• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORPORATE DOWNSIZING!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To continue along what Patmack is saying, this is not limited to officers or aviators. There's a sweeping change in the Navy in an effort to make things more effecient. With a two front war dragging on, everyone is trying to make the money last. Recently, Perform To Serve (PTS) was implemented, which is essentially kicking out overmanned rates. I had a ****hot AM1 working for me, but he will be moving over to the MA rate soon. If you just aren't performing, out you go. There is also a full court press to reduce wasteful spending through NAVRIIP. Squadrons (air and surface) have had their fuel cut way down (ours was in half). As a result, commands are going to have to make their training more effecient, and sortie lengths will shorten (we went from 3 hour bags to 2.2). It's just all part of the fat cutting.

Meridiani

I'm still curious about the point riley made--what will be the impact of Congress pushing for a larger military, since CNO has specifically called for a leaner Navy? I wonder how the increase in size of the Air Force, Marines, and Army (assuming this move is approved) will affect the budget environment for the Navy.

DairyCreamer

I've got 4 years and 9 months before my 27th birthday. I sincerely hope that sometime in the 3-4 year timeframe, the pendulum again swings toward the "we need people" range :)

~Nate

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. The folks really getting ripped are the prior enlisted with several years of honorable quality service that now will be out of a job. Those guys are really screwed and I'm sorry the Navy didn't work something out for them. Gatordev and Patmack picked up nicely where I left off before. I just would like to encourage those that are getting Rifed to look at the USNR. You can hang around for many years as a 1300 or 1100 and have several oportunities to redesignate to something else on the Reserve side. There are always opportunites to go on active duty for those still wishing to serve even after the Navy let them down. As to congress wanting to enlarge the military, the devil is in the details. First you have to know how much money you are getting. Congress can authorize more troop and sailors but not give the military the money. Then they can also specificly designate the money only for certain programs or personnel. That may not be the best use for the money as for as the military is concerned. Don't forget, an election is coming up. It is easy to say you want a bigger military and then quietly not deliever the right money for the right uses. Authorizing a ship for construction, for instance, and then not funding it for the following years of personnel costs for the crew and maintenance hurts the Navy because it then must take money from other programs to keep the ship crewed and in working order. As the Navy brass has been thru this a time or two, they are not eagar to jump on the current calls for a bigger military.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The real opportunities are in Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare (MIUW, the name may have changed slightly), Port Security, Force Protection, and of course Intel. Intel would require the designator change sooner then later but the others you can jump right into as a 1xxx. Otherwise take what you can get to get a foot in the door and shop for a better deal later. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.