• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus Christi/Las Cruces Living Situations

VTFlyer

I am transferring to Corpus mid-Oct for Primary. I have a dog and had originally planned on bringing her with me. Now we are being told that its very possible that the Corpus guys will actually go on a winter det to Las Cruces.

What is the living situation like in Las Cruces? I assume we would be on per diem, and having a dog in a hotel isn't really fair to either me or the dog. (granted I could even find a pet friendly hotel there)

I am thinking about getting her sent up to my brothers in Virginia or finding a foster home. Ideally I want to keep her with me. We are already looking at houses in North Padre for the move to Corpus, but I am starting to wonder if getting a house in Corpus is even worth it.

sickboy

pilot
When I was out in Cruces we all stayed in a hotel. I don't remember having any say about that. Even my buddy who was from Las Cruces stayed there.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
When Whiting investigated a winter det for the T-6, it wasn't a possibility like it was with the T-34 due to a bunch of different factors (mostly mx related). Corpus may come up with a similar opinion. Do the research on the front end for boarding facilities and doggy daycare. Cruces dets typically were scheduled to last 2 weeks but have taken as long as 6 on occasion. Having a dog in a house on the island is very doable. The chances of the entire household being gone at the same time should be relatively low, just be prepared for that possibility and pay forward dog watching activities with friends and make reservations early with boarding facilities if they situation dictates that they'll be required.

VTFlyer

When Whiting investigated a winter det for the T-6, it wasn't a possibility like it was with the T-34 due to a bunch of different factors (mostly mx related). Corpus may come up with a similar opinion. Do the research on the front end for boarding facilities and doggy daycare. Cruces dets typically were scheduled to last 2 weeks but have taken as long as 6 on occasion. Having a dog in a house on the island is very doable. The chances of the entire household being gone at the same time should be relatively low, just be prepared for that possibility and pay forward dog watching activities with friends and make reservations early with boarding facilities if they situation dictates that they'll be required.

That's good to hear, I was under the impression the dets to Las Cruces would be longer.

When I was in primary about 50% of students went to the Cruces det at any one time. I never got put on the list to go, so I never went.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
The way the 2013 det worked, studs were sent to Roswell for all of contacts (to include PAs) and forms, returning for RIs. With your report date and the way dudes in Corpus have been waiting for on-wings/planes, you will unfortunately probably hit the sweet spot for a long time in NM (i.e. starting Fams in Dec/Jan) if the det works the same way it did this year. I will say that it shouldn't be a problem finding people to take care of the dog while you're out there - but the likelihood of you bringing it on det is basically zero. And this is all assuming 28 and the T34, if you go to 27 and the T6, there may be an entirely different det situation (maybe even none).

sickboy

pilot
The way the 2013 det worked, studs were sent to Roswell for all of contacts (to include PAs) and forms, returning for RIs. With your report date and the way dudes in Corpus have been waiting for on-wings/planes, you will unfortunately probably hit the sweet spot for a long time in NM (i.e. starting Fams in Dec/Jan) if the det works the same way it did this year. I will say that it shouldn't be a problem finding people to take care of the dog while you're out there - but the likelihood of you bringing it on det is basically zero. And this is all assuming 28 and the T34, if you go to 27 and the T6, there may be an entirely different det situation (maybe even none).

That's exactly how it worked for me too, with a few people rotating in and out for forms and PAs. I was BIs through Forms back in 2012.