• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Could use some advice on commissioning

carmelormn

Hi there
I just got the bad news I was not professionally selected for OCS/Pilot designator. Mr. Joe who is my liaison (I am enlisted going on Officer) told me that everything look fine in my application, just that my scores are rather average 42 & 4/5/5 and that I could use an EP I only got MPs on my evals. I also applied only for one designator because an Officer Recruiter told me to do it that way because it demonstrates exclusivity and better chance to be picked. My questions are, what would you guys recommend to make myself more competitive? What would you recommend to study up for my retest? I joined the Navy 7 years ago, and this one of my milestones, I got good PRTs, good reputation and excellent interviews and letters of recommendations. I really want to join the Officer Ranks, and I only have one year to make it as a pilot, anything will be greatly appreciated!

Lucy

The average pilot scores are 60 with 7's and 8's so your biggest step would be to get that ASTB score closer to those averages. Also what was your GPA?

Lucy

I personally used Barrons Officer Apptitude test book, the arco info that is online, the guides on here, and the FAA guidebook. Looking at your scores, your math is about average(based on the AQR) but not for SNA, and your reading is most likely what brought down your OAR. While it is a combined score, the math is used in the first 2 subsets, in which you scored average for all desginators, however your OAR score is below average which would indicate either your Mech or Reading section was much lower.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Since you're enlisted, do you have any significant quals or awards?
You mentioned you got an MP, which means you are somewhere between the 25%-50% of your eval group. You want to stand out to the board, you really need EP's with a good soft breakout.

Do you have any significant collateral duties that demonstrate leadership and responsbility? Urinalysis Coordinator and PRT Coordinator are always nice quals to break you out of the pack.

Your profile shows you are in recruiting; any Recruiter of the Month/Quarter awards? Are you working towards RINC? My expirience is that Recruiting Districts hand out NAM's like PEZ for folks making goal; so you better be making goal and getting those NAMs. Are you working with the DEP'ers doing things like leading PT, GMT, etc? Little things like that can make you look better to the selection board.

Lucy recommend higher test scores and that can only help, but you need to plus up your 'whole person' package.

Get some significant collateral duties to demonstrate leadership. Get some top level quals which I guess for you right now would be RINC. If you're an airdale, did you earn thinks like FS QAR or SFF? These types of quals show the board that your present command trusts you in a leadership position. That is one thing the board will looks for, proven leadership ability.

What warfare pins do you have? If you had the opportunity to earn a second warfare qual and didn't, that will not be looked favorably on by the selection board. While on shore duty you will not be able to work towards warfare quals, so hopefully you're good already.

You need make yourself look so good that the selection board will say "This is the kind of person we want leading our people". If you test scores are average and your evals are just above average, you are not rising above the rest and may not get selected.

Either way, good luck.

carmelormn

When I took the test I just printed out guides out of this website, really didn’t refreshed my math or reading. I will check that book out today when I get out of work. Thank you for those points, they are very helpful

carmelormn

I do have my AEWS, and all my ATO Quals including Work Center Supervisor, and I finished my CDI PQS but did not obtain the qual because I was transferring to recruiting duty. I also have a couple of quals that are P3 specific that required a secret clearance; can I put it on my application? I do have my share of collateral duties, like Training, Supply and DEP coordinator.
As for the NAMs, well not anymore, we accumulate specific points for NAMs and COMs for/from different activities/wickets (DEP management, NCO, Female and so on) and I am doing ok with those, I got a NAM last year for DEP management and I already surpassed that number as of today, if I do not get any attrition. I already finished my RINC qual; I am just waiting to get it on my service record, passed my board already.
I guess I have to reorganize my package and put everything that I have done, thank you for the detail, I will adapt and overcome!
Thank you!!!

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I concur that you need to get those ASTB scores up, but I do not know how to direct you in the best way to do that. On the other hand, I don't think I ever met a Mustang who only had MPs and those really should be under your control.

carmelormn

Yes I am working on my scores right now, I really did not study for the test, I learned from my mistakes and now I take the book to work and every other chance I get I study a bit. On the MPs, well not excuses but I have always been the quiet one among my peers, I did everything I was requested, plus I volunteered but never truly stand out. But I am trying to be bolder lately, and just show off everything I do. Thank you for your insight

carmelormn

Hi all
I know it has been a while since I updated this but I have been working to better my package. I got all my quals for recruiter (I am a RinC now) got an EP and better ATSB schores 46 5/5/5. I wish I had better scores but at least I did improve overall(volunteer, PFA, all) . So now I wait until April 25th. I now have a bold request, any pilot or NFO out there that would like to interview me? extra interviews are always good... thank you!!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never heard of a recruiter telling a guy to put one designator choice down to show exclusivity or some such crap. What did the civilian processor say? We usually get applicants thinking that it helps to put down one choice, but a recruiter should know better. They will not pass on your first choice and offer a second or third choice if you are qualified for and would have been competitive for the first choice. Sometimes a guy will get offered all three choices, so this notion that putting one choice down helps your odds is BS. What it does is reduce your odds dramatically for any selection. Now if all you want is pilot, great, go with one choice. But if you would consider other options to get a commission and finish out your career in the ward room, then put three choices down. You can always say no if you change your mind. While scores were the biggest issue last go around, you could screw yourself if you listen to that recruiter and continue to put down a single choice next time when you have logged great scores.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
To the OP: I don't know if there is a difference for prior or non-prior accessions; but there is a lot of word going around that most of the April boards are on hold now (with no definite timeline for resumption). My OR gave me that news about 1.5 weeks ago.

Definitely not suggesting to stop getting your packet together, just thought I should share.

Good luck.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I don't know if there is a difference for prior or non-prior accessions

There is no difference in the boards. Applying for OCS being active or civilian is the same, however, the active/prior applicants have more information (military related) that needs to be provided.