• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus Christi Course Rules

Jackal8

I was wondering if anybody has put major ground reference points into google earth or a similar program? If so, would it be possible to link it somehow? I did a search and I apologize if something similar has already been linked somewhere. Any help is appreciated.

TBone

pilot
Working on something like that, any specific questions? The course rules aren't too bad. Have you already started FAMS?

tiger84

LT
pilot
Corpus course rules are super easy, although not quite as easy as the Las Cruces course rules. Either way it's not too hard to get them down. I'm not sure how much Google Earth would help anyway since it's going to be a much different view from the cockpit.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Google Earth will help with course rules and area orientation. Granted, I'm in Primary at Whiting so our Course Rules our much more ridiculously complex than those at Corpus. Having said that I found Google Earth to be very helpful when initially learning course rules and getting my area orientation up to speed. It helps to create that 'mental map' in your head and keep you orientated.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure how much Google Earth would help anyway since it's going to be a much different view from the cockpit.
You'll learn that a good map study with charts and/or satellite imagery is always helpful in unfamiliar areas, even if they are not from the same altitude perspective.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Altitude and the viewpoint within Google Earth can be changed, providing a better view of what it looks like from the aircraft. I ain't gonna lie, I used Google Earth for trying to figure out the Corpus Christi course rules. And in regards to Whiting being more difficult, I disagree. There are definitely more turns and altitudes, and ground references at North Whiting, but the communication and coordination is more complex at Corpus Christi. They each have challenges.

MasterBates

They are not THAT bad..

I like Krock Course Rules better though.

HTs had the nastiest course rules of anywhere I have been though.

STLEngineer

pilot
The problem I had with course rules for Corpus and Google Earth were the shorelines. They don't look like the google earth images, at least the ones I tried to use when I was in primary. The mud flats never looked right.

It's good for a basic reference, and while it seems foreign, you'll get the hang of it soon.

Just draw it out a few times on a map and you'll be OK after a few flights, like others said, the radio calls are the toughest part, just about everything else is shorelines and a few reference points (Baffin Bay, Malachite Beach, Bob Hall Pier, Port A, 9 Mile Point and A-Lib). Throw in the camel humps, shrimp ponds and shamrock and you're good to go.

tiger84

LT
pilot
The problem I had with course rules for Corpus and Google Earth were the shorelines. They don't look like the google earth images, at least the ones I tried to use when I was in primary. The mud flats never looked right.

It's good for a basic reference, and while it seems foreign, you'll get the hang of it soon.

Just draw it out a few times on a map and you'll be OK after a few flights, like others said, the radio calls are the toughest part, just about everything else is shorelines and a few reference points (Baffin Bay, Malachite Beach, Bob Hall Pier, Port A, 9 Mile Point and A-Lib). Throw in the camel humps, shrimp ponds and shamrock and you're good to go.

You can also grab a poster size satellite shot of the area at one of the local bait and tackle shops. It provides decent detail and you can draw in the working areas, course rules, etc...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You can also grab a poster size satellite shot of the area at one of the local bait and tackle shops. It provides decent detail and you can draw in the working areas, course rules, etc...

They have this in the Student Ready-Room/SDO and it is a pretty good reference.

I have been in Las Cruces for almost a month and I could still probably fly Corpus Course Rules decently without getting yelled at... The checkpoints mentioned above are just about all you need. Know the altitudes to fly out and back in, the appropriate WTDs, and you're good to go.

Corpus seems like a LOT at first but after learning all the syllabus manuevers, Course rules are CAKE in retrospect. Don't sweat it!

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I have some of the course rules in a google earth file. It's fairly decent, though to be honest making it helped way more than the end product itself. But it usually is the case that the best gouge is your own gouge. I tried uploading the file, but the .kmz extension that google earth uses isn't allowed, so hopefully the .zip file works for you. Feel free to use, abuse, and pass around, but as always make sure you study from the official course rules book.

Attachments

• Course Rules.kmz.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 167

Trev82

pilot
SD Nalgene i'm going to corpus in a few days to start primary and had a few questions about your course rules creation. Why are the departure and arrival patterns not actually at NAS Corpus but at Waldron and Aransas? Also what did you use to draw those lines on google earth. Thanks i appreciate it, this is good stuff to get me acquainted with the area and scenery even if its not from the cockpit

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

Try the "birds eye" option here http://maps.live.com/.

You can rotate the view and it is fairly recent.

I don't know if you can link.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Altitude and the viewpoint within Google Earth can be changed, providing a better view of what it looks like from the aircraft. I ain't gonna lie, I used Google Earth for trying to figure out the Corpus Christi course rules. And in regards to Whiting being more difficult, I disagree. There are definitely more turns and altitudes, and ground references at North Whiting, but the communication and coordination is more complex at Corpus Christi. They each have challenges.

Have things changed over the years? From what I recall, Corpus was much easier in every respect. And yes kmac, you are gay :icon_smil