• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correct Push-up stance

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Changing hand position actually changes the muscles you are working during the exercise. Hand closer to shoulder width works shoulders, while a wider position works your chest. Both will work your triceps. I recommend using your stronger muscle group and switching if think you can get a few more.

And as for resting officially you are not supposed to rest in a "peak" position.
I'm guessing you're referring to keeping your back, butt and legs aligned and not resting in the "up" position. Really, you can do what you want (TECHNICALLY), so long as you don't break the three magic rules:

1) Don't touch the deck with your body
2) Don't take your hands/feet off the deck
3) Keep your back, butt and legs aligned

Breaking those rules or running out of time stops the pushup portion of the test. Nothing else (legally).

originalbigjim

I think you can change positions of your hands as long as they dont leave the ground, so i guess you could slide them... also as a tip for form it is good to practice with your head up, it keeps you back and butt straight also when you are dying put your head down and then you can use different muscles. that is just my experience.

Fixer2Flyer

Use to fix it...Now I'm going to fly it
Just take this advice from one who has done the Navy PRT over 25+ times. Find out what your max is for pus-ups, get in the correct position and when they say go, PUSH THEM OUT! Don't worry about changing your hand position, just maintain your form. If you are that worried about doing push-ups then what are you doing trying to go in the military or for that matter Aviation. The only thing that should be better then Aviation when it comes to PT is SpecOp and SpecWar. And when it really comes down to it, the Navy PRT is not that tough.

Rasczak

Marine
Just take this advice from one who has done the Navy PRT over 25+ times. Find out what your max is for pus-ups, get in the correct position and when they say go, PUSH THEM OUT! Don't worry about changing your hand position, just maintain your form. If you are that worried about doing push-ups then what are you doing trying to go in the military or for that matter Aviation. The only thing that should be better then Aviation when it comes to PT is SpecOp and SpecWar. And when it really comes down to it, the Navy PRT is not that tough.
They aren't tough, it's just a predisposition to "oh crap this is the military I'm trying out for" or laziness, and people stress and worry. In the end, we all realize a prt is more of a pain in the arse (for lack of better metapohor/word etc.) than tough.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The only thing that should be better then Aviation when it comes to PT is SpecOp and SpecWar. And when it really comes down to it, the Navy PRT is not that tough.

And you get this from where again? Come off the high horse. If you could be so kind, please let me know where a submariner performing the PFT should fit in relation to SWO's and supply folks. I would guess above both, but what do I know...:sleep_125

PNight12

During the situp portion of the PRT do you rest in the up position as well? I have heard conflicting reports on this issue.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
damn...that seems like it would suck more than doing the situps straight. Its only 2 minutes...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
During the situp portion of the PRT do you rest in the up position as well? I have heard conflicting reports on this issue.

No you can rest in the down position...just dont take your hands off your shoulders.

Fixer2Flyer

Use to fix it...Now I'm going to fly it
And you get this from where again? Come off the high horse. If you could be so kind, please let me know where a submariner performing the PFT should fit in relation to SWO's and supply folks. I would guess above both, but what do I know...:sleep_125

I'm sorry bro, I didn't think anyone would get upset about a comment complimenting Aviation. For your question, I would think submariners would actually fall below the SWO's and supply "folks." The reason for this would be because the SWO's and supply would have more chances to hit the gym and run, I would guess. Then again how would I know since I have been Aviation for the last 10 years.
Oh, wait I just realized we are completely of the topic of this forum. :D

schwarti

Contributor
Just wanted to say thanks for the gouge - I must have missed the "keep your eyes parallel to the deck" bit, and I just tried it a second ago after a full workout - and I -definitely- noticed the difference. Very positive. Thanks again, guys. (So now I can do more and they're actually correct!)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you want to get the form right, practice by placing a running shoe on its side under your chest, with the toe facing perpendicular to you. When you perform your pushup, go down all the way until your chest touches the shoe. This helps you know how far to go down when you do the actual PRT.

For the situps, I use a sweatshirt on my back. Its helped me perform up about 10 more situps because of that extra comfort.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
If you want to get the form right, practice by placing a running shoe on its side under your chest, with the toe facing perpendicular to you. When you perform your pushup, go down all the way until your chest touches the shoe. This helps you know how far to go down when you do the actual PRT.

O fucking gross! I think I would do more pushups just to get away from the smell! :D