• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus House Help

RunninUte

Ute Nation
I recently selected P3 and will be moving from Pensacola over to Corpus within the week. I have tried looking over some housing websites and have not come up with very much information.

I would love if anyone around that area could throw some information my way to help me and my wife out. We are looking for a 3 to 4 bedroom house that accepts pets and has a backyard. Close to base is always a plus, I keep hearing "live on the island," but I really am unfamiliar with the area.

I appreciate any information and help.

Runninute

gaetabob

pilot
I can't name any place in particular off the bat, but if once you get here you look on the announcement board on the 2nd deck of the wing bldg (bldg 1824...where you initially check in), there are some places listed. As people have said, try to find a place on the island (North Padre)...it's much nicer and only about 10-15 min to base. You can also try calling (361) 949-8282..."Realty World" real estate brokers...they manage a lot of properties on the island and could help you get started. Hope this helps...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
"Beach club condominiums" (read: apartments). On the island. Decent prices. Google em or PM me for more info.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Beach club lacks a yard... I am sure if you just drive around the island when you get to Corpus you can find a house or townhouse on a canal (or close) for rent for a reasonable amount. I highly encourage you to live on the Island.

Rg9

pilot
My wife and I were in the EXACT same boat as you - dogs that need a fenced backyard, close to base, etc. Unfortunately, the house we're moving out of has already been rented out, otherwise I'd recommend it.

Housing, in all honesty, kind of sucks here. It took forever to find something for a decent price. I recommend avoiding the island. It's pricey for what you get and far away from everything (besides the beach - which sucks compared to P'cola).

Look in Flour Bluff (the mass of land just south of the base). Make sure you see the place before signing a lease. There are some shady neighborhoods, but also some nice ones. We live on Saint Peter St. There may be some good houses around here. If I see any for rent, I'll let you know.

Btw, look on craigslist if you haven't. That's how we found ours.

Rg9

pilot
How about Naval housing? Anyone try it since it was renovated in 2005?
"Uh, yes sir, you are RATED for a bigger house, but since you're a student, you get the equivalent of what an E-3 gets."

At least that's what they told us when we checked in.

Navyfan06

pilot
I currently live in housing on Corpus. Its not a bad deal at all. No CCAD traffic at 6 am, back yard for my dog, close to base ect ect. In all honesty, unless you have more than 1 kid you will rate one of the two bedroom style units. One is slightly bigger than the other, but not by much. They are infact the same ones that the E-3's with a family will rate... like the poster said above. But they are pretty good size units, I would estimate 1500 sq ft and I have the smaller 2 bedroom. There is a ton of storage.

But Corpus is PPV housing so pretty much you will live next to enlisted guys/gals who are married and/or have a family. Not bad, my neighbors are all pretty cool. Also the gas/electric bills are all metered which means that they will allot a portion of your housing allowance for bills, if you go over, you pay if you don't you get a refund. My roommate and I use all the hot water/stove gas and AC we want and have received refunds of around $125 each month that my roommate and I split, and our neighbors get around the same rebate back as well, some a little more some a little less. Pretty nice. If you have any question on the Corpus base housing PM me.

RunninUte

Ute Nation
I appreciate the help so far to this point. I will be heading down on March 28th and start looking around. Move is scheduled on April 4th (which my wife gets to deal with alone! She is excited let me tell you) Just gotta get down there and get an address so my stuff doesnt go into storage and has more of a chance of being broken/stolen :)

I will keep looking into the info given so far and keep calling around, more help is always welcomed.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I'm coordinating with my roommate right now--he's got a house in on the island and I think he's losing his tenants soon. I'll send you a PM once I know more.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"Uh, yes sir, you are RATED for a bigger house, but since you're a student, you get the equivalent of what an E-3 gets."

At least that's what they told us when we checked in.
And you accepted that answer? You are an Officer, not a student, you have a paygrade and a nice chunk of BAH that the housing office is going to take for installation expenses.

Sorry, not dumping on you, just the organiztions that are supposed to take care of us, medical, housing, PSDs/PSAs, base facilities etc that hassle ME as an Officer, I always wonder how they treat Airman Jones. I take personal glee in lighting up any of those self important busy bodies that try and deprive you of your entitlements. Amazing what power you have when you say "show me that in writing"... "that answer is unacceptable"... etc...

/end rant

Rg9

pilot
And you accepted that answer? You are an Officer, not a student, you have a paygrade and a nice chunk of BAH that the housing office is going to take for installation expenses.

Sorry, not dumping on you, just the organiztions that are supposed to take care of us, medical, housing, PSDs/PSAs, base facilities etc that hassle ME as an Officer, I always wonder how they treat Airman Jones. I take personal glee in lighting up any of those self important busy bodies that try and deprive you of your entitlements. Amazing what power you have when you say "show me that in writing"... "that answer is unacceptable"... etc...

/end rant
No, they didn't have availability anyway, so I didn't even try. I didn't want to live on base regardless. I know of one guy who made a fuss until they agreed to pay for his storage unit in town.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None

/end rant

This is the Navy... NOT the AF. You want to get treated well? Join a different service.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
This is the Navy... NOT the AF. You want to get treated well? Join a different service.

I think Web-san's point was that the infrastructure they do have set up to help people should at the very least treat us like human beings, not like a POS. I don't think he meant to say we should be given pedicures on check-in at the Q or whatever the AF gets up to these days.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I will admit I went out on a wild tangent with my post, that at best was loosely linked to the original post. But I hope your comment is being said tongue in cheek! :D Difficult to tell over the internet. But, being Navy != putting up with substandard service from our supporting agencies. Nor do I equate being an Officer with special treatment. I get concerned when I, with 17 years experience in the Navy get the run around by civilian personnel at a housing office or your friendly neighborhood PSD. How are my Es getting treated? ... It just frustrates me as a DIVO, that we ask so much of our personnel, high ITEMPOs, risk their lives, do more with less, and then they get run around by organzations that should be catering to their needs. Whether its at housing or the 2 month turnaround on travel claims, all the while they are on the GCC Eagles hit list... oh well... /end rant