• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

I think it takes over two years before they remove you from IRR. In my case, I had two bad years and then they separated me about 6 months later. Now I'm back in IRR and getting points.

SWO-4-Life, are you an O-3 or O-4? Either way, you really don't want a bad year. It will make things impossible or at least more challenging for making 20 years. See the posts about continuation and sanctuary in this thread: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/promotion-in-the-irr.41335/
Wow. I didn't think the 27 points/yr was enforced. When did they boot to standby reserves? I imagine it's in the last few years, when they started tightening up all the other stuff?

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Wow. I didn't think the 27 points/yr was enforced. When did they boot to standby reserves? I imagine it's in the last few years, when they started tightening up all the other stuff?
I was honorably discharged in 2009. It surprised me too. Though, in retrospect, I'm glad as it makes getting 20 good years out of 24 years possible.

SWO-4-Life

None
I think it takes over two years before they remove you from IRR. In my case, I had two bad years and then they separated me about 6 months later. Now I'm back in IRR and getting points.

SWO-4-Life, are you an O-3 or O-4? Either way, you really don't want a bad year. It will make things impossible or at least more challenging for making 20 years. See the posts about continuation and sanctuary in this thread: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/promotion-in-the-irr.41335/
I'm an O-4. No I don't want to have a bad year, but if I don't have time to get 50 points I will at least push for 27, as I understand it that is the minimum to stay in IRR good standing. My anniversary is end of May, and I don't have much free time for doing courses, so that is why I was looking for the easiest path to 50.

SWO-4-Life

None
Also I was wondering... will MarineNet and/or NETC let you do the same courses year after year? So I just completed sound powered phone talker on NETC, can I complete it again in a year for good points?

Wow. Maybe they're actually helping us with that rule? I'd like to give credit where credit is due, and it sounds like it worked out better for you. Did you go S-2 to IRR? How did that work? Am I thread-jacking here??? I guess it's relevant still, so thanks in advance.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Also I was wondering... will MarineNet and/or NETC let you do the same courses year after year? So I just completed sound powered phone talker on NETC, can I complete it again in a year for good points?

No. SWO, there are lots of points available and they don't require a tremendous amount of work, but they require some time. Break it down into pieces, a couple hours every other day, or a solid weekend...something like that.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Wow. Maybe they're actually helping us with that rule? I'd like to give credit where credit is due, and it sounds like it worked out better for you. Did you go S-2 to IRR? How did that work? Am I thread-jacking here??? I guess it's relevant still, so thanks in advance.
I left Active Duty in 2004 and went SELRES. I drilled with a unit until 2007. At that point I asked to go IRR. I think the first year counted as "ready reserves" as I had enough carry over points from SELRES to get >27 pts for that year. Looking back on things I can see that at some point I must have gone to S2 but I received no notification about it. Two and a half "anniversary years" after going IRR, I got a letter that said basically, "thanks for your service. We've discharged you. Bye." I got back in to the IRR in 2012 largely because I was attempting to get a Recall job teaching at USNA.

I left SELRES because I was fed up with the complete lack of any useful work coming out of my unit. Sure our dental records were up to date and we all completed our GMT but we were doing basically nothing to support our parent command. The CO at the time had spent his entire Navy career in the Reserves (he didn't have a warfare pin.) What he thought was important was 180 degrees out from what I thought was important. </soapbox>

subreservist

I got back in to the IRR in 2012 largely because I was attempting to get a Recall job teaching at USNA.

The CO at the time had spent his entire Navy career in the Reserves (he didn't have a warfare pin.) What he thought was important was 180 degrees out from what I thought was important. </soapbox>

Don't see that that too often with CO's. Was your CO a Captain and/or Fleet support/HR community type or some type of medical CO? Based on your dental comment, I'm guessing a Dental Officer CO?

Since you used the word "attempt", I take it you didn't get a spot for USNA...I'm hoping to try out for that too in the future. Any potential gouge? Was there a reason you didn't keep trying for it?

snip...

I left SELRES because I was fed up with the complete lack of any useful work coming out of my unit. Sure our dental records were up to date and we all completed our GMT but we were doing basically nothing to support our parent command. The CO at the time had spent his entire Navy career in the Reserves (he didn't have a warfare pin.) What he thought was important was 180 degrees out from what I thought was important. </soapbox>
Amen brother.

N4Life

Has anyone applied for a DCAI course?

I received the following response via DCAA "At the present time, we are unable to enroll non-Agency employees directly in our self-study programs."

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Has anyone cracked the code on taking NPS classes? Am I understanding correctly that their distance learning classes are still synchronous and one must be an enrolled (and PAYING) student? The titles on some look appealing.

Be car

be careful, I think I tried to register for that one and the clerk didn't like something I put in my justification. I think I said something dumb like "I'm hoping to augment to a SOJTF". Then it was a death of a thousand cuts as he asked he drilled down deeper and finally I gave up. I know others have had better luck, so I think if you just proofread anything you put down you should be fine.

As far as the classes go, I thought all the JSOU courses I took were interesting.

Thanks for the reply vxc961!

I am working on NRTC course 15012 "Enlisted Aid," it is easy. I'm almost done and it took about 1.5 hours. I'll let you know if they give me the NRTC retirement points of 8 or if I get the PERS 912 listing of 6. I hope you guys get the 20 for Public Affairs, that was another one that was fairly easy. I finished it a few years ago.

lostSeaBee- Did you ever receive credit for "Enlisted Aid"? Just curious if you are enlisted or an off? I ask only because I'm suspicious as to whether or not they would give credits to an "o" for this course. There are no restrictions listed so I suspect it should be ok.

For anyone interested- I had been trying to reach Fontaine at NRTC over the past week or so. I then started 1-up/1-downing off her phone number (850-473-6041). A lady picked up and said that Fontaine was on a special assignment at another base. I was told that "Jackie Strong" was covering down on Fontaine's duties. I don't have her number since the lady who claimed to be forwarding me to Jackie just forwarded me to Fontaine's number. Hopefully this new person is as helpful as Fontaine was...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Have been doing a bunch of JKO courses lately - no problems on any of them until now. J3OP-US854 (Operational Swahili) will not complete even though I have green checks in all sections. Anybody else done this course, and if so, did you have a problem with the course completing?

Post script - did some sleuthing. Green checks everywhere but it would not complete. What I found was that there was a glitch and whatever the last chapter you were on - it would register as no activities completed on that section. Called the JKO help desk (manned 24 hours) and it was fixed within 2 minutes - really good customer service.

2 more points towards another maximum 130 point year - and another $18.50 annually for retirement... :)

Last edited: