Valion310 out-

DDriver

How about taking a couple of ground school ( priv pilot, instrument etc..) courses offered in community colleges would that help? What factors do they consider when selection comes (as far as selecting for helos, props, or jets) - and how do you excell other than having an aviation degree?

I thought the Navy have C-130/J ? are they limited to the Chair Force and Marines?

Status
Not open for further replies.