• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

N4Life

Here's the deal. She says she spoke to a supervisor at PERS 912 who insisted we would be given credit for the NRTC courses according to the points listed at the NRTC website, NOT the points listed on our spreadsheet. He was adamant about it. If he's correct then 14219A will get you 20 points not 15, etc.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Schafer (the supervisor of Pers-912). He said it doesn't matter what the point value is on the NRTC website, -912 will only approve the value on the list as shown on the NPC website. I am not sure if this is another example of Pers-912 saying one thing to one person and something else to others.

I asked about taking courses for those whose work we may supervise, Mr. Schafer said to hold off as there is talk/plans to require IRR Sailors to ask permission before taking courses to ensure we are only taking courses relevant to our jobs (AKA further limiting how many points we can earn).

rob00000

I just got off the phone with Mr. Schafer (the supervisor of Pers-912). He said it doesn't matter what the point value is on the NRTC website, -912 will only approve the value on the list as shown on the NPC website. I am not sure if this is another example of Pers-912 saying one thing to one person and something else to others.

Thanks for the update!

I'll bet Mr. Schafer is giving you correct information. When Fontaine told me what that supervisor said I had a feeling it wasn't true. I really did.

Unless evidence is presented that Mr. Schafer is wrong, I'll calculate my point total according to what our list says NOT what's listed at the NRTC website.

I went SELRES again, but I'm calling PERS and NETC every now and then with similar questions and concerns, since I really think it's BS to change the rules of folks who are went into the IRR under one set of rules and have now had the rug pulled out....

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I am working on NRTC course 15012 "Enlisted Aid," it is easy. I'm almost done and it took about 1.5 hours. I'll let you know if they give me the NRTC retirement points of 8 or if I get the PERS 912 listing of 6. I hope you guys get the 20 for Public Affairs, that was another one that was fairly easy. I finished it a few years ago.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
ChopChick. Try JKO's Link 16 Joint Interoperability, J3OPUS109. It is fairly straightforward and worth 8 points.

Jeff R

I'm excited to see the NRTC courses back on the list. This gives me some small amount of hope that I will be able to transition from SELRES TO IRR to complete a few remaining years. Have a question though. Anyone have an idea why the NEETS courses are not listed for the CT community? I completed a couple of those while on AD and those are specifically designed for the Intel community. I just found it odd that they listed IS and IT but not CT. Thanks for any insight on that.

All- FYI that I called NPC today and they are now allowing 180 days to get points added to our records. Apparently there is only one person that is approved to enter the points into the system, but a few more people are in the process of being trained up. The NPC rep said that they are now in the process of entering points for people who sent in their courses back in June/July.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Whole heartedly agree... "slog" is the word. I just finished Chaplains Corp #1 and if that trend holds true for the remaining 4 Chaplains courses, I will probably have more time invested in the Chaplains courses than JMO at NWC...no lie.

Just finished Chaplain's Course Volume 3 - 11 points make 130 for the year. It took a long time - a longggg time.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Just finished Chaplain's Course Volume 3 - 11 points make 130 for the year. It took a long time - a longggg time.

I just finished chaplains history 2. Holy $h!t Ba!!s. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong does not begin to describe these courses. I've got 2 more in que...I don't know if I can muster the courage to do them.

In other news, check out NRTC courses Tools and Public Affairs...better ROI regarding time.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I just complete JKO course USA-FHS French Headstart 2 - 20 points. The advertised by the numbers hours for the course is 80. I beat the curve, but i'm not sure by how much. I'd guess I had somewhere between 55-65 hours invested in the course. It's not hard, but you need to concentrate. The course is composed of 11 courses. Class 00 is fundamentals and has 20 modules within the class. Those modules took me anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours. The remaining 10 Classes are identical in that they each have 5 modules and are formated the same. Once you crack the code on the modules, you can rip through these. When I started it would take me a couple hours per course, but after 2 courses, I cracked the code and I could rip through them in about 30 minutes tops. There's no way around the obstacles put in front of you...you have to learn french. Patience, determination and effort required.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Editorial: I wonder why the Navy doesn't allow you to learn Russian/ Mandarin/ Arabic/ Farsi for IRR points.

It seems to me, if there was a need to recall you from IRR for a large scale shooting war, that those language skills would be more valuable to the Navy than chaplain historical knowledge. The Pentagon Library already owns a subscription to Mango languages online, which is a Rosetta knockoff.

And it's beneficial no matter if we are allies with the Russians/ Chinese, adversaries, or neutral parties in an unclear contingency situation (e.g. conflict between third parties where we have interests but no active role).

gaj29

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Greatly appreciate the help. Where on NETC are the actual courses? Poked around what seemed like the entire site with no actual correspondence courses to be found. Thanks

On the NETC homepage, go to "Links" (top row, 3rd from the right). After "Links" opens, you will need to go to "Non-Resident Training Courses" which is 11th from the top. You may have trouble opening it in Firefox (I have to reopen it several times). Good luck.