• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions about me, and the process...

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Worth adding to this discussion is that OCS is a magical place where the paperwork moves slower than the visits to the flight doctor. Here's the gig, as I remember it: If you are NPQ'd in OCS, your chances of being redes'd to something else (NFO if you're qualified, or another designator) are very high. Obviously you won't always get what you want, but every person I talked to that was npq'd and didn't DOR was satisfied with where they ended up.

The catch is though, if you are NPQ'd after OCS (as in down in P'cola) then your chances of being redes'd at all are near zero. Someone I didn't particularly like in OCS (and still don't like, but that's for another time), was close to being NPQ'd for NFO in OCS. She wasn't (they cleared her just in time) and she was sent down to P'cola. In IFS, she DOR'd because she decided flying wasn't for her/it just wasn't interesting/whatever. Bottomline, had she been NPQ'd, she might have been redes'd to Intel (which supposedly a lot of npq'd people in my OCS class got when they put in for it). Because she DOR'd and because it was after OCS, last I checked she is being transferred out of the Navy. Also, every med disqualified person I have talked to is in the same boat. There are a ton of people that want in to the other designators and just not enough spaces. The competition to stay in is tough.

Hi All,

This is an average of 73%.
I'm not sure how this stacks up against the real scoring of the test, can anyone help me understand if these scores are competitive or not?

That 73% means nothing, as it's put down. The ASTB is a test that is scored from 20 to 80, where your score is based on a Gaussian distribution of scores taken by other people. The average will net you a score of 50, and each 10 points away from that signifies a standard deviation from that mean score. Score an 80, and you're in the top 99.9% of people who have taken the test, score a 20 and you might have a pulse. Maybe.

If I apply for Pilot, will I know if I will be a pilot before going to OCS?(Yes)
If I Apply for Pilot, will I possibly be put into NFO instead without me knowing?(No)
Will I get an interview regardless of how I look on paper? (Not sure)
Are there more questions I should be asking?(Probably...)

I appreciate all your time for reading this, please leave comments if any come to mind, or suggestions.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and....yes.

Or at least I'm pretty sure that'll be the case. My recruiter originally told me I was proreq'd for NFO, then when I went in to sign the papers he realized I was proreq'd for SNA. So that answers a yes to the first two. When I applied, interviews weren't required, but they were available upon request. So I'm guessing that you'd be able to get an interview even if on paper you suck. And lastly, you should always ask more questions until others tell you to shut up.