• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

rob00000

All-
Now that the June list is still valid as the Sept list I was wondering if you are allowed to take any course on the list? Or, are they tied to your designator only?

Michael, they are NOT tied to your designator, not anymore anyway. Take ANY COURSE you want! Please go back & read my post from a few weeks ago. Chief Rincon in charge of the IRR Counselors told me the "Fields of Training" NO LONGER applies.

Wrong. What if you mail them & they get lost in the mail & arrive after your new year starts? You end up with a bad year due to the USPS screwing up? How unfair would that be?

Michael, you are reading way too far into this. It's pretty straight forward. The date on the certificate is the date & year it will be credited too.

Example: Your new year starts Oct 1, 2015. You complete 35 points on Sep 30th, 2015. The certificate reads Sep 30, 2015. You're all set! Period! If you wait 6 months to mail them in you will still get them credited to the year that ended on September 30, 2015

Got it, thanks. Reading through this thread it is somewhat easy to be overly cautious watching your 6. 3 more years and done!

Michael, they are NOT tied to your designator, not anymore anyway. Take ANY COURSE you want! Please go back & read my post from a few weeks ago. Chief Rincon in charge of the IRR Counselors told me the "Fields of Training" NO LONGER applies.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I started at page and am reading back to page 21 so far. Lots of great gouge.

rob00000

Got it, thanks. Reading through this thread it is somewhat easy to be overly cautious watching your 6. 3 more years and done!

I understand Michael. I'm in my 20th year right now & have 40 points already credited to this year. I've got 55 total with my gratuity points. I'll do some more but it feels fantastic to know I made it!! 20 good years!!

Hang in there! It feels great to get there. It feels better then I thought it would.

I understand Michael. I'm in my 20th year right now & have 40 points already credited to this year. I've got 55 total with my gratuity points. I'll do some more but it feels fantastic to know I made it!! 20 good years!!

Hang in there! It feels great to get there. It feels better then I thought it would.

Congrats to you! It's 2 weeks of CC crunch time for me..... can't WAIT to get to the finish line.

Has anyone found one of the web browsers to be least clunky when accessing JKO? For instance, J30PMN1225 gets hung up about every 5-6 slides using IE. Chrome and Opera both block JKO.

Has anyone found one of the web browsers to be least clunky when accessing JKO? For instance, J30PMN1225 gets hung up about every 5-6 slides using IE. Chrome and Opera both block JKO.

Disregard. Later on JKO posted a banner message saying that their system was having latency issues affecting the entire system. Has anyone else found that "J3OPMN1225- ISAF" gets hung up after the first module? If so, did you find a fix to progress on?

KevinIRR

I noticed that some of the courses on FEMA (Emergency Management Institute Independent Study) have similar but slightly different course numbers from the approved point list. For example, on the approved point list, there is IS-0660A, Introduction to Private-Public Partnerships ... However the actual course on the site is IS-0660 (without the A). There's some others where the version is one higher than the approved list. For example, IS-0241A on the list, but IS0241B on the site.

Does anyone know if PERS-92 is giving retirement points for these? Any issues?

dmcmd

Been following this thread the past few months since I am thinking about transferring to the IRR in Sep 2017. I'll have 12 years (6 active and 6 Selres) by that time.

It looks like the only courses that are realistic for IRR enlisted sailors are the FEMA and JKO courses. I realize a lot of things can change but it doesn't seem like there are enough points there for me to retire unless the courses are repeatable or they add more options. Any advice on how to scratch out 35-40 points a year to finish up my last 8 years of service?

I'm in a similar situation with 10 years combined. I'm in SELRES but would like to know if IRR (active status pool) versus VTU will be a viable option if I plug away (and can complete viable courses) for 10 years.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm in a similar situation with 10 years combined. I'm in SELRES but would like to know if IRR (active status pool) versus VTU will be a viable option if I plug away (and can complete viable courses) for 10 years.

No. The Navy Reserves is actively throwing up roadblocks and has gotten rid of the vast majority of IRR courses - there is barely 3-4 years at the minimum 50 pts per year. If you want a reserve retirement, you must stay SelRes or VTU until you have 18 good years.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Wrong. What if you mail them & they get lost in the mail & arrive after your new year starts? You end up with a bad year due to the USPS screwing up? How unfair would that be?

Michael, you are reading way too far into this. It's pretty straight forward. The date on the certificate is the date & year it will be credited too.

Example: Your new year starts Oct 1, 2015. You complete 35 points on Sep 30th, 2015. The certificate reads Sep 30, 2015. You're all set! Period! If you wait 6 months to mail them in you will still get them credited to the year that ended on September 30, 2015

Incorrect. It's when they are received...they don't back credit points to the year the course was taken if the year has already closed out. I specifically asked that question of PERS. Now, that was 2 years ago...if somethings changed, I need to know because that screws up my whole plan.

N4Life

Points are based on the date of completion.

I have completed courses the last day of year then submitted the completion certificates months later and I have submitted certificates from courses completed 2years previously that -912 never received. I received credit for all of them. And third: Pers-912 stated that its based on the date of completion not receipt.

They don't back credit in the situation where one year you earn 45pts and the next you earned 55. You can't take 5pts from this year and associate it for last year.

I will also point out that Pers-912 (actually all of NPC) routinely gives out wrong information and then blames the Sailor for following through on this answer and not knowing the real answer.

Last edited:

atmahan

... facility for offence.
Is PERS going to poop out a new course list for the new FY?

I have also been patiently waiting for the same thing. This Summer I sent off a question to NRTC asking if their courses will be re-instated to earn Retirement Points.

NRTC responded by saying that N7 told them that NRTC courses that met the Points Requirements were on the newest iteration of the Authorized Points Listing and that the list was under review by ASECNAV.

As soon as it is Approved then the new list would be disseminated.

Again, that was back in the Summer. Now I understand that our Government is no Spring Chicken, but come on!

My "Starting to Feel Desperate" Mode is rationalizing that the new list will come out with the new Fiscal Year.

If it doesn't then I am afraid will advance to "Yup, this is Full-On Desperate" Mode.

Please PM me if you want more details (no much, just the official correspondence). (Open to anyone in this thread).

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Points are based on the date of completion.

I have completed courses the last day of year then submitted the completion certificates months later and I have submitted certificates from courses completed 2years previously that -912 never received. I received credit for all of them. And third: Pers-912 stated that its based on the date of completion not receipt.

They don't back credit in the situation where one year you earn 45pts and the next you earned 55. You can't take 5pts from this year and associate it for last year.

I will also point out that Pers-912 (actually all of NPC) routinely gives out wrong information and then blames the Sailor for following through on this answer and not knowing the real answer.

I'm confused. Scenario: I complete a course in November. My anniversary is December. I submit the certificate in January. Do the points count for the year I started in January or the previous year? I am operating under the assumption (based on conversations with PERS) that PERS would credit the points in the anniversary year in which PERS received them...not the year in which I completed them. Is there an instruction with this information?