• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of quick TW-5 questions

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It's been a few years now, but wasn't that part of the prop sleeve impact fix?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The prop cares. No idea why they didn't just program it to maintain 80% to a lower altitude.

Interesting. I wonder what causes the stress (different aerodynamics from the airframe, bigger prop/more blades, etc).

Planeform

pilot
Interesting. I wonder what causes the stress (different aerodynamics from the airframe, bigger prop/more blades, etc).

Something to do with stress on the prop blade with the prop's AOA during a stall/spin and air density below 10,000ft coupled with the prop tip breaking the sound barrier results in stress and vibration that might break the blade.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Doubt it. We spin with the PCL at idle. The PMU actually speeds up the blades to maintain the 80% Np (its usually around 48% at idle).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Unless the PA's are in Hornets, at 0400, I am fine with it...

I'm going to for sure shoot a PA at 0400 @ PNS next time I'm down there. Some might say...."hey MIDNJAC, there is no such thing as a PA for the Hornet".......that's fine, but I'm sure it would probably involve being in full blower on the good motor the entire time :)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Additionally, while not prop related...the book says 2-3 turns per second at 4-500' lost per turn. In a full spin, that's 10k/min descent rate. Never heard it mentioned, but staying above 10k keeps you in the "minute to live" window.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Additionally, while not prop related...the book says 2-3 turns per second at 4-500' lost per turn. In a full spin, that's 10k/min descent rate. Never heard it mentioned, but staying above 10k keeps you in the "minute to live" window.

I don't remember what the foot/rev was in the T-34, but it had a 7K-9K FPM spin rate, so you were always inside the minute to live envelope during Fams. High spins/spirals (which the studs didn't do) I was more concerned with, especially with multiple cases of guys not getting out of a progressive spin right away and getting read to blow the canopy (or worse, in Corpus).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I didn't figure it was that big of a concern and that the T-34 was probably pretty similar.