• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Ryan Hackman

I have also been unable to log in for a few weeks. Typically only works during normal business hours-but even then can be hit or miss. Just tried Chrome Incognito and no joy. Separate question-has anyone tried the Marinenet language courses? I was able to create an account and access MarineNet, but have not taken the next step of enrolling, etc. Look to be a decent source of points, and I don't see any eligibility restrictions in the FY18 Approved Courses list.

PT Goodtimes

pilot
Gents -- I submitted NETC courses to PERS in mid-October. All courses (except one) were completed prior to 1 October -- but some of those are not on the FY18 approved list for me [officer]. The one course I completed after 1 October is on the FY18 approved list.

I received a notification from PERS93 that it received the correspondence courses I submitted and forwarded to PERS-912 with a recommendation for entry into your point record. And that PERS-912 has the final determination for point value of courses submitted.

A couple questions -- how long should I wait before calling 912 to make sure that I am credited with the points? And do you think there is any chance they will not credit points for courses that (a) were completed before 1 Oct when they were on the approved list; but (b) were not submitted until after 1 Oct when they were not on the list?

Thanks guys

m5h9

I'm in a similar situation. Submission date should not be a factor, as its based on completion date. Should be ok, but I would give it 90 days before your anniversary date, make the call, and if they aren't posted, the clerk can check the status in the notes if you give the ~submission date. When I submitted mine for the ones on the pre-Oct list, 93 made it a point to say those courses weren't on the new list but were forwarding them all for credit anyway.

priormissioncommander

None
Gents -- I submitted NETC courses to PERS in mid-October. All courses (except one) were completed prior to 1 October -- but some of those are not on the FY18 approved list for me [officer]. The one course I completed after 1 October is on the FY18 approved list.

I received a notification from PERS93 that it received the correspondence courses I submitted and forwarded to PERS-912 with a recommendation for entry into your point record. And that PERS-912 has the final determination for point value of courses submitted.

A couple questions -- how long should I wait before calling 912 to make sure that I am credited with the points? And do you think there is any chance they will not credit points for courses that (a) were completed before 1 Oct when they were on the approved list; but (b) were not submitted until after 1 Oct when they were not on the list?

Thanks guys

From what I understand they are accepting submissions from the old course list until January 2018 and from January 2018 on they will only recommend to Pers 93 point credit for courses from the FY18 Course list. With that being said, it can not hurt to be extra cautious and take additional courses from the FY 18 list 'to meet a 'good year' just in case. Recently I learned prior to retirement they have a team that scrubs records (and retirement correspondence courses specifically for every year completed / every point credit) and have in the past removed course credit giving individuals a bad year which affects retirement eligibility.

priormissioncommander

None

Thanks guys

Also, Pers 912 wants 180 days after submission to credit you profile. I called PERS 912 within a week once and was read the riot act as they were not given enough time to review my account and it was unrealistic to expect that point credit to be reflected... In your final year it is important to stay on top of the points submissions as if you wait 6 months to verify you have received credit, it might be too late to fix it. So if they lash out, take it with a grain of salt - they are managing 45,000 IRR members and potentially 45,000 individuals submitting as much as 35 or more correspondence courses for credit. They do not have many people working in the office. Also, I asked PERS-912 about the "has the final determination for point value of courses submitted" and was informed that PERS-92 is suppose to be the gatekeeper and if they recommend point credit, then that "should' be enough approval - PERS-912 are the individuals that access our profiles and enter the data for retirement point credit. With that being said a manager at PERS-912 reviewed my record or profile and found many errors. Guess they have a lot of turnover too.

In reference to your questions a) you should be fine since you completed them before 1 Oct b) you "should' be fine even if it was submitted after 1 oct. The effective date or when they updated the website was 10oct17. As long as the date of completion is before 1 Oct 17 you should be all set. Congrats! & Good Luck!

PT Goodtimes

pilot
Thanks -- what do you mean by this: "Recently I learned prior to retirement they have a team that scrubs records (and retirement correspondence courses specifically for every year completed / every point credit)".

And "With that being said a manager at PERS-912 reviewed my record or profile and found many errors." -- was that for a particular year, or backward looking?

I have asked for and received from PERS a "Statement of Service for Navy Reserve Retirement", signed by a PERS person, that shows my points/years for every year. As official a record as I can have, I think. Surely they don't go back to prior closed years and look for ways to eliminate courses, points (and years) from your record, right? I thought that once you had a signed statement from PERS, that was official crediting. My points should be fine, but I really don't want to have to go back and debate whether courses from 5 years ago were or weren't on the list at the time, etc.

priormissioncommander

None
In October I spoke with an individual whom reviews records prior to retirement processing and was told that they review every single retirement credit point (current and prior years) and cross reference to verify good years. In terms of you having signed verification for good years, you should be in great shape. I was never able to get anyone to provide me that level of service.

In terms of the errors they discovered, they were pertaining to my specific record and the fact the clerk did not add the points and my record showed some hiccups even though I submitted every course via registered mail, & fax & email (when that came available). That might have been the issue (receiving duplicate copies from different sources). There were a few years they only accepted faxes and mail.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
In October I spoke with an individual whom reviews records prior to retirement processing and was told that they review every single retirement credit point (current and prior years) and cross reference to verify good years. In terms of you having signed verification for good years, you should be in great shape. I was never able to get anyone to provide me that level of service.

In terms of the errors they discovered, they were pertaining to my specific record and the fact the clerk did not add the points and my record showed some hiccups even though I submitted every course via registered mail, & fax & email (when that came available). That might have been the issue (receiving duplicate copies from different sources). There were a few years they only accepted faxes and mail.

You should be able to get a copy of your statement of service. I get mine once a year either by fax or USPS mail. I had a supervisor at PERS lecture me for an hour about how they couldn't do this for everyone, and I told him that my record was my responsibility and that my statement of service is the only thing I get from the Navy.

I have never had any points taken away. I have had some awarded that I think were duplicates, but I did not complain. They were never removed. I have been submitting correspondence courses for 8 years.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Has the IRR annual screening changed? In the past, I received an email from Wade Dych with instructions. But I have not received anything this year. My anniversary month is January. Has anyone submitted their IRR annual screening information since the IRR policy letter came out, OCT17?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Has the IRR annual screening changed? In the past, I received an email from Wade Dych with instructions. But I have not received anything this year. My anniversary month is January. Has anyone submitted their IRR annual screening information since the IRR policy letter came out, OCT17?

I emailed the IRR Counselor and he said "With the holidays and the amount of processing being completed due to the instruction, these letters may be arriving later than usual.
Attached is the annual screening to be completed and sent to PERS-9_muster@navy.mil."

I attached the screening document. It is different then the one I did in January 2017.

Attachments

• Annual Screening (Scan).pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 20
Nice find! Thanks!

ALL PLEASE NOTE: ^That^ file is updated as of June 2017, so make sure you use it and not one of the older versions when you do your annual muster/screening.

(side note: apparently what drove the change was adding a question as to whether the reservist intends to undergo gender reassignment surgery)