• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

could someone please review my narrative, CG OCS

BEEF54

Hello All,

New Guy Here, currently I am a civilian Airline Pilot. I want to serve my country, and am basically bored with patrolling the friendly skies in a bus. I'm in the process of completing my OCS package for the Coast Guard. I understand that it is extremly competetive and if I do not get selected this time around I plan on enlisting and trying again later. I was wondering if i could get some help from some of you who have gone through this process before. Could someone please review my narrative for me, i was not really sure what tone to write it in. I'd love some advice/reviews. Thank you for your help.

Doug

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Hey, welcome aboard...
I did pretty much exactly what you are talking about...in the Navy...and it worked for me. (I'm sure if you dig through my old posts you will see it laid out in painful detail)

I had my degree already so it made that part easy. If you are dead set on the Coast Guard, then that may be the way for you (I really don't know anything about their process, again, I'm Navy)

Maybe give a thought to the Navy. We are a little bigger, there are a few more spots...and we have some nice planes that shoot guns and drop bombs! (or sonobouys)

Good luck...
Pickle

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
The only thing I would say, and coming from this O-1 it isnt much, I WOULD NOT enlist and count on getting picked up down the road, unless you truly just want to serve in which case +1 for you. I would just apply as many times as it takes, it took me 3 times and 1.5 years to finally get selected.

I'd say the biggest thing would be just not giving up. My recruiter told me numerous times its not looking good for pilot slots, slim chance, yada yada yada, then one day I got the phone call and 3 months later I was in OCS. If you have the time (read: age limit) I would apply until you get it.

Good luck and use the search function extensively, almost every question you will have has been answered here. :icon_zbee

BEEF54

The only thing I would say, and coming from this O-1 it isnt much, I WOULD NOT enlist and count on getting picked up down the road, unless you truly just want to serve in which case +1 for you. I would just apply as many times as it takes, it took me 3 times and 1.5 years to finally get selected.

I'd say the biggest thing would be just not giving up. My recruiter told me numerous times its not looking good for pilot slots, slim chance, yada yada yada, then one day I got the phone call and 3 months later I was in OCS. If you have the time (read: age limit) I would apply until you get it.

Good luck and use the search function extensively, almost every question you will have has been answered here. :icon_zbee

i just want to serve, and i was running up aginst the age limit, however CG just raised that to 30 so now i have a few more years, but i just want to get in and serve, im looking for a carrer change. Thanks for your advice, I am a very determined and persistant person so i will definatly keep reapplying even if it takes some time, but if i dont get picked up this time i still think i will plan on going enlisted, as i said i just want to serve. I'm almost complete with my packet, (deadline is still a little way off) but i would love some constructive criticism on my narrative if anyone can help.

Thank you

Doug

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
First of all...

How old are you?

Where did you go to school, what was your major and GPA?

Do you have any big medical conditions that might prevent you from flying for the military?

Are you physically fit?

What is the name of the recruiter are you talking too?

The only important question is the last one... you don't have to answer it, merely making a point. From what I got you are close to 27, 27, or currently a year older than 27 (I guess 28), and your age is the only thing that might hold you back. The best thing that you can do if you want to fly in the military is talk to a recruiter and get your package started asap.

Do you want to fly in the military first or serve in the military first? Maybe you should think about a complete change of career and go Intel in the Navy, or SWO, or Supply... it is really a great chance to completely change your life, and you can look back on your experience as a pilot as a great part of your life, and now you want to move on into someother career. Look at all of your options before you choose only CG because you MIGHT get selected for a pilot slot. But act quick, once you reach 29, the possible careers in the military as an officer really shrink.

Good luck, and all the best!

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Please send me your narrative via pm...

I would be happy to review it, Doug.

BEEF54

Thanks everyone for your quick responses and help, HercDriver PM sent, thank you.

First of all...

How old are you?

26, turning 27 in May

Where did you go to school, what was your major and GPA?

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Major- Aeronautics, Minors- Avation Safety and Aeronautical Science GPA-3.0

Do you have any big medical conditions that might prevent you from flying for the military?

ACL surgery Feb of 2005, no recurring issues, can run on it just fine, the only other thing is a tattoo on my leg that is less than 25% of the area between the knee and ankle, it is not offensive, it is a Red, White, Blue, memorial for a Amry friend who was KIA

Are you physically fit?

Yes, i need to drop about 6 more pounds, but that is coming of fast, im working on improving my running times and pushups and situps but they are in limits, before anyone says it, i never look to bare mins i am working on making everything as good as possible

What is the name of the recruiter are you talking too?

The only important question is the last one... you don't have to answer it, merely making a point. From what I got you are close to 27, 27, or currently a year older than 27 (I guess 28), and your age is the only thing that might hold you back. The best thing that you can do if you want to fly in the military is talk to a recruiter and get your package started asap.

Yes i am currently working with a recruiter, i am taking my OCS package to him on Friday to get him to look over everything, and make any necessary changes

Do you want to fly in the military first or serve in the military first? Maybe you should think about a complete change of career and go Intel in the Navy, or SWO, or Supply... it is really a great chance to completely change your life, and you can look back on your experience as a pilot as a great part of your life, and now you want to move on into someother career. Look at all of your options before you choose only CG because you MIGHT get selected for a pilot slot. But act quick, once you reach 29, the possible careers in the military as an officer really shrink.

I really want to serve, i am less concerned about flight right now, however with 2500 hours of flight time already under my belt, commercial liscence, and flight instructor ratings, i would love to be able to fly if its possible, Im not looking at the CG purely because of flight, I would also be very happy doing the LE jobs or pretty much anything else. I also like the CG because i do have a wife and a child on the way, I would be happy going infanty officer with the Core but understandably the wife definatly wants me to try for something else first. My Brother in Law has been in the CG for 10 years and we have gotten to see a bit of what he does and i think that would be a good fit for me. I do know I am up against the clock and am definatly working on it ASAP while still trying to do whats best for me and my family.

Good luck, and all the best!

Thank you!!