• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Controversial Apache attack that resulted in death of journalists released

sanders

Why did the Helo shoot at the van that came to pick up the dead/wounded? I thought medical vehicles were protected under the ROE. It was not marked with a red cross/red moon or whatever, but it looked like the men getting out to collect the dead and wounded were unarmed. Not trying to cause a shit storm, I'm just curious about what the ROE say about a situation like this.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ROE is not discussed here. However, your questions are more related to the Geneva Convention, which I don't know off the top of my head.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
After Haiti I lost the last little bit of respect for media that I had. They care nothing about helping and only about making their story look good.

tonio

The following was the most disgusted I've been with a camera crew/journalist. Seeing a guy stick a camera in a dying persons face, completely detached to his subject's suffering made my blood boil. Hiding behind objectivity and getting the message out to the masses doesn't carry much weight IMHO.

These guys were concerned only with the scoop. For some reason, the story would not have sold as well if they had aided or comforted a dying man, so they didn't. They used him, instead. Inhumane and disgusting, and a sad commentary on the current ethics of journalism. The Apache kill tape doesn't surprise me, after seeing the shenanigans mainstream media openly pulls.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/21/haiti.police.shooting/index.html

A situation came up like this with Brian Williams on the whole Haiti thing, he was asked in an interview about when he first got to Haiti, if he was tempted to turn off the camera and help out rather than to continue reporting. He stated (and I am paraphrasing here) that yes, he did want to help out but on a much bigger scale that if the severity of the situation didn't get reported and seen then the aid wouldn't come. It is just my opinion but I think Haiti is a different beast than Iraq was, you're talking about a war zone versus a disaster area and in one I think the media should play a limited role if any because the common viewer will never understand and the other requires the media presence so the common viewer may understand.

exhelodrvr

pilot
A situation came up like this with Brian Williams on the whole Haiti thing, he was asked in an interview about when he first got to Haiti, if he was tempted to turn off the camera and help out rather than to continue reporting. He stated (and I am paraphrasing here) that yes, he did want to help out but on a much bigger scale that if the severity of the situation didn't get reported and seen then the aid wouldn't come. It is just my opinion but I think Haiti is a different beast than Iraq was, you're talking about a war zone versus a disaster area and in one I think the media should play a limited role if any because the common viewer will never understand and the other requires the media presence so the common viewer may understand.

Yes, but if the media really cared about what was best for Haiti, and not what was best for their ratings, they would have just sent in a couple of crews (total) in the early days, and shared the coverage among themselves. The media took up valuable resources (security, ramp space, air traffic) that could have been better used elsewhere.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ethics in journalism died a long time ago. It used to be 'get it first and get it right', now it's just 'get it first'.

Absolutely agree. Going out on a limb, searching for SOMETHING good to say..... the closest I can come up with are the few idiots who put themselves in a dangerous useless position, get captured and spend time prisoner with the enemy. At the very LEAST we get to debrief them and learn something to help out military members who go through SERE schools. IIRC, most journalists were more lessons learned of what NOT to do...

Fuck the media. It always amazes me that no matter what the story or issue, there's always some asshole who wants 5 minutes on the news who is willing to make a statement. If the media asked what groceries I bought at the store, I'd tell them to fuck off (and then "no comment" :))

Why did the Helo shoot at the van that came to pick up the dead/wounded? I thought medical vehicles were protected under the ROE. It was not marked with a red cross/red moon or whatever, but it looked like the men getting out to collect the dead and wounded were unarmed. Not trying to cause a shit storm, I'm just curious about what the ROE say about a situation like this.

You'd never know unless you were briefed on the ROE and level of hostility etc in the given AOR. My guess, based on context, was that the van was simply trying to collect anyone left and, more importantly, the weapons left over. This is hardly a red crescent collecting and tending to the wounded, and more an enemy ally helping out their buddies in the shit, and collecting all their dangerous personal effects. You'll notice in the video they are saying on the tapes "Come on, just GO for a weapon!" They were really hoping they'd reach for a weapon or show intent other than simply a medical evacuation.

bobbybrock

None
On my second trip to the sand box we had a large amount of inbeds with us. As a dustoff unit we saw it as a good chance to show the public what we do. To include providing care for those who just tried to kill our bretheren. Thoise mission weren't the norm but they did happen more often than not. None of it was ever documented by the press. Instead they looked for the different anlge story that would get published.
For the most part we were shown in a good light. But the amount of sensationalism in these stories was rediculous. I rarley let them fly with me for that very reason. When a story would come out I'd ask the qouted pilot if he really said that and the answer was often no.

AGC525

As far as the children being involved, it wouldn't suprice me if they use them as "human shields" and force thier kids along. And if things go south, the media will have a field day with it. If they're willing to die for Allah, I'm sure sacrificing thier kids isn't a problem for them. They probably figure, even if we all get killed, the children will drown out the real story.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As far as the children being involved, it wouldn't suprice me if they use them as "human shields" and force thier kids along. And if things go south, the media will have a field day with it. If they're willing to die for Allah, I'm sure sacrificing thier kids isn't a problem for them. They probably figure, even if we all get killed, the children will drown out the real story.

Every time there's an engagement with Israel and its neighbors, that is pretty much SOP for the bad guy. They shoot at, throw rocks at, launch RPGs at the Israelis and strategically place women and children up front (many of whom are combatants as well, with guns of their own). Media sees children and women getting shot, and plasters "big, bad Israel" all over the news.

These people can't win against us guns vs guns, so they use all the other (smart) tactics they have, such as using (even our own) media against us.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Dedicating the film to the families of the correspondents-- I don't see any reason why they should need to see such a film.

These war correspondents knew perfectly well that they were going unarmed into war zones in order to, possibily, show a truth, or, more likely, to gain fame through showing the suffering of others. And now we have seen their suffering; I wonder if they would be pleased to know that their families saw them die--

So, war is ugly and snafus happen; who'd have thought--

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Here's what Washington Post reporter David Finkel has to say:
http://www.wbur.org/npr/125630795

He was attached to the grunt unit you see in the video.
"Sometimes you see what you think you see" Well no shit Sherlock.

jtmedli

pilot
Here's what Washington Post reporter David Finkel has to say:
http://www.wbur.org/npr/125630795

He was attached to the grunt unit you see in the video.
"Sometimes you see what you think you see" Well no shit Sherlock.

Yeah what a retarded thing to say. How about this for a change: "Well 50% of Americans Bitch about he Ipad being too small for internet browsing and these Apache pilots are making life or death decisions based on what they see on a monitor about half that size so how about being a little less critical, Bob."

Did you notice how Finkel's response was "...well...that's for someone else to decide." How about making your F-ing mind up and taking a stance. The one guy sounds like he's trying to crucify the pilots and Finkel doesn't even act like he really has an opinion. Were you there or weren't you?

"The video...it's disturbing in so many ways" - Yeah, it's called war. That's what happens when you go B-bopping down alley ways in a hot LZ with dudes toting AK's and RPG Launchers. I don't care if you're just a journalist. That doesn't mean we should hold fire so you can get a nice picture of your homeboy shooting his RPG at us.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Ya, I was pretty disappointed in Mr. Finkel. He said at the beginning he was on the program to add a little context to the video. But all he talked about was how bad the previous month had been. Most of his answers seemed very passive. I think the part about the military not being able to investigate itself irritated me the most though. Thanks for the support guys.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
unedited video here:

Investigation report here:

I agree with what's been posted... If you embed with insurgents, standby for heavy rolls.

ryan1234

I just can't understand what father would hear cannon fire (or other destructive sounds) and see a bunch of dead bodies chunky and freshly misted.... and still keep his kids around.