• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Could I make it through OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck_ttu06

I am new to this place, my friend referred me to this website. I am impressed and am liking it. But there is one thing that has been bothering me and I hope some of you out there can help me. I have wanted to be a pilot since I was a boy, and have worked hard for it. After high school I was well on my way to achieving it. I got accepted to Texas A&M University and joined the Corps of Cadets and was on an ROTC scholarship. I had worked HARD and earned everything that I had hoped for. But... I only stayed at A&M for a semester and left, giving up my scholarship and everything I had worked so hard for. I absolutely HATED it in the Corps...the way that I and everyone else in my outfit was threated, unable to focus on pretty much any of your college work due to upperclass men, etc. I ended up leaving and having to take medicene to keep from getting amonia, I was right on the verge according to the doctors. I don't want to put down the Corps of Cadets in any way and that is not my intendtion. I truely believe it had to do with my perticular outfits upperclass men. 31 fish started out, by years end... 13 remained. My question is though, if I couldn't make it through the Corps, how could I make it through OCS and flight school on top of that? Is OCS harder than the Academys and military schools? I believe I have what it takes, and apparently a few others did as well since I was lucky enough to get a ROTC contract. I am coming into the last of college and need to make a decision, but am fearful that I will fail if I try again. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or enlightenment on this issue?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
OCS is a mental game, provided of course you meet standards. The question is: how much BS can you put up with? It seems that your experience at A&M may reflect negatively on your possible performance at OCS. I'm not saying you can't do it and you didn't have some really ****ty upperclassmen at A&M. But... you just gotta put up with crap, and it's only 13(?) weeks and everyone else is going through the same thing with you. Flight training is different than OCS that I know for sure.

amonia? pneumonia?

buck_ttu06

I completely agree with you, it is all a mental game. I just don't know my limits now after having quit the Corps. I don't really know if it was mostly do to the BS, or the stress of the college work load, or a combination of both. I eventually wore down and just could not stand it anymore. That is a good point about OCS only being 13 weeks! Sorry... I meant to say pneumonia, thats for pointing that out to me.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
yeah, OCS is just 13 weeks, though it seems a lot longer. I know what you mean about not being able to focus on your college work. At OCS you won't have to deal with that, because you'll be done with school. Though, for 13 weeks, you will live and breathe OCS (minus liberty of course). If you want it bad enough, you'll make it. Another big thing is the PT...how was your PT before you left the Corps? Excellent low is the passing grade.

buck_ttu06

I am in great shape. I ran cross country throughout high school and am still a long distance runner today, I also swim alot of laps. So I would say I am fairly good endurance condition. After I left the Corps I got very ill and was put on meds to boost my immune system back up so that I would not get pnemunia, but I recovered from that in about 2 weeks after alot of rest. I would say that the biggest obstacle that I would need to overcome is going to be the mind games & continous stress... I just don't know my own personal limits and fear that If I try again that I will fail again.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, let me put it this way. I know I didn't rush a frat in college mainly because I knew I didn't feel like taking crap from a guy one year older who just pledged last year. That must be what you felt like in the corps. However, it may be easier to catch hell from guys who are much older and have been in the service a while (Gunny and chief). OCS is a rite of passage. If you want that commission enough, you'll run through a brick wall to get it.

buck_ttu06

You hit it right on the head. That is a GREAT comparison. I just didn't want to keep putting up with the same old BS for another semester. I had done well and knew how to do most everything to near perfection. But still I received no respect or anything. Furthermore, some of my upperclassmen could not even complete the regular morning PT!!! How am I suppose to have & show respect for someone who can't even complete a 3 mile run? These are just college boys on power trips... with VERY minimum adult supervision. I had a hard time respecting them, and believe that you are right, that it will be easier to take criticism from those who are older and have earned the right. Thanks for some great advice!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not a problem. OCS is actually a very inspirational and motivational place. Even though our Class Drill Instructor was destroying us, by the 6th week, I was ready to run through a brick wall for him. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Looking back on it, I'd rather have the "stress" I had at OCS instead of the stress I have now...as long as the pay was what I'm getting now.

Your first week at OCS sucks...at least until you figure out how to turn on the hot water. The worst part after that is trying to stay awake during classes. PT wasn't all that bad unless you were hurt. I had trouble with the candios and all the yelling at first, but once you realize you're going to see these people throughout the years and you'll be on a first name basis with Candidate Ensign Sharptongue in a few weeks, it's not big deal.

Just don't be like my roommat and run away, then come back and try to kill yourself while you're rotting in GTX. That just made my life miserable and introduced me to the concept of being responsible for things you really should not responsible for...welcome to the Nav!

Status
Not open for further replies.