• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Could really use some Advice, OCS/enlisted/Flying

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
I've been mulling over my options for so long that it's driving me crazy and I've decided I need some advice from people in the military that aren't recruiters.

Ok so here's my story. I've wanted to be a pilot ever since my grandpa took me to a military air show when I was 4. I am 21 years old and going to be a Senior in college this year. For my first two years, I was in Air Force ROTC. My grades weren't the best but I stayed above a 2.0.
In AFROTC, you have to commit before you even find out if you're qualified to be a pilot and I did not want to get stuck flying a desk.

Close to the end of my Sophomore year, my friend told me about Marine OCS and how they can guarantee you a flight spot if you pass the ASTB. I scored a 6/7/6 and got contracted. The only thing lacking was my PFT score. I had 15 pullups, 100 crunches, and a 26:00 run time.
I did not get accepted to OCS that summer

This year, my Junior year, my grades were a lot better. My last term I got a 3.05 gpa. I had 20 pullups and 100 crunches. They told me in order to get selected I needed at least a 24:00 run time. I ended up getting a 23:30 run time. On the same exact day I made that time, my OSO got an email from OCS saying that they had raised the bar to 23:00 flat and under. They still submitted my package, however I didn't get accepted for a second time.

Now here is my dilemma. I know that OCC is a LOT more competitive than PLC and that I would probably need to get my run down to a 22 or 21 in order to be even considered. But when my OSO told me I didn't make it, he basically told me if I still wanted to be a Marine I would be better off enlisting. Now, I know some officers going into OCS are prior enlisted, but I also know you have to be at least a Corporal to apply for the Enlisted to Commissioned program.
If I went enlisted, I would try to do something aviation or something that promotes fast so I could go to OCS as soon as possible but still get that enlisted experience of how to be a marine so I would have a better idea of how to lead Marines. I'm guessing it would be an extra 3 or 4 years before I made corporal since I already have my bachelors degree. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Now, my family has a few Marine and Naval aviators in our extended family that I was previously unaware of. Would having them as references or having them write letters of recommendation help my chances for OCC any?

I have also talked to my local Air Force Recruiter. She has gotten me in contact with the Officer Selection Officer for their branch. They got back to me and said that with my bachelors degree and Private pilot's licence at the end of the summer, I would have a very good chance of being selected.

Now the final part of my thoughts. I have a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years. I know she is the one. I was trying to figure out what would be the best option as far as that goes. We both know we are going to end up together and she is nothing like the women you hear about that write Dear John letters and such. I know I will still get warnings because I read somewhere that 85% of enlisted marine marriages end in divorce. However I'm thinking that the majority of those are people who enlist right out of high school and marry their high school girlfriends.
I'm thinking, Marine enlisted then officer would be the the most stressful on our relationship. We are both very down to earth people and are smart enough not to live outside our means. I've heard the Air Force has the best living conditions and base housing, and officer pay would be better as well if we get married after I'm commissioned.

Ranks of my three choices:
1) Marine OCC
2) Air Force Officer
3) Marine Enlisted to Officer

This summer, I've started the 300 PFT program at 300pft.com as well as P90x2 to try and get in better shape for whatever I decide to do.

Final thoughts: Ultimately, I still want to fly. I never considered the Marines before I found out about OCS, but now that I've had the prospect of being a Marine and being one of the best put in my head, I really want to be a Marine. As awesome as flying in any branch of military would be, I want to earn that title and lead marines. I feel like if I don't become a marine and choose the Air Force instead, I would be something I'll regret the rest of my life.

Thank you for taking the time to read my huge wall of text.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Ventus

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Well obviously no one can tell you what to do, but I'll give you my two cents. I'm a Navy Ensign and I did OCS about two years after graduating college. I would not recommend enlisting. There are a lot of hurdles to get past in order to make it E to O in any service, and it'll be a big time commitment just to have the possibility to make it officer. I'm less familiar with how the Marines do their E to O stuff, so I won't weigh in much beyond that. If I were in your situation, I would apply for OCC and keep trying to get it because it seems like you really want to be a Marine. Also, you may want to contact a Navy OR and look into Navy OCS. USMC or USN, you'd still be a Naval Aviator, and I gotta say, as an SNA, this job is amazing. Air Force isn't a bad route, but if you want to fly for the Marines, that means you want to be a Naval Aviator, so why not pursue every opportunity to become one (even if it's not with the Marines)? All that being said, no one can predict your chances for OCC, but it seems like you're doing everything right to make it happen. Best of luck.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. I've actually thought about Navy OCS before, so any information on that would be appreciated as well. But as you said, I want to be a Marine haha.
But yes I am aware that I would still have the title of Naval Aviator. And it does seem to me that the smart thing to do is play the waiting game and keep applying to OCC.

The only hard part is seeing all of my friends go off and earn their commissions from ROTC or some of my younger brother's friends go enlisted. Because if I enlisted, I would be behind them save my degree.

It's like, I want to earn that title. I want to be able to fly, but also be a rifleman. I want at least a taste of the ground stuff.

Renegade One

None
Well obviously no one can tell you what to do, but I'll give you my two cents. I'm a Navy Ensign and I did OCS about two years after graduating college. I would not recommend enlisting. There are a lot of hurdles to get past in order to make it E to O in any service, and it'll be a big time commitment just to have the possibility to make it officer. I'm less familiar with how the Marines do their E to O stuff, so I won't weigh in much beyond that. If I were in your situation, I would apply for OCC and keep trying to get it because it seems like you really want to be a Marine. Also, you may want to contact a Navy OR and look into Navy OCS. USMC or USN, you'd still be a Naval Aviator, and I gotta say, as an SNA, this job is amazing. Air Force isn't a bad route, but if you want to fly for the Marines, that means you want to be a Naval Aviator, so why not pursue every opportunity to become one (even if it's not with the Marines)? All that being said, no one can predict your chances for OCC, but it seems like you're doing everything right to make it happen. Best of luck.
Good stuff...I was struggling. BigJeffray said it better, and with more "street cred" than I would have.

Just want to BOLD UNDERLINE that part about "this job is amazing". Apparently. some things just don't change. Good luck.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
Personally, I wouldn't go enlisted if I were you. It's probably going to be the roughest road.

Go after what you want and don't accept no for an answer. If you want to be a Marine Officer then go run a 21 minute 3 mile. It sounds like the hurdle in your way is you, not the Marines or the Navy. Run everyday, push yourself. Behind my desk at my house I have the Naval Officer Crest. I stare at that and realize what it takes. That's all the motivation I need to stay up late to finish my school work. I maintain EP evals, go to school full time with a 4.0 GPA, and I still find ways to volunteer and be a father and husband. Is it freaking hard, hell yes. But the prize of wearing a Naval Officer Uniform will be worth it. Sacrifice yourself and lay it all on the line and you'll get there.

Just my opinion, but everyone has those.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Now the final part of my thoughts. I have a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years....
As someone who married after OCS, I believe I have the unique qualifications to answer this question. Unfortunately, everyone's unique and my experiences will not help you at all. The best thing you can do is get your best friends (individually or all at once) and have them interrogate/quiz you and make you defend your relationship with your girl. If you can hit a homerun on every question they ask then you're probably OK.

Ranks of my three choices:
1) Marine OCC
2) Air Force Officer
3) Marine Enlisted to Officer
Ok, so my gouge is circa 2010 so it's a bit out of date, but I bet some of it still holds true.
Marine OCC, they care about grades/astb scores and they REALLY care about pt. Face it, if you can't run 3 mi in 21 minutes, you probably aren't going to OCC. The other reason this is true (besides not being accepted) is that if you are not in shape at OCS you will be injured, and the marines send their injured home to try again next time.

Air Force, they REALLY care about gpa/afoqt/pcsm scores. I mean, end-all-be-all. Yeah, there's a whole-person element going on too, but that's 1 in a 100. Honestly, your gpa (if it's low like you say it is) is gonna kill you in this race. And the private pilot license will help you, but know too that a lot of af applicants have commercial licenses and cfii's.

I'm not qualified to speak authoritatively on the E to O transition but I can give you uninformed opinion. My favorite opinion I have heard to date on going enlisted versus officer is that you should only go E if that is what you want to do. Supposedly, it is NOT a stepping stone to a commission as it would appear to civilian folk. (Simply put, it is a career path in and of itself).

This summer, I've started the 300 PFT program at 300pft.com as well as P90x2...

I came off pretty negative above, but I want you to know that I didn't mean it to come off as "you won't make it." Instead, I meant that these are your obstacles, now you know how to get around them, kinda thing. The 3 mi in 21 min run is a tough one and I'm still working on it myself, but it can be done with a healthy training regimen, making sure not to overtrain (and injure) yourself. If you bust ass on the afoqt and TBAS (getting a good pcsm), you'll provide that extra offset that it might take to get accepted af style even with a low gpa.

Lastly, consider the Navy. I was actually in your very position not long ago. Let's just say that when I finally applied to Navy OCS, I haven't looked back since and am loving life. Right now they're handing out drones to dudes in the af. Need I say more?

exNavyOffRec

What is your overall GPA? If you wanted to apply for USN I would say consider taking the ASTB again to increase your scores if you GPA is low.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
My overall GPA is 2.7 however I still have one more year of college left and they are all easy classes.
I have a pretty clean record too. No drugs, tattoos, traffic violations, or a criminal record. I know some people have been passed over for those reasons.

UPDATE:
Ok so I went and talked to the OSO that I had as well as another OSO over the phone about OCC. They both said that OCC flight contracts are basically nonexistent in the Marines except for the Reserves. But I wanted to be active duty.

Also, I don't know what flight spots will be like in a few years either so enlisting just to try and become a Marine officer has a lot of risk. I mean, it's a real struggle for me right now. I've always wanted that pride of being a Marine, but if they have no flight spots then I don't know what to do.

In the Air Force, the pilots are not the same people that drive the drones. I'm pretty sure that's a separate MOS or AF Specialty Code or something.
Being a Pilot in the Air Force appeals to me because they have a greater percentage of fast movers compared to the rest of their planes. Like, for example, if I went Navy OCS and got to the point where they pick piplines, I dont want to get stuck flying a Hawkeye or another propeller plane or something else that goes slow or turns slow. Sea Stallion and Sea Knight are equally not as appealing. No disrespect to those pilots that fly them but I've always wanted to go fast if I became a pilot.

I've always thought it would be cool to serve aboard a carrier though. Learning how to land on "a postage stamp" would be awesome.

Just some raw thoughts here: Always wanted to be a Marine because I want to be the best and also be a rifleman and shoot guns. I want that training. But I also don't want to wait to become a pilot. Because I didn't make Marine OCS I now have to choose between flying and shooting guns. Maybe pilots can still apply for special training? It seems like I became a good enough pilot in the Air Force I might get to do secret stuff like how those guys were recruited for the Oxcart program (U-2) back in the 50's. Maybe even go to space like STARGATE :D

But in all seriousness, does the Navy have or have had special/secret pilot programs like the Air Force does? I'm not looking for anything specific and I don't know much about Navy aviation history.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Take it with a grain of salt, but everyone I know who has gotten selected for OCC in the last year has had a 290 or better PFT. Strive for a 300. (20/100/18:00).