• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coolest Dad Ever

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Wow, I think the former chief pilot they had on there said it best: "not a wise move."

That said, if I heard a takeoff clearance come from a kid at a Navy tower it probably would cause me to chuckle.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Pre-9/11, I doubt everyone would have gotten so worked up about this. Now, the hammer will come down very hard on the dad and everyone in the room.

I can't speak for everyone on here but I probably would have thought it was kind of funny if a guy put his kid on the radio for a second, and probably would have reacted like the pilot did by telling the kid he did an "awesome job." You just kind of assume that the dad is looking over his shoulder and feeding him the calls.

Brunes

pilot
Yeah....It's pretty clear that the kid was supervised and everyone seemed to enjoy it...but a below on headwork for that controller.

JonDW7

Pre-9/11, I doubt everyone would have gotten so worked up about this. Now, the hammer will come down very hard on the dad and everyone in the room.

Agreed. This really isn't as huge of a deal as Foxnews is making it out to be.

CAMike

None
Contributor

I can't speak for everyone on here but I probably would have thought it was kind of funny if a guy put his kid on the radio for a second, and probably would have reacted like the pilot did by telling the kid he did an "awesome job." You just kind of assume that the dad is looking over his shoulder and feeding him the calls.

Exactly. I dare say "Mom/Dad" was on a headset and WOULD have immediately corrected any error made by the little one. It's frustrating that our society has mostly abandoned "take you son to work day". Sometimes that little hands on moment has a significant positive influence on a child, which they certainly need more of these days.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
This brings back the story of that Russian pilot that let his son "fly" the airplane. Of course it was on autopilot, but at that time the Airbus was not fully controlled by the autopilot. So they ended up banking like 60 degrees or something like that and then they stalled, crashed and burned in Siberia with like 150 people on board.
Not as bad here of course, but there is a cause for concern maybe?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This brings back the story of that Russian pilot that let his son "fly" the airplane. Of course it was on autopilot, but at that time the Airbus was not fully controlled by the autopilot. So they ended up banking like 60 degrees or something like that and then they stalled, crashed and burned in Siberia with like 150 people on board.
Not as bad here of course, but there is a cause for concern maybe?

That was Aeroflot Fight 593, the kid unknowingly disconnected part of the autopilot while in the seat.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I did the same when I was about 10 years old when my mom took me to work. I wasn't on tower though---ramp control. I didn't pass taxi instructions, only informed them of what gate they could expect on arrival. The pilots kept calling me ma'am. "I'm a sir!" I'd shoot back and they'd laugh. It was a great experience.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Too bad, these things are great for the kids and as long as nobody gets hurt...there is no issue. Lawyers and the posts on the internets ruin everything, I guess.

ryan1234

Can't be any worse than some of the foreign students/pilots on the radio.

When I was real young, the pilots on a SwissAir A330 let me sit in the right seat for a few minutes over the Atlantic....(obviously pre-9/11)... it was a great experience!

Lights Out

No harm no foul.
Obviously there is a trained controller right there, watching over the kid and handling unexpected calls...
Too bad they're probably going to make an example of this guy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Fox made a big deal about how many were aboard the two planes the kid spoke to and where they were going. All he gave them were pushes to the next controller. It's not as if he was giving them ASR finals in IMC or anything.

We're in a zero-tolerance, obey the letter of laws instead of using judgment era. That's just the way it's become.