• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cortramid 2009

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
CORTRAMID 2009 just kicked off yesterday, and if you'll indulge me, I'd like to ask a few favors:

For those already wearing the Wings of Gold:

1. Please take the time to show these kids all you can to help them make an informed decision regarding which community they might be interested in.

2. Light hearted kidding between communities or designators is expected, but be professional and don't go out of your way to bash others. Some of the finest officers I know don't wear wings, or even a Navy uniform, for that matter.

3. Invite a couple of them to the house for dinner or a cookout on the weekend.

4. Go to the Norfolk galley for breakfast and sit down with some of them. They'll ask a million questions, just like you wanted to when you were their age.

5. Arrange to take some of them up into the tower, or to the Bomb Farm @ FASO, or the sims, or to the boat, or any number of places.

6. If you get the good deal and are selected to fly some of them, realize the Skipper has placed a lot of confidence in your professional abilities to do all the thinking in a two seat airplane that day.

7. Don't go out of your way to make a guy sick just to say you did it. Most won't need any help getting there on their own.

8. I don't know what the SOP is for such stuff these days, but (within reason) let them do as much as they can. In my Dad's day, he used to let them actually rotate on takeoff and get as much stick time as possible. (Of course back then they used to wreck planes daily in the training Command, too.) Offer to let them try to taxi or talk on the radios. Obviously take the extra time in the brief to walk them through some of that stuff.

9. Take them to the Club for lunch or after work. Even if they can't drink, they can still get a feel for the place.

10. Make sure someone takes a few photos of them (before flight). It may be the only time some of them ever get to wear the cool kit, and it's a nice souvenir.

11. Remember you are a role model and recruiter, and we need talented young men and women.

If you are a Midshipman:

1. Ask lots of questions.

2. Take pictures.

3. Volunteer. Seriously. It's the only time in your Navy career when volunteering usually is a good deal.

4. Be on time.

5. When walking from Penn Hall to the Chow Hall look like you know how to walk in a group.

6. That catchy tune blaring over the loudspeaker at 0800? That's the National Anthem. You're supposed to stop what you're doing and salute.

7. Don't act too cool for school by copping an attitude. You don't know Jack.

8. Strive to hang out with people other than your classmates from school. Some of my best friends I met during CORTRAMID over 25 years ago.

9. Get out of your room and do something, even if it's to go to the gym, or the golf course.

10. Use the time to get / stay in shape before Marine Week.

11. Have fun.

12. If you happen to be in CORTRAMID @ Norfolk / Oceana, feel free to PM me if you want to see something but don't know who to ask. I'll do my best to help you out.

Thank you.

If you see son-of-a6intruder out there, tell him I said 'hi."

cclement

None
Also to the mids: At San Diego F-18 flights are generally given out to the highest PRT scores from the first weekend...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also to the mids: At San Diego F-18 flights are generally given out to the highest PRT scores from the first weekend...

Which is freaking retarded IMHO. When I was on my senior middie cruise in '06, one of the pilots I was flying with one day was talking about some kid he had flown while on det at CORTRAMID. He had "won" the Hornet flight for his PRT scores, and upon strapping in the kid informed the pilot that he had no interest in aviation....didn't even think he could ever find an interest. According to the guy telling me the story, he told the kid to unstrap, get out, and grab someone who actually wanted to be there.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
In my Dad's day, he used to let them actually rotate on takeoff and get as much stick time as possible.

The LT I flew with way back when I did CORTRAMID (2005 :D), showed me, then let me try, some acrobatics in a T-34C (including him showing me what -2 and +4 Gs felt like), and I also got some stick time in an SH-60. Fun stuff, probably what sold me on aviation...

MIDN, have fun with this opportunity, it's not one that everyone gets. It's your last chance to REALLY see every community before you start specializing...just make sure you are coming to the right one when you're done. ;)

torpedo0126

I remember a huge thing for me is when they gave us a squadron patch and had black leather nametags made for us too.

MH-Z

pilot
Yep, standing by for the mids starting this week in SD. Hopefully they won't have a repeat of my CORTRAMID (the infamous '98 lock-down in San Diego).

cclement said:

So that's why I got 46's in El Toro! Ah well, while I was at Newport beach, the other kids were sweating it up in Lamore.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember doing some time with HSL-45 in San Dog. Went to Imperial Beach and tried to hover; definitely not as easy as it looks. Also got some stick time in a T-34 which was a blast. If any of you happen to end up in Jax at the dirty thirty (VP-30), pm me and I'll answer any questions you've got.

torpedo0126

My school's track record at CORTRAMID:

CORTRAMID West 03-04: 4-5 sent home for going to Tijuana

CORTRAMID West 04-05: Half sent home for massive underage drinking incident

CORTRAMID West 07-08: 1 sent home for the "orgy room" where 2 guys/2 girls were found. One girl had her pants off and a 17" dildo was found under the bed (no joke, no embellishment there).

--Another sent home for hooking up in the barracks.

cclement

None
Which is freaking retarded IMHO. When I was on my senior middie cruise in '06, one of the pilots I was flying with one day was talking about some kid he had flown while on det at CORTRAMID. He had "won" the Hornet flight for his PRT scores, and upon strapping in the kid informed the pilot that he had no interest in aviation....didn't even think he could ever find an interest. According to the guy telling me the story, he told the kid to unstrap, get out, and grab someone who actually wanted to be there.

At the same time though, it may convince someone to go aviation. My roommate would have gotten the F-18 flight, because she had the best female score in our company. However, some other girl pestered out LT for a flight until he gave it her. My roommate had no idea what she wanted to do when she got to San Diego, which is quite normal at CORTRAMID, but by the end of aviation week she wanted to fly. And now she's an NFO.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
At the same time though, it may convince someone to go aviation. My roommate would have gotten the F-18 flight, because she had the best female score in our company. However, some other girl pestered out LT for a flight until he gave it her. My roommate had no idea what she wanted to do when she got to San Diego, which is quite normal at CORTRAMID, but by the end of aviation week she wanted to fly. And now she's an NFO.

Fair enough, there are two sides to every coin. I guess the solution would be to place the caveat that you should at least have some desire to go on the flight. Obviously to me (and probably most others on this board) the thought of not being excited about going flying in a jet is hard to understand, but there really are some folks out there who just have no desire to fly.